• Total voters

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    One of the fellows that hunted with us at the deer lease used a Savage break-open single shot .30-30. Only one I’ve ever seen.
    I believe it was a Model 219 but that was a long time ago so I may be misremembering.
    He shot like a pro with it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I bought one for $100 at a gun show years ago. Looked like crap - obviously had been somebody's truck rifle that had been traded in and the dealer hadn't had time to clean it. Paint, dirt, even had spiders in the barrel. Cleaned it up and it turned out it had barely been used - the bore is like new. My original plan to use it as a wall decoration changed and I had a nice plinking rifle. I thought I'd never use it for hunting, but then I got an ATV and discovered it works great as a hog-killer. Small, lightweight, easy to grab and shoot, fast repeating, and deadly within the range of open sights.

In my mind, every real gun enthusiast should have at least one revolver, one lever action, one bolt action, and one semiauto. Of course, the more guns you have, the better.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Fwiw, my "saddle carbine, that lives under my leg" when I'm in the saddle is a "well-worn" Remington Model 760 in .35 REM, loaded with 200 grain JSP. = The .30-30 stalking rifle stays at home, as I'm afraid that something untoward might happen to it.

yours, satx

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I have one 1950 something marlin. It has the J&P stamped on the barrel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Several. Including Winchester 94's, a Marlin 336, a Savage bolt action, and a Handi-Rifle.
    I am in deep East Texas and my longest shot is 75 yards. The 30-30 is great on deer and hogs, has mild recoil, is easy to reload, is readily available anywhere ammo is sold, and reasonably priced.
    What's NOT to like?

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I am under 40 and own a Marlin 336. (sounds like an AA meeting)

Bought it a few years ago from a pawn shop. IMO the caliber really is nothing special. My Marlin is also not the best rifle to shoot out of the bunch and honestly, I have taken it out only 2 or 3 times. It is nice to plink with using light cast loads and the cartridge is fairly easy to reload with minimal trimming.

I have never envisioned using it on to hunt since I prefer my Remington 783 in .270 caliber for anything here in Texas. It is a borderline gimmick rifle in my stack of other gimmick rifles.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It is a borderline gimmick rifle in my stack of other gimmick rifles.
    What's that you said?
    10236935-large.jpg

Well, pilgrim?
    wayne-s-rifle.jpg

Attachments

• 10236935-large.jpg
      10236935-large.jpg
      17.5 KB · Views: 419
    • wayne-s-rifle.jpg
      wayne-s-rifle.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 406

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have one of the Glenfield (JC Penny) 30-30 JM barrel. These are pure Marlin with beech wood instead of walnut stocks. Still a great buy and who does not like a fine lever action? May be better than new Remington 336. Very smooth.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    There was a recent article in one of the gun rags I receive that focused on the lever action rifle as a defensive weapon. Oddly enough, there are courses providing training in it's use, as such. In certain situations, perhaps most, it is considered as a good choice for defense. I know I would not feel I'll equipped with one if the boogie man was lurking on my property.
    My dad always said, keep a shotgun loaded with buckshot by the door. That way you can keep the bastages out of your yard til you can get to your rifle!
    And the only rifles dad owned were in .22, 30-30, and 30-06.
    And the single shot Stevens 16 gauge stood, loaded with #1 Buck, by the backdoor!

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I'm 38. I've shot several 30-30 lever action rifles. It's a fun gun to shoot, but there are reasons I do not own a 30-30 or any lever action rifle.

Primarily it is because they are expensive to own and shoot. The other reason is if I was to hunt there are far better choices today for hunting deer, hogs, or varmits. In 1950 it was a fine rifle and a fine caliber. 70 years later, in 2020, there are just so many better options for rifles and calibers.

It's like a 45LC six shooter. It's a cool gun but I'd never have a practical reason to own one.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Own a couple .30-30s now and many before them. Also have a Henry in.357, there's a12ga by the back door and a 20ga by the front door.

Top Bottom