Capitol Armory ad

Does this gun store employee know what he's talking about?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I went to one of my local gun stores today to get a part for my glock. When the employee asked me how I lost the pin I was there to get I told him that I had done the .25 cent trigger job and dropped the pin and never was able to find it. He said I sould not have done that because it has been known to cause glocks to become full auto. I asked him how and he said when you remove materials by polishing the trigger bar it will do it. I tlod him I did not remove any materials I just polished it with a rag. He laughed at me and said that polishing was removing materials. The way I look at it is that it will not remove any more material than a feww thousand rounds would. Can any one else give me any more info on this. Is this guy full of poop or is he right?

Thanks
    Justin
    DK Firearms

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    unless you have hands of fury polishing with a rag will not take it down as fast as a dremel or other tool enough to cause trigger issues.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Technically, polishing does remove metal. Will it go full auto? Highly unlikely. Just keep the old connector handy if you ever have an issue, but again, it isn't likely.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    So technically every time you pull the trigger and metal rubs metal you are removing metal? I'm not trying to be an ass just a question. Thanks for all the replies.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yes, either removing it or moving it. It is called wear, and it may have no ill effects for years and years, but given enough time it will wear one of the parts out and cause problems.

That is why your trigger pull got better by polishing it. You smoothed out the rough surfaces and made them glide better. You either moved or removed metal from the high spots of the surfaces so they slid on each other easier.

RickP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    far East Plano
    You might want to ping John Payne (he posts on this site) of Suarez Int'l about it as he brought up this exact issue in our training class. He says it can and does happen. Apparently, the hardening process goes only a few molecules deep on the parts. Once that is removed, wear accelerates.

Top Bottom