• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Two winters with killing freezes.
    An extended drought this summer.

I wouldn’t look for a great harvest.

I did see a few birds at the farm last week.
    Target Sports

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    When did this change?
    I have been officially “disabled” for years, and carry State ID; but have never used it. I can walk a bit & shoot almost “fine”, so won’t use an “excuse”. Besides, I quit shoting deer, even when ostensibly “deer hunting”, decades back. I go for the nature, sport, and to teach our Young. Feral hogs are another matter, we love them to eat. So they get shot.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I had a friend who had the ranch that Bush use to go quail hunting on. They always used a modified pickup with hunting seats for him. Of course they also seeded the roads for him too.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I was told you needed both feet planted on the ground and the vehicle could not be used as a rest.
    In my experiences, the days of the hostile, anti-hunter, TPW Game Officer are long over. Today, those Officers are now our Friends, advisors, & partners in REAL “conservation”.

I, and many, quit breaking laws when the increased pressures & declining game stocks became evident. Before, in earlier days, some of the limits & restrictions seemed absurd.

Luckily about the same time, TPW “saw the light”, that voluntary cooperation beat heavy-handed “enforcement”, & we got the modern Game Officer, our “partners”. Much better this way.

leVieux

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not much flying where I’m at north of Waco. Saw a few hanging around about a month back.

I remember the reports after the bad freeze claiming they were bouncing back and everything was great. Whatever it takes to sell those permits I guess. Wasn’t shit flying then either.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Two winters with killing freezes.
    An extended drought this summer.

I wouldn’t look for a great harvest.

I did see a few birds at the farm last week.
    @Vaquero is correct.
    Living in AZ my whole life with lots of farms, which mean abundant food around, water was the main indicator of good dove and quail seasons. Good winter and monson rains mean good dove and quail.

Beyond the obvious there is better cover and other environmental bonuses of proper rainfall.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    In my experiences, the days of the hostile, anti-hunter, TPW Game Officer are long over. Today, those Officers are now our Friends, advisors, & partners in REAL “conservation”.

I, and many, quit breaking laws when the increased pressures & declining game stocks became evident. Before, in earlier days, some of the limits & restrictions seemed absurd.

Luckily about the same time, TPW “saw the light”, that voluntary cooperation beat heavy-handed “enforcement”, & we got the modern Game Officer, our “partners”. Much better this way.

leVieux
    I know Lone Star Law is a reality show. However, if it is anywhere close to the truth, I don’t see a GW as a friend. I see a lot of wasted tax payer money.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I know Lone Star Law is a reality show. However, if it is anywhere close to the truth, I don’t see a GW as a friend. I see a lot of wasted tax payer money.
    >
    I have hunted Texas for some 60 years, same for LA. Less frequently FL, MS, CO, & NM.

I have seen a clear and emphatic improvement in both TPW and DPS officers attitudes towards Citizens during that time. Sometimes around 1990, there was abrupt noticeable improvement of field Officers’ and DPS Patrol Cops attitudes towards regular Citizens.

No one ever explained, the TPW nor DPS.

Also, about the same time, we saw marked increase of others outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. A couple really “bad” hunting seasons made us “sportsmen” realize that the once silly seasons and limits had become serious issues, So, we quit trying to violate them. Almost eveone I went with did this about same time. We quit breaking laws, not from enforcement pressures, but b/c we could SEE that total activity threatened game populations, fish to lesser degree. We wanted to preserve hunting and fishing for future folks. Those two forces merged. I was DU “sponsor” ~ 33 years, and City Leader a couple. GCCCA & CCA member. I no longer have any Friends in DPS, but do have several who are TPW Officers, active & retired. Yes, I do consult them re game, details, regs, observations, etc. and RELY on their advice. Of course, today, many or most are actual graduate Game Biologists, so much the better. And, the improvement in TPW has been noticeably greater than in neighboring states. Being ancient, all of my current activities are in SW LA or South & Central Texas.

Believe me, this way is better for everyone !

The old ways may be gone, good riddance, but not forgotten.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

Now looks that first weekend of. Central Texas doves will be a total rain-out. . . . . Oh well that’s hunting. . . . .

Once in the 1970’s, we had an opening day hurricane in the RGV. . . .

We’re already @ ElCampo, headed to Austin manana en la manana !

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    >
    I have hunted Texas for some 60 years, same for LA. Less frequently FL, MS, CO, & NM.

I have seen a clear and emphatic improvement in both TPW and DPS officers attitudes towards Citizens during that time. Sometimes around 1990, there was abrupt noticeable improvement of field Officers’ and DPS Patrol Cops attitudes towards regular Citizens.

No one ever explained, the TPW nor DPS.

Also, about the same time, we saw marked increase of others outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. A couple really “bad” hunting seasons made us “sportsmen” realize that the once silly seasons and limits had become serious issues, So, we quit trying to violate them. Almost eveone I went with did this about same time. We quit breaking laws, not from enforcement pressures, but b/c we could SEE that total activity threatened game populations, fish to lesser degree. We wanted to preserve hunting and fishing for future folks. Those two forces merged. I was DU “sponsor” ~ 33 years, and City Leader a couple. GCCCA & CCA member. I no longer have any Friends in DPS, but do have several who are TPW Officers, active & retired. Yes, I do consult them re game, details, regs, observations, etc. and RELY on their advice. Of course, today, many or most are actual graduate Game Biologists, so much the better. And, the improvement in TPW has been noticeably greater than in neighboring states. Being ancient, all of my current activities are in SW LA or South & Central Texas.

Believe me, this way is better for everyone !

The old ways may be gone, good riddance, but not forgotten.

leVieux
    Most LE officers usually don't bother people that are obeying the laws. Funny how that works out that when you're being lawful and law abiding they tend to leave you alone.

In almost forty years of hunting, I have never once had a bad encounter with a game warden, Dating all the way back to the mid 1970's.Hmmm sure makes me curious at all these bad attitudes!

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Most LE officers usually don't bother people that are obeying the laws. Funny how that works out that when you're being lawful and law abiding they tend to leave you alone.

In almost forty years of hunting, I have never once had a bad encounter with a game warden, Dating all the way back to the mid 1970's.Hmmm sure makes me curious at all these bad attitudes!
    I too have hunted doves and other things for over 40 years and never had a problem with LE or GW. During that 40 years I have only encountered a visit by a GW 2 times. Both checked my license and my shotgun for a plug that allowed only 3 shells, and how many birds I had. They both were very professional and one drank a Diet Coke with me. :)

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    ElCampo - only place I had any luck with dove. Seems like whenever they fly, they go into the sun. But those darn cattle egrets are a pain. Everywhere but protected.
    I talked to a ranger in Estes Park for 10 min before I realized he just wanted to see my fishing lic. Never even seen a Texas (or any) G.W. other than TV.

Top Bottom