• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    It isn't about Beck rather his ideas and the direction our country is taking, hopefully it will help others stand up and be aware. In any event it will be interesting to see news coverage and how they spin it.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have a hard time imagining a Glenn Beck event without politics or signs. I didn't get to see any of it.
    I was a very fine event. Glenn didnt discuss politics. The entire event was focused on Freedom and Religion. He never debated anything nor did he mention economics.
    His message was simple. He want people to listen to God and reach deeper to find the best answer. He encouraged everyone to vote with good faith.
    It watched the whole event, it was amazing. Washington never had so many people in it...............

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    The founding fathers must have really screwed things up then.

Actually, our founding fathers did consider this.

In writing the first amendment, they intended both the prevention of creating a "national religion" but also the seperation of church in state. Thus preventing any particular church (religion) from taking control of our government and creating their own laws.

Basically, preventing our country from being much like some european countries that were covertly being run more by the pope than the actual heirchy.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Actually, our founding fathers did consider this.

In writing the first amendment, they intended both the prevention of creating a "national religion" but also the separation of church in state. Thus preventing any particular church (religion) from taking control of our government and creating their own laws.

Basically, preventing our country from being much like some european countries that were covertly being run more by the pope than the actual heirchy.

The "separation of church and state" was not meant to keep God out of the government but the government out of God.

"... no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinion in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish enlarge, or affect their civil capacities." J. F. Maclear, Church and state in the modern age: a documentary history (1995) p 65

Although religion cannot and should not support a single party or man\women running for office I have no problem with faith based values influencing the choice of the people at the ballot box.

Religion is common theme in the founding fathers lives. Faith and religion at these rallies shouldn't be discouraged as it was not the intent of the founding fathers.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    James Madison said:
    "The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

John Adams said:
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

Thomas Jefferson said:
    "Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the Common Law."

Benjamn Franklin said:
    "In the affairs of the world, men are saved, not by faith, but by the lack of it."

Thomas Paine said:
    "Take away from Genesis the belief that Moses was the author, on which only the strange belief that it is the word of God has stood, and there remains nothing of Genesis but an anonymous book of stories, fables, and traditionary or invented absurdities, or of downright lies."

The separation of Church and State is designed to protect the right to religious freedom without the Government butting in on it. To think that the founding fathers felt that our system of government were somehow based on faith is absurd. Some were Deists, many were atheists.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

The separation of Church and State is designed to protect the right to religious freedom without the Government butting in on it. To think that the founding fathers felt that our system of government were somehow based on faith is absurd. Some were Deists, many were atheists.
    Twenty times, in the course of my late reading, have I been on the point of breaking out, 'this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!!!!' But in this exclamation, I should have been as fanatical as Bryant or Cleverly. Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in public company—I mean hell. -John Adams

Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin were not religious.

I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare their unsatisfactoriness by becoming fervent advocates in the cause of Christ; and I wish you may give in your evidence in this way. - James Madison Letter of Madison to William Bradford (September 25, 1773)

Madison was a member of the committee that authored the 1776 Virginia Bill of Rights and approved of its clause declaring that:
    It is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity toward each other.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. James Madison Federalist No. 51

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    So if you agree with me in the separation of church and state, why would you sarcastically state that the founding fathers "must have screwed up"?

James Madison said:
    The experience of the United States is a happy disproof of the error so long rooted in the unenlightened minds of well-meaning Christians, as well as in the corrupt hearts of persecuting usurpers, that without a legal incorporation of religious and civil polity, neither could be supported. A mutual independence is found most friendly to practical Religion, to social harmony, and to political prosperity.

Key words. Mutual independence.

Hm.

Sounds to me like the founding fathers had no intention of there being faith at Mr. Beck's rally.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Jefferson was at least somewhat religious, Franklin has always been pretty enigmatic in so many areas of his life... Jefferson was definitely not a fan of organized religion, or of the dogma that it ran on. He even went so far as to create his own heavily edited version of the Bible, removing the supernatural aspects and some of what he thought of as intentional misinterpretations that were added to it. It was more about Jesus' life and became a philosophy work. I'd love to get my hands on a copy someday and give it a read...

Top Bottom