Guns International

Do You Feel Ok Accepting a Money Order as Payment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I'm selling something via the web. Buyer is offering payment via USPS Money Order. It's only $40, so I'm not losing my shirt either way, but never done it before. I'm used to PayPal. Do y'all feel comfortable accepting money orders as payment? I guess my current plan is to wait 'til the MO arrives and cash it before mailing the package.
    Venture Surplus ad

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    No, many banks hold cashier's checks and money orders until they clear due to the number of counterfeits out there. Cash is king, but Payal is a prince.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm selling something via the web. Buyer is offering payment via USPS Money Order. It's only $40, so I'm not losing my shirt either way, but never done it before. I'm used to PayPal. Do y'all feel comfortable accepting money orders as payment? I guess my current plan is to wait 'til the MO arrives and cash it before mailing the package.

I vote USPS MO....

Words of wise:

Do yourself a big favor and get un-use to paypal. Without a whole thread hijack, just know their not gun friendly.

Cashing the MO before you mail the item is SOP with dealing with them. The people that use them know this is how business is conducted with them.

Also know that if youre buying from someone on here. And you can prove that person cheated you. It will be on every gun site from AR15 to Ruger. His name will be mud. He'll lose for $40, a great deal of friends and a market place not found at the local gun shop. Being a troll is one thing. But ripping somebody off on a forum is like spitting in church. Its a small world.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I vote USPS MO....

Words of wise:

Do yourself a big favor and get un-use to paypal. Without a whole thread hijack, just know their not gun friendly.

Cashing the MO before you mail the item is SOP with dealing with them. The people that use them know this is how business is conducted with them.

Also know that if youre buying from someone on here. And you can prove that person cheated you. It will be on every gun site from AR15 to Ruger. His name will be mud. He'll lose for $40, a great deal of friends and a market place not found at the local gun shop. Being a troll is one thing. But ripping somebody off on a forum is like spitting in church. Its a small world.

...until they make a new username. But thanks, though. Those are wise words.

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    If you don't buy on ebay, don't use paypal. The odds are stacked against you. All the rules are made to allow paypal to keep the money until THEY decide what to do.
    Cash your USPS MO at the post office, that way you can file the complaint while there. Saying that in the days before paypal I took many MO's and never had a problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    ...until they make a new username. But thanks, though. Those are wise words.

He can change his user name all he wants.

Unless he changes his address you mailed the money order too. Someone will know of him. It's a really small world.

Nothing is absolute in finding the guy if he rips you off. Its still up to people being honest. For $40, the person would have to be stupid to rip you off. Now if you were buying a rifle with a high price. Thats why people FTF on alot of stuff.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    USPS MO is the best payment out there IMO. You can cash it at the post office if it's under a certain amount.

I have always done this as well and has always worked out for me. I will recommend that the buyer send it Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation, if it's for $100 or more I will usually tell them to take the cost of it off the price just to have a way to track it. More piece of mind for myself to be honest.

#1gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Dallas
    Paypal is horrible. They have made people loose businesses, family, significant other, they ruin lives. I have been affected buy them. Ebay owns paypal, its so wrong. Google paypal stuff and read the stories, better yet, go to youtube and listen to the people on there. There are about 1,000 on there.

MOney order prefered USPS. I have used ebay for about 8 years and no longer support them however I never has a issue with money order after taking about 100 or so.

Not enought time to talk about how bad ebay is. Its convienent yes and everyone has been brainwashed to think they "have" to use them.

Sorry for threadjacking too. Most ppl that dont agree with me have never had a issue, until...

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Well I am not brainwashed. They have some of my money and are not releasing it after claiming to decide in my favor on a dispute. So until I get that refund from 7 years ago (yes I know I have given up hope on ever getting it back) I will refuse to use them. Plain and simple. Give me the refund and I will stop saying this. Otherwise I will say what has happened and continue to send requests for that refund.

Radioman

#1gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Dallas
    Well I am not brainwashed. They have some of my money and are not releasing it after claiming to decide in my favor on a dispute. So until I get that refund from 7 years ago (yes I know I have given up hope on ever getting it back) I will refuse to use them. Plain and simple. Give me the refund and I will stop saying this. Otherwise I will say what has happened and continue to send requests for that refund.

Radioman

This....SUcks man. Happens to so many people for no reason. They have even stated they do it as a control method for whatever reasons. Like at the airport getting patted down. You may or may not get chosen, just this is dealing with your money and them keeping it for 6 months. 20 bucks, not a big deal, 2,000, big deal. They dont care and dont email back either. Anti Gun rights company, most cust svs is in india or whereever overseas.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have seen several fake USPS Money Orders recently. I dont take MO for anything.

Go tell your Postal Inspector you got a $40 fake USPS MO and let me know how that works for you. If you think they give a crap about those tiny amounts you are kidding yourself. Do to time and personnel restraints they go after big fish.

If it makes you feel better thinking that "its a Federal deal" if you get a bogus USPS money order, thats great, but in reality you arent much safer than any other method.

I dont care for Paypal's politics but they are extremely easy to use and I get my money fast. Thousands of transactions and no bad experiences. Actually Paypal has sided with me in complaints.

I am not saying dont use USPS MOs, just saying its about as risky as anything else.

Top Bottom