• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dublin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    El Paso
    I got a call a month ago about a bill I supposedly owed at a medical clinic that I used several months earlier. I told the collector that I had insurance and the insurance paid. The collector said they would mail me a copy of the bill showing the amount I still owed. Nothing has come and the calls stopped. Don't pay a bill just because some collector says you owe it. Get the information. It could be that a clerical error has been made. It could be that the collector is a scammer.

I went through the same thing a few years ago after a shoulder surgery. Separate bills came from the hospital, doctor and the imaging company that did the MRIs. With all of the bills insurance took a while to pay and the hospital sent me to collections. Insurance finally paid but the collections agent was not pleasant to deal with and it was a pain to remove from my credit report. I don't know any personally but after what I went through in that case, collections agents are scum.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I recently went to the hospital for an x-ray...last week of December. Got a bill the second week of January for $35 that my insurance didn't cover. Mailed a check the last week of January. Got a notice from a collection agent on Feb. 5th that my account had been turned over for collection! (appearantly my check and their letter crossed in mail) From the time of service rendered at hospital to time of collection letter, less than 6 weeks....wow!
    Screw collection companies...my personal opinion is that they are unscrupulous thieves that will lie, cheeat and steal to get money that IS NOT owed to them.
    And that is based on my first collection letter....that I already paid!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, blame the hospital - and I'd call and chew 'em out like there was no tomorrow. Standard Terms and Conditions are 30 days from date of billing. They then turn aging accounts over to collection agencies. Sounds like what they did here was age your account from December - even though you'd not even been billed for services at that time. The collection folks only know to go after those that they're told about - so the hospital showed VERY poor judgement (IMO) in turning over an account that "fresh" for collections. Tell the hospital that you did NOT appreciate the call, and that you DO have a choice as to where you go for medical care!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Don't pay a bill just because some collector says you owe it. Get the information. It could be that a clerical error has been made. It could be that the collector is a scammer.

I agree totally! I was going to a doctor who billed me 6-9 months later for services that were not rendered. I also got bills several times from a doctor that I never even heard of. I went into the primary doctors' office and told them that if they could not bill me within a reasonable time so I could check the paperwork properly, I would not pay. I also specified that the unknown doctor was not to be consulted or used in any way. That nonsense stopped immediately.

Pay your bills.................... Period. That does NOT mean you must allow folks to cheat you. If you accepted a service and the bill is reasonable, proper and just, then pay it. The fact that you ignored the debt and failed to pay it and it incurred penalties, doesn't make it an unjust claim.

The time frame of 30 days is unreasonable to turn something over for collection. 90 days past due is a good rule of thumb. If they don't see it your way then don't do business with them. There is a company right down the road from my house. I would drive to the MOON before I ever did business with them again! That's how our economic system works.

As I wrote earlier, American business has stooped to a new low in integrity.

Flash

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    I have been asked what I believe, well Ill tell you but you are not going to like it.

#1 I believe that any creditor that has made no attempt to contact a debtor and no attempt to collect a debt in 7 years has lost the right to collect the debt. If it was important to them then they should have made attempts to collect long before the 7 year mark. Thus anyone who contacts me on an unknown debt that is in excess of 7 years will be assumed to be a scam artist.

#2 I believe that a debt that is in excess of 7 years is null and void. If you can dodge them for 7 years the so be it. They charge outrageous amounts for unsecured credit for that very reason. That is why a secured lone is 4.5% to 7% and an unsecured loan is 18% to 25%

#3 I believe that rolling an unsecured loan into a secured loan is complete idiocy. To charge up credit cards then take out an equity loan on your house to pay them off is complete lunacy.

On the face of it, it appears to be immoral. However the following are also true

A) Charging up a credit card with the intent of walking away and relying on #2 is fraud and wrong.

B) If it is a choice of paying for the house, food, and taking care of the family or paying the credit card bills, the credit card companies can take a hike and get paid when they get paid.

C) If a creditor tries to screw me, I will invoke #2 and stick to it.

What do I mean by C? Well let me give you an example. Back in the 90's I had a credit card that was 12% Fixed APR. It had started with a 200$ limit and I had worked it up to a $3000 limit. The company sold the card to a new company. This company changed my rate from 12% fixed to 23.99%. When I complained to there service department I was told "Sorry, there is nothing that can be done about it." So I began paying the $1500 off that was on the card. This was in preparation of closing the account. When I got it paid down to $1200 they decided to lower my $3000 limit to $1100. They then charged me a $75 over limit fee and a $25 account management fee. When I paid it down to $800 they again lowered my limit this time to $700 and charged me a $75 over limit fee and a $25 management fee. When I got it down to $200 they charged me a $50 inactivity fee. Each fee was added to the balance of the card and each time I called to complain. The last time I called I told them they could stuff the remaining $250 seeing as it was fees that in my mind I did not owe them.

The only other time I have ever told some one to stuff it, was an apartment complex that was in breach of contract. I stayed for the term of the contract even though they were in breach. When I moved out they charged me a $1000 breach of contract fee. When I complained they pointed to the contract where it stated "In the event of a breach of contract the tenant will be liable for a $1000 breach of contract fee" When I pointed out that I stayed for the full 12 months, paid the rent on time, and gave proper notice, the landlord was nice enough to point out that it did not say when the tenant was in breach of contract. Only that the contract was in breach. I told him to stuff it and it was on my credit report for 7 years tell it fell off. I would like to add that I disputed it through the credit reporting agencies, but it stayed on. Seems that to validate an item on the report they fax a form over to the company listing the debt. If the company can give them the amount and the SS# of the person, it is considered a valid debt.

So, call me what you like. I guess I am a whore, if you are going to try and F**K me you are going to pay for it.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    =When I got it paid down to $1200 they decided to lower my $3000 limit to $1100. They then charged me a $75 over limit fee and a $25 account management fee. When I paid it down to $800 they again lowered my limit this time to $700 and charged me a $75 over limit fee and a $25 management fee. When I got it down to $200 they charged me a $50 inactivity fee.

So, call me what you like. I guess I am a whore, if you are going to try and F**K me you are going to pay for it.

and now we know ... the rest of the story.
    (dont sue me clear channel!)

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    What?! You mean someone braggin about how he dodged 2k in debt that he owned someone didn't get him a lot of respect on this forum? Some one has seriously misjudged the caliber of most of the people on this forum.

+100...................a company trying to collect money owed to them..............no matter for how many years is not harassment! A honorable person would pay up.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    What i hate is when you have payed the damn things and they keep calling anyway because there too stupid to look at their on records before they start letting the computer dial numbers for them and then they want to add something else or sell you something else what a damn joke.

AnArmyofRon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Granbury
    When a collection agency calls you that means they bought your debt, correct? They paid your debt and now want you to pay them for their charity? You didn't ask them to pay your debt, did you? If you can't deal with the original debtor (sp?) than you are not paying back the debt. You are paying someone who paid off your debt for you without your knowledge. The origianl debt or an agreable portion was paid by the collection agency from what I understand. You have already been forgiven by the original debtor.

I agree you should pay your debts. Don't enter a debt you can't pay. I wrote the above jokingly, but now that I look at it, it makes sense in a skewed way.

gemini

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Texas
    Major medical debt can easily get out of hand. Most Dr's and hospitals first turn debt over to their own business/collection office, then on to outside debt collectors.
    From personal experience, NEVER pay Dr's or hospitals on their first billing. Wait until the EOB's (explanation of benefits) from your insurance company have been mailed and you've had a chance to review EXACTLY what the insurance company is/has paid for. Of course you probably have to pay the initial office visit fee, depends on your coverage, but the fees for services, lab work, x rays, interpretations etc..... wait. Trying to get money back (overpayment) from Dr's and hospitals is like pulling teeth. Takes forever and it's painful. Think the hospital over charged you? Ask for a "nurse review" of the bill. Many times they double charge for medical items/supplies. Plus, it will give you some more time to get your funds together. Bottom line though, PAY your debts. You expect to be paid for whatever your job/work, so does the hospital and Dr. To avoid collections, pay something, $20 a week, $50 a month, but something. You want to be able to show a history of payment. That you are attempting to pay the debt, in case it does go to court. There's nothing that says your medical debt has to be paid within a certain time frame. Most Dr's don't have a problem with you paying out a fee. Just contact them and work something out. Same with hospitals. It's doing nothing that gets the collection ball rolling.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    So anarmyofron, you buy your house you finance it and they sell your mortage now you do not owe them. Or you finance your vehicle and the bank sells to another bank, such as wachovia to wells fargo. I know you do not agree with not paying just replying to your post.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    So anarmyofron, you buy your house you finance it and they sell your mortage now you do not owe them. Or you finance your vehicle and the bank sells to another bank, such as wachovia to wells fargo. I know you do not agree with not paying just replying to your post.

I had something similar with a security company... they were bought out and my "contract" went with it... it went to a company that I did not want to do business with nor would I have ever signed with them in the first place so I was a little pissed that they wouldn't let me out of the contract without paying the fees even though the original contract I signed was NOT with them... so I canceled when my original contract ended and let them have it...

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I got a call a month ago about a bill I supposedly owed at a medical clinic that I used several months earlier. I told the collector that I had insurance and the insurance paid. The collector said they would mail me a copy of the bill showing the amount I still owed. Nothing has come and the calls stopped. Don't pay a bill just because some collector says you owe it. Get the information. It could be that a clerical error has been made. It could be that the collector is a scammer.

This is a very common issue. The insurance companies require billing within a specified time period, usually 90-180 days of services rendered. If the Doctor's billing screws up and bills late, guess who's on the hook: You! I say F'em if they can't be responsible and bill on time.
    A friend of mine had a doctor's bill for less than $5 go to collections and ding her credit when she was never billed in the first place, it does happen.

Eli

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I deal with collection companies all the time.

The vast majority of th debt that they are trying to collect is trumped up FAR beyond the amount that is legitimately owed or originally incurred.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So Cyberlink, if you can dodge 'em until the statute if limitations is up you should consider yourself no longer obligated.

You often quote the law to people and that is the law, at least it is the last itme I checked.

Excuses. If you do not owe this debt that is one thing; if you DO owe and have decided that after x time you should no longer have to pay...well I'll remember never to do business with you.

Again, the law is the law. The law says that after 4-6 years, the statute of limitations has run. Its pretty simple. Businesses will not pay after the SOL runs.

I have seen medical service providers apparently decide that it is too much trouble to get the insurance claim processed so they turn the patient's bill over to a collection company, leaving the patient between the collectors on one side and their health insurance companies on the other.

I have seen hospitals and doctors who charge medicare $300.00 for an MRI and $100.00 for an ER visit charge individuals $1,500.00 for the same services. they then turn around and send these people to bill collectors.

Just something to think about

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Well I think there has been a huge rendering of the difference between ethically/morally obligated vs legally obligated. I definately have seen a few I will not do business with.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have seen hospitals and doctors who charge medicare $300.00 for an MRI and $100.00 for an ER visit charge individuals $1,500.00 for the same services. they then turn around and send these people to bill collectors.

Just something to think about
    This is the norm. Insurance companies get an "adjusted charge" for service. Pay cash and you get the "stick in the eye" price. One of the many things about our health care system that needs to be fixed. If the medical industry would make minor, much needed fixes, it would be much easier to take the wind out of the Obamacare sail. If Obamacare passes, it is the Health Care industry's own fault.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    It's ironic to see business owners pontificate about how others should pay their bills yet businesses are some of the worst at honoring their agreements. I know because my wife has worked in Accounts Receivable for 25 years for two major companies.

Top Bottom