Hurley's Gold

Do You Feel Ok Accepting a Money Order as Payment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have seen several fake USPS Money Orders recently. I dont take MO for anything.

Go tell your Postal Inspector you got a $40 fake USPS MO and let me know how that works for you. If you think they give a crap about those tiny amounts you are kidding yourself. Do to time and personnel restraints they go after big fish.

If the USPS cashes it, then it's a done deal. right? If they tell you it is counterfeit then that's on the sender. As long as you don't ship the product prior. Personally I can't see a problem with that unless you are a substantial ways away from the PO.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I routinely take (and send) USPS MO's....in some pretty significant amounts. Their max is $1k, and cashing one for higher amounts can sometimes be a PITA, because it requires you to find one with that amount of $$$ on hand. But - once cashed, you're done and it's without recourse - so yeah, IMO it's the only way to go.

Now.....for $40, I'd take a personal check even and hold for it to clear. If it's from someone on the board, I wouldn't even wait for it to clear, and might just ship on their word. As others have noted, this is a small community, and it's kinda hard to hide. If it's worth it to burn a rep over $40, then God go with 'em...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    If the USPS cashes it, then it's a done deal. right? If they tell you it is counterfeit then that's on the sender. As long as you don't ship the product prior. Personally I can't see a problem with that unless you are a substantial ways away from the PO.

Done deal. Also can be verified by the serial # and amount over the phone 24/7. The system will even walk you through checking for the security features over the phone if that's not enough.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    If you get a fake USPS Money Order and try to cash it, you don't get any cash. If you don't get any cash, you don't ship the item. It's pretty simple. If you ship the item before getting the cash, it's your own damn fault.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I will add that when I use PayPal, I will immediately cash out any balance I have. I don't even wait the 3-5 days for it to transfer into the linked checking account; I just withdraw it at an ATM. That's too much time for PayPal to steal my money. And the ONLY account linked to my PayPal is a checking account whose sole purpose is to finance my PayPal transactions. I only transfer money to that checking account when I need to send money with PayPal.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Just askin a question here...

Why all the enmity towards PayPal? Their gun policy, or what? They've actually helped keep me from getting ripped off a couple of times is why I ask.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

Why all the enmity towards PayPal? Their gun policy, or what? They've actually helped keep me from getting ripped off a couple of times is why I ask.

Personal experience...good friend had a disputed transaction w/a PP payer. He prevailed, but it took 6 months. In the meantime, they locked his account, and in the process changed his access passwords to require him to call. He tried to get through several weeks w/o success (lines busy, person he needed to speak with not in, etc)......then he died.

His wife spent 2+ years trying to get the funds w/o success. Less than $3,000, but it was *real* money to her as a widow. She ended up dying without having succeeded in getting the funds back. A forum her husband had been on brought it up, their kids confirmed they were having NO luck getting it resolved, and a fellow forum member who also happened to be a VERY good attorney got involved and finally got the money due them. Thing is, had he billed them for his time and expenses, they'd have owed him money.....

I use PayPal when I MUST - only. Even then, I try every other option available first.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

They are ANTIGUN in every damn aspect. Plus they jack around with your funds when someone rips you off. You have to look for hours to find a number for a live person to ask what the hell payass is doing.

They took $221 out the account I had, after a buyer got what I mailed him. So they helped the SOB rip me off. Their dispute process is a joke.

They are in control of your money before it reaches your hand. And they will do whatever they see fit with it before it does.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Personal experience...good friend had a disputed transaction w/a PP payer. He prevailed, but it took 6 months. In the meantime, they locked his account, and in the process changed his access passwords to require him to call. He tried to get through several weeks w/o success (lines busy, person he needed to speak with not in, etc)......then he died.

His wife spent 2+ years trying to get the funds w/o success. Less than $3,000, but it was *real* money to her as a widow. She ended up dying without having succeeded in getting the funds back. A forum her husband had been on brought it up, their kids confirmed they were having NO luck getting it resolved, and a fellow forum member who also happened to be a VERY good attorney got involved and finally got the money due them. Thing is, had he billed them for his time and expenses, they'd have owed him money.....

I use PayPal when I MUST - only. Even then, I try every other option available first.

Man, it sure is nice to read when you post like this instead of with your hillbilly accent! *duck*

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I only deal with USPS money orders when buying or selling through the mail on forum sites like this. The reason is how secure and trackable they are as has been said numerous times throughout this thread. If someone won't take my mo then they don't want my business.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Fair enough. By the way, those are both horrible stories. If I'd have had anything resembling those or known someone that had I wouldn't use it either.

They are ANTIGUN in every damn aspect. Plus they jack around with your funds when someone rips you off. You have to look for hours to find a number for a live person to ask what the hell payass is doing.

They took $221 out the account I had, after a buyer got what I mailed him. So they helped the SOB rip me off. Their dispute process is a joke.

They are in control of your money before it reaches your hand. And they will do whatever they see fit with it before it does.

Again, if I had ever had this type experience I would probably feel the same. The not doing business with them over being antigun, is a topic for another day.

Thanks for the insight guys.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I've not used it yet, but some banks are allowing you to xfer funds person to person with as little as an email address.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've not used it yet, but some banks are allowing you to xfer funds person to person with as little as an email address.

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

That just sounds "iffy". Then again I'm still leery of on line banking.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Alexrex covered it: Take the USPS money order to the PO, cash it, and only then ship the item to the buyer. If the MO is fake, give it to the PO and you're done with the deal. They can follow up on it or not, not your worry.

However, NEVER accept a bank money order. They are one of the easiest things to fake around, and there ARE a lot of fakes.

I also pay bills online, and I've never had a problem either. And yes, some banks are starting to allow you to transfer money via ACH transfer to another account at another bank. This is the way of the future, fast and easy, and absolute. Get used to it, it's here. I write probably 5-6 checks a year and I don;t use a debit card. Don't trust them. ;)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom