• ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Read more at Bearing Arms blog.

When I saw that the Dallas Morning News had a multi-part series on gun tracing focused largely on guns recovered in Mexico, I couldn't help myself from cringing. The DMN editorial board has been a vocal supporter of gun control in the past, and I assumed that this series would slant heavily in favor of the claims of anti-gun activists that Mexico's violence can only be curbed by restricting our own right to keep and bear arms.

While the paper's reporting does feature anti-gun advocates like Global Action Against Violence's Jonathan Lowy, who's helping the Mexican government sue U.S. gunmakers over cartel violence, I was surprised to see the reporters actually took a fairly nuanced look at what gun traces can and can't tell us about crime.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Here is the Wall Street Journal article on what guns the cartels favor. Spoiler alert: the most popular ones aren't readily available on civilian market. So where are they getting them?

If you have a subscription with WSJ, you can check out the full article on their website. If not, we’ve summarized it below.

Attachments

• M249S_026.jpg
      M249S_026.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 6
    • maxresdefault.jpg
      maxresdefault.jpg
      118.7 KB · Views: 6
    • M72-EC-LAW-left-side-hvitbak-1024x354.jpg
      M72-EC-LAW-left-side-hvitbak-1024x354.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 6

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Here are the top firearms coveted by Mexican cartels, as outlined by the WSJ:

The M134 Minigun: A six-barrel machine gun capable of firing 4,000 bullets per minute. Often used to protect high-profile drug leaders, it can destroy a small vehicle in moments and is reserved for extreme operations where overwhelming firepower is needed. It’s not a gun available to the U.S. civilian market.
    M249 SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon): A lightweight machine gun capable of firing 850 rounds per minute. This prized weapon is used by top cartel leaders’ security details, symbolizing status and power among criminal ranks.
    Rocket Launchers: The M72 LAW antitank rocket launcher is used to target the Mexican military and destroy armored cartel vehicles. These powerful weapons are smuggled into Mexico for heavy combat situations.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Top Bottom