• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I happen to remember a guy that I used to work with does A/C work, I'll try to get his number tomorrow.

Thanks much for all the info.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Screw that, real men don't need somebody else to work in their cars.

atuhu9ub.jpg

Now go buy some 134A, a gauge set, and some duct tape.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've got at least 1/2 a case of tape so I'm good there.

Compressors cost more than my ego can afford, I'll ask for help smartass.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's all good n all that but I have an old r12 system. Y'all got it made with your r13a

Convert it. Just gotta drain the oil out of the system and replace it with the right stuff, change the orifice tube and refill to 2/3 capacity with R134.

What I can't wait for is the new 1234 bullshit. Hey, EPA had to do SOMETHING. Dow's patents were expiring.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Convert it. Just gotta drain the oil out of the system and replace it with the right stuff, change the orifice tube and refill to 2/3 capacity with R134.

What I can't wait for is the new 1234 bullshit. Hey, EPA had to do SOMETHING. Dow's patents were expiring.

We have it for the 2013/2014 models, the machine was over 10k and the price per pound is crazy. 75.00 a pound is the going rate IIRC. Just like the odd purple coolant now.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Young gun put it well and I concur with Msage too. Without knowing the highside pressure, you're playin' with fire. It seems like a nice temp fix but consider this...Freon does not go bad, it either leaks out or you have a broken/defective component. You should never add Freon to an empty system without replacing the dryer/accumulator, checking or replacing the orifice tube or expansion block and performing a deep vacuum to remove all moisture first. As far as conversions, they are best done on a system that incorporates electric fans and a high pressure cut-off switch. Mechanical fans pull much less air at idle and older r12 systems typically only use a low pressure cycling switch and no hi pressure cutoff. Also certain older r12 hoses will allow R134a to "sweat" right through them basically wasting more time and money. It is a real crap shoot trying to convert without knowing if the hoses and system will handle it. Anyone in cedar park with an auto a/c problem can pm me for help or advice. I am IMACA certified and have all my own equipment.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, last I heard, they were still setting up production plants for 1234. They only had one place to produce it and it was a test line that could only produce small quantities.

I'll be retrofitting these bitches to R134 (illegally) because the gases are 100% compatible in either system.

Is this new stuff what Mercedes tested and found out it was flammable?

SAE says it's "mildly flammable". Not something I really want to use...

For $20 and 30min of your time you can be certified to buy R12: EPA 609 Open Book Certification

It's expensive, tho... Just do what Itchin says; evacuate the R12 out and charge with propane.

**** no. Get a hole in your system and you run the risk of barbecuing yourself.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I agree. I wasn't recommending. Lol. Personally I will not mess with them anymore myself. Much easier to take to someone who knows what they're doing and has the proper tools.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Flush won't cut it a lot of times after a compressor fails. There are a lot of systems where the condenser has to be replaced because you simply can't get the shit out.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    It's been several hours (and a lot of work) since I watched the Goss video but I don't think he was suggesting a flush after a compressor failure.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    It's been several hours (and a lot of work) since I watched the Goss video but I don't think he was suggesting a flush after a compressor failure.

Might want to rewatch it. That's exactly what he suggested, and Sage is correct. A compressor failure can definitely lead to condenser replacement.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grendor
    Top Bottom