• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Father-in-law has dementia and lives alone, still drives. Wife's brothers are just going to let it go until it's an issue...I think it's time to have him move in with us, but I don't get to decide this one. It's frustrating, to say the least. He's always been a class act and I would like to help the guy. Sometimes he is perfectly fine; other days he will repeat same story over and over. He gets in car, forgets where he is headed. Shitty situation.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Father-in-law has dementia and lives alone, still drives. Wife's brothers are just going to let it go until it's an issue...I think it's time to have him move in with us, but I don't get to decide this one. It's frustrating, to say the least. He's always been a class act and I would like to help the guy. Sometimes he is perfectly fine; other days he will repeat same story over and over. He gets in car, forgets where he is headed. Shitty situation.

There's nothing you'll do that's harder than dealing with a family member with dementia. It's beyond shitty. Your wife will need all of your support, and you'll be dealing with the FIL being less and less the man you knew as every day goes by.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I told my family if I get Cancer, Dementia, Alziemers or the like I'll help myself out of the situation.
    After losing several family members from such difficult times.

Everyone should pass as humanely as possible without suffering.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

”Dementia” is the syndrome of decreasing mental faculties and impaired memory.

There are several common causes of dementia; it is not one condition.

Some of the causes can be reversible iif diagnosed & treated in time, such as “NPH” or non-obstructive hydrocephalus, intoxications, hypoxia, etc.

The most common are the “Alzheimer’s”, multi-infarct dementia, severe brain atrophy, etc. which are not reversible. To make a definitive diagnosis of “Alzheimer’s” requires a brain biopsy, but very few undergo a brain biopsy. So, when we hear “Alzheimer’s” it is almost always a “presumptive diagnosis”.

Certain types of encephalopathy are associated with very heavy long term alcohol intake +/or the accompanying nutritional or vitamin deficiencies. Those may be treatable.

Everyone should take a multivitamin 2 or 3 times/week. The old saying is “Don’t drink more than a fifth of whiskey every day.”

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I warn that home care of one with increasing dementia is a very, very difficult situation.

Please consider an institution. The “assisted care” facilities are nicer & less restrictive.

Good Luck !

<>

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dementia patients know something's wrong. They don't grasp how bad, but they know things aren't as they should be with what they remember and think they know.
    My uncle definitely knew something was wrong and he was damn good at hiding it. He would just act like he recognized you whether he actually did or not, and he was always very smart so he could BS his way through a lot of conversation. I was one of the first people to pick up on it. He even had my aunt fooled for awhile.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    My uncle definitely knew something was wrong and he was damn good at hiding it. He would just act like he recognized you whether he actually did or not, and he was always very smart so he could BS his way through a lot of conversation. I was one of the first people to pick up on it. He even had my aunt fooled for awhile.
    Bingo. He can fool the Dr sometimes. He's a hell of an actor, need be. He knows he is up against the wall, clinging to his independence.

Thanks for the helpful replies- all.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Bingo. He can fool the Dr sometimes. He's a hell of an actor, need be. He knows he is up against the wall, clinging to his independence.

IKNOW THAT WHEN MY FATHER HAD TO MAKE MY GRANDMOTHER STOP DRIVING SHE HATED HAVING TO DEPEND ON OTHERS TO GET TO PLACES SHE WANTED GO! BUT SHE HAD THREE BAD ACCIDENTS IN SIX MONTHS AND PUT ONE GUY IN THE HOSITAL SHE WAS A DANGER TO HERSELF AND OTHERS IT WAS SAD BUT IT HAD TO BE DONE!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

This, exactly. My dad was able to fool his doctors almost up to the end. It required my sister and me discussing his mental condition directly with them to get them to realize it was a sham. After he passed away we found a carefully hidden wallet under a drawer in his dresser...full of hundreds of dollars...of Monopoly money. There were some things he hid and then forgot about that we never did find. God knows what he did with his wedding ring.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

We Elders fear all institutions, b/c they hare the tendency to strip away all rights and restrain people unnecessarily. As an ex-Family Doc, I saw this repeatedly in “nursing homes” which operated more like minimum security prisons.

There is no reason to restrain folks just because they are aged and weaker.

leVieux

<>

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    For starters, don't pick your nose.

If you tickle your brain while digging for gold, you’ve gone too far.

I usually recommend stopping at the first knuckle…but exceptions can be made for particularly stubborn nuggets.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom