• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I started hunting doves in the late 60s, on family land. In the 70s we had way too many useless, and downright rude, stops by the GWs. Seemed they were on a mission to establish they were the biggest A holes in law enforcement. In the 70s I hunted exclusively with a side by side. The GWs would wait at the road and stop us, and everyone else, heading back, every time. License, bird count and gun plugs. My great uncle Gail would walk up and ask " ya kill anything other than time today Bub? Gail carried a SxS and he would hold it out, then me next, then little brother with his single shot, then later a SxS. No problem with 3 shot plugs. Our bird count was always dead on, and Gail would add, " sorry to waste your time Bub, but as your all caught up now why don't you go F. off somewhere else. Last time I was stopped with in the mid 80s. Never subsequent. Our current GW is a peach. I have called several times on poachers and for general questions. He called when they had a pedicular problem and wanted easy access to a remote part of the conservation area behind us, He has the combination but wanted to be sure it was ok.
    Guns International

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Most LE officers usually don't bother people that are obeying the laws. Funny how that works out that when you're being lawful and law abiding they tend to leave you alone.

In almost forty years of hunting, I have never once had a bad encounter with a game warden, Dating all the way back to the mid 1970's.Hmmm sure makes me curious at all these bad attitudes!
    Fishing from the bank few years back in Oklahoma and two wardens pulled up in a boat to check our license. Showed them mine - ok. They asked my brother-in-law who just replied, nope I don't have one. They both raised their eyes until I told him to show his driver's license since he was in his early 70's and didn't require one. I guess he wanted to poke the bear and see how they'd react.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    C7CBAD31-A8A6-4960-809A-CB295F76D3EF.jpeg

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    >
    I have hunted Texas for some 60 years, same for LA. Less frequently FL, MS, CO, & NM.

I have seen a clear and emphatic improvement in both TPW and DPS officers attitudes towards Citizens during that time. Sometimes around 1990, there was abrupt noticeable improvement of field Officers’ and DPS Patrol Cops attitudes towards regular Citizens.

No one ever explained, the TPW nor DPS.

Also, about the same time, we saw marked increase of others outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. A couple really “bad” hunting seasons made us “sportsmen” realize that the once silly seasons and limits had become serious issues, So, we quit trying to violate them. Almost eveone I went with did this about same time. We quit breaking laws, not from enforcement pressures, but b/c we could SEE that total activity threatened game populations, fish to lesser degree. We wanted to preserve hunting and fishing for future folks. Those two forces merged. I was DU “sponsor” ~ 33 years, and City Leader a couple. GCCCA & CCA member. I no longer have any Friends in DPS, but do have several who are TPW Officers, active & retired. Yes, I do consult them re game, details, regs, observations, etc. and RELY on their advice. Of course, today, many or most are actual graduate Game Biologists, so much the better. And, the improvement in TPW has been noticeably greater than in neighboring states. Being ancient, all of my current activities are in SW LA or South & Central Texas.

Believe me, this way is better for everyone !

The old ways may be gone, good riddance, but not forgotten.

leVieux
    An observation....

It seems to me, strictly from your posts, game wardens got "better" about the time you quit thinking you were too good to follow the game laws.

Just sayin.

Crossroads

Wild West Pimp
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Round Rock, TX
    My opening morning was horrid. 0 birds, should've had 2. My son saw 1. Very muddy fields. Neighboring hunters didn't shoot as much in past years but shot way more than me. North of Hutto.

Will give it another go this evening.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I was fortunate to get on a property halfway between Lockart and Luling. We had a few birds flying and holy cow - we missed all of them. I'm a halfway decent shotgun shooter, and my buddy used to shoot competition. I think they're better than last year after the big freeze. Blacks BBQ for lunch made up for it though - damn, that stuff is good.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

OK, here is 9/2/22 UPDATE for all.

Drove LA to ElCampo on Tues, few birds. ElCampo to Austin/Pflugerville Weds, few birds. Toured fields in 4WD with manaqer for hours Thursday, hunted a bit; one shot, missed. Top guy i spoke with at 2 large leases near Pflugerville had four, 2WW’s & 2 mourning doves.

First rain last night ~ 25”, now all damp. Mud not too bad.

I saw lots of doves yeaterday, both kinds, but not enough guns to keep them moving.

A nearby sunflower field sounded better, lots of shots, but I couldn’t see.

Grandson is now here from Dallas, will hunt this PM, twice tomorrow, Sun AM, if not rained-out.

Don’t expect much. May or may not report again.

May GOD save our USA and Bless TEXAS !

If I gotta die, I want to be back here. In TEXAS !

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    F
    ElCampo - only place I had any luck with dove. Seems like whenever they fly, they go into the sun. But those darn cattle egrets are a pain. Everywhere but protected.
    I talked to a ranger in Estes Park for 10 min before I realized he just wanted to see my fishing lic. Never even seen a Texas (or any) G.W. other than TV.
    >

Funny, b/c I’m at ElCampo very frequently, to the point that many business people think I live there, but have never had dove luck around there, despite a lot of tries.

Years back, geese & cranes, even a few ducks. . . . . .

I like Pierce Ranch @ Pierce TX, b/t Wharton & ElCampo, for hogs & deer; but hunting was shut-down a couple years back, guide service fired, etc.

Man, I just want to get the Hell back to live here.

They caught the murdering teen carjack gang terrorizing New Orleans. A pre-trial hearing was held last week. Four “teens” had carjacked 3 White ladies, brutally murdered, dismembered a 72 yo grandmother.

Mayor LaToya showed at court, made a grammatically inept but passionate plea to Judge to “go easy” on the thugs; with the victims’ survivors sitting right there !

Do NOT go to New Orleans, don’t do any business there, Please !

With mass shootings of 51, 39, & 21 innocents; one cannot protect themselves with guns any longer.

Last week a lady on street was burned w/ cigarette, jerked away, and had her purse & phone dragged off her arm & stolen. Cps “took report”, but wpu;dn’t even loook at the surveillance videos.

SAD & SICK !

leVieux

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Megargel Texas. Limit and done, shower and laid back. Game wardens showed up. Two with a very nice airconditioned UTV in tow. Checked my license, checked the gun, counted birds. I was at 15 and sitten on the tail gate with the gun unloaded and in its case, enjoying an adult beverage. The rest of the guys in the field. They checked everyone else still in the field. No joy, all legal. They were officious and simi pleasant. I see it was an ugly day in Sachse.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The few Federal Wardens are NOT nice, only seeking to ticket or arrrest us all.

My earlier comments were in favor of our TX P&W Guys, who are much better than earlier.

Just make sure you don’t violate basics, and don’t shoot any non-game birds.

leVieux

Top Bottom