• ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    In all seriousness, I live out in farm land and the yotes are getting bad out here. I have a 6’chain link fence around my inner yard where the dogs stay. The dogs have been marking and deficating along the inner perimeter of the fence. The yotes on the outside perimeter
    Do a kid a favor and kill off the coyotes. They had poisoned them when I was 10 and got my first .22. You have no idea what it's like being ten and getting to spotlight rabbits with my uncle.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I used to love spending summers on the farm listening to the coyotes howl at night. There is a reason the Shawnee called them song dogs. I miss that even though there are some that live on UTD property. I just don't hear them very often.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Check this shit out.
    When we go to the farm, Mocha has an area of her own choosing for dropping a deuce. (For the newbies, Mocha is a 65+ lb Catahoula)
    Wether we spend the night or just return the next day, that processed, packaged, vet recommended, stinking pile is gone. And there's always a fresh grey hairy turd laying in close proximity.
    I surmise that domestic dog shit does indeed attract coyotes and probably foxes. They eat the dog turd and leave a thank you note.
    Why else would Mocha keep going back to the same spot?

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm curious though, is it the poop, or is it her dog smell that brings it in.
    The poop might just be a bonus.
    Good question. I do know that nothing disturbs the coyote turd. Mocha has a few regular spots that she sniffs around every trip there. I think it's more of a "i found a snack here once" thing. Much like deer or turkey at a game feeder. You score a few times, it becomes a regular stop.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Opinions to the OP, from persons which never posted at all in the thread.
    OK, fine. I’ll jump in. When I was a kid we lived way out in the sticks. It was 20 miles to the nearest paved road. We could hear coyotes howling every night, but they would never approach the house because we always had a dog or 3 around the house. As a general rule, one big dog can keep a whole pack of coyotes from approaching the house.

However, there are exceptions to every rule. On Padre Island, there are coyotes living in the sand dunes. Humans don’t see them often, but lots of dogs have disappeared out there when one coyote will show his self to a dog and then take off running. When the dog gives chase and gets out in the dunes, it’s attacked by dozens of them, and most don’t survive.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I have heard a few old timers talking about how a pack of coyotes will use a female coyote to lure male dogs out so they can kill them.

Any truth to this?
    I’ve had dogs chase off after coyotes in the desert, the bosque ( by the river) and out in alfalfa fields. The dogs have always come back.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    In all seriousness, I live out in farm land and the yotes are getting bad out here. I have a 6’chain link fence around my inner yard where the dogs stay. The dogs have been marking and deficating along the inner perimeter of the fence. The yotes on the outside perimeter
    deficate? thats a fancy word for shit? shit, just say shit!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I had an English Bull Terrier that duked it out with two coyotes. Fired nine rounds over the top of the fray using this H&R Model 99 Sportsman. It broke up the fight nicely. Very reliable but with clunky stock sites. I used it to shoot at another coyote that was about 200 yards away. Sorta missed that one.

IMG_3625.JPG

Top Bottom