• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    They make a lot of assumptions in the article. The reason dementia is so rare in ancient texts could simply be that once you start losing your memory and mental acuity in a pre-industrial society, your chances of survival plummet. Maybe rather than it being a "rare occurence", it was simply rare for someone with dementia to be around long enough for their behavior to be commented on.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Dementia is related to birthdays. The more you have the greater your chance of dementia.
    This is the truth. We are all living longer. The older you get the more you forget. It has always been the case. I lost my Dad to dementia. It is a horrible thing. My dad was well into his 80's when he was diagnosed. I would prefer to go by being shot in the back by a jealous husband..

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Tangentially, I was at the ENT last week and got my hearing tested.

He mentioned that it's now pretty well established that untreated hearing loss contributed to dementia or, stated differently, hearing aids help delay the onset of dementia.

There was no sales pressure. He advised me to go home, read about it on the internet, and decide for myself.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    There has long been scientific data that shows a link between Type 2 diabetics and dementia/Alzheimers

In fact for a while some were referring to Alzheimers as "Type 3 Diabetes"

They studied brains of patients with the disease and found their brains were in a diabetic state.

The use of insulin seems to be the connection.

Eat poorly for years..develop Type 2 Diabetes ..don't change your diet and lifestyle ..shoot up insulin..shoot up more insulin..

If you are a Type 2 Diabetic..making changes to reduce your need to inject insulin could very well reduce your risk of developing Alzheimers/dementia

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This is the truth. We are all living longer. The older you get the more you forget. It has always been the case. I lost my Dad to dementia. It is a horrible thing. My dad was well into his 80's when he was diagnosed. I would prefer to go by being shot in the back by a jealous husband..
    my grandmother started getting it in her 80's as well the last five years of her life she went downhill fast!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    There has long been scientific data that shows a link between Type 2 diabetics and dementia/Alzheimers

In fact for a while some were referring to Alzheimers as "Type 3 Diabetes"

They studied brains of patients with the disease and found their brains were in a diabetic state.

The use of insulin seems to be the connection.

Eat poorly for years..develop Type 2 Diabetes ..don't change your diet and lifestyle ..shoot up insulin..shoot up more insulin..

If you are a Type 2 Diabetic..making changes to reduce your need to inject insulin could very well reduce your risk of developing Alzheimers/dementia

And back before they had such things as diabetes diagnosis or insulin? You'd likely drop dead before the onset of dementia or Alzheimers. So it wouldn't be a common thing for people to notice.

BTW, if anyone's interested, there is a major difference between Alzheimer's and dementia. And I've seen it myself. Alzheimer's patients live in, what for lack of a better term, is a fantasy world. They're lost in it and can't tell the difference between their altered perceptions and reality. I've seen Alzheimer's patients who were stuck in a state of stark fear and begging for help, and I've seen some who had basically reverted to a childlike state of easy amusement and lack of deep thought, who need the same care you'd give a toddler.

Dementia patients...they can tell something's 'off', but the condition robs them of the ability to process it, or to retain the knowledge when it's explained to them. It creates paranoia and belligerence, because they don't know what's wrong but they know more and more things aren't making sense...and they become suspicious of everyone, including loved ones. Especially once they're no longer able to recognize family members. Dementia is much crueler than Alzheimer's, in my opinion.

Both of them lead to the same result, though, where eventually the person you knew is gone, and there's a pale imitation behind their eyes and controlling their words and motions.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    And back before they had such things as diabetes diagnosis or insulin? You'd likely drop dead before the onset of dementia or Alzheimers. So it wouldn't be a common thing for people to notice.

BTW, if anyone's interested, there is a major difference between Alzheimer's and dementia. And I've seen it myself. Alzheimer's patients live in, what for lack of a better term, is a fantasy world. They're lost in it and can't tell the difference between their altered perceptions and reality. I've seen Alzheimer's patients who were stuck in a state of stark fear and begging for help, and I've seen some who had basically reverted to a childlike state of easy amusement and lack of deep thought, who need the same care you'd give a toddler.

Dementia patients...they can tell something's 'off', but the condition robs them of the ability to process it, or to retain the knowledge when it's explained to them. It creates paranoia and belligerence, because they don't know what's wrong but they know more and more things aren't making sense...and they become suspicious of everyone, including loved ones. Especially once they're no longer able to recognize family members. Dementia is much crueler than Alzheimer's, in my opinion.

Both of them lead to the same result, though, where eventually the person you knew is gone, and there's a pale imitation behind their eyes and controlling their words and motions.
    imo dementiarobs them of their memories the last few times i visited my grandmother in the nursing home she had no clue as to who i was!

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX

All true. One can also have multiple kinds of dementia at the same time, particularly when they get older. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Lewy body at that point it all runs together and and can not get any more worse. I can not imagine a more horrible way to go.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    All true. One can also have multiple kinds of dementia at the same time, particularly when they get older. Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Lewy body at that point it all runs together and and can not get any more worse. I can not imagine a more horrible way to go.
    Except those that suffer from it really have no idea that they are that bad off.

Top Bottom