• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hey guys there's a gun shop near me in the Houston area went to there website and saw this gun (pic below) is this a good deal for the gun?

Just wanting some feedback that's all

f0f1dac92548b09ee7e09c42b9cb3a8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I would spent a few more bucks and get a little better rifle.

I had its predecessor (model 710) and the recoil was abusive. Much more than a 30.06 should have. I have no experience with the 770 but am guessing it may be similiar in that regard.

I don't know if it was just bad ergonomics or what but it kicked like a mule.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I haven't shot one, but most of those that come back tell me it isn't bad to shoot. Of course most of those know very little about what a good stock is like either.
    Personally, I would go a little more for a Savage Axis. Still entry, but much better.
    The 770 would make a good truck/beater gun though. Just don't expect to much out of it. It was made to work and be cheap. And that is about all it is.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Latecomer to the thread. Lots of recommendations for .243 and 7mm-08, both great choices for the intended purpose. Enough power but not overkill. Shot placement is key. Either of those calibers have mild recoil so you can practice enough at various ranges to get proficient at shot placement.

One thing to be aware of with 7mm-08 is that, although a mild recoiling cartridge, it is frequently chambered in very lightweight 'mountain rifles' which have the effect of increasing the felt recoil. Just something to be aware of.

Older Remington 700 rifles are great quality and can be found used frequently. I personally used a Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 out west for mule deer hunting. Recoil in that cartridge though is substantial. That cartridge also is really a big overkill for any kind of deer hunting. Would only recommend that cartridge if you were also hunting elk as well, particularly for western mixed tag hunts because it's a very versatile big game cartridge with a wide range of bullet weights. Even then, there are other suitable cartridges for that purpose with lesser recoil such as 270 Winchester and 308 that will also fill that role.

Ruger, Savage, and Tikka also make great rifles in addition to Remington 700.

Here's some really interesting research links on terminal ballistics including studies of different calibers as well as specific bullet types in case you'd like some further reading:
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

Article on 243 Winchester terminal ballistics
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.243+Winchester.html

Article on 7mm-08 terminal ballistics
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm-08+Remington.html

The links are good reading. And accurate information.
    I'm going to be spending some more time doing research there.

geronimo509

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    DFW
    You'll be fine with a .243 (my son uses one) and a .270. I know someone who uses a 22-250 and has never had one run more than 10 yards.

Top Bottom