• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Ok. Been casting since Eisenhower was in the White House. Castings not my problem, but cutting this latest slab 'o lead is. Big xray plate 18"x24"x1". Its that 1" that's got me. I no longer have my forge. No anvil or cold chisel. Been cutting 2"x4" chunks off it with a hatchet and 4# maul. It works, but its tough on an old man recovering from a mild stroke that kinda numbs the right hand. I'm looking for a better way. And here's the rub, I exist, and I mean exist on a police pension that pays the bills and maybe a pound of powder and 1K of primers now and then. So... Got any real cheap yet easy on the hands methods to cut thick lead?
    DK Firearms

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I use a MAP gas torch to melt metal off the large piece. As the molten metal drips down into the catch pan it builds into small blobs. These can be made as small or large as you like.
    Takes a little time but its easy on the old back.
    A propane torch will work but its much slower as it doesn’t get nearly as hot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Jig saw or a reciprocating saw. Medium tooth blade. Stop messing around and cut the thing. It's 1" thick lead. It should cut just as fast as 3/4" plywood.

If you don't have a jig or sawsall. Use a hand wood saw.

If you don't have any of that. Take a circular saw. Rip blade. Take the blade off and put it back on backwards. I've done it to cut sheets of tin. Try it on lead.

Wear a dust mask doing any of my suggestions and sweep the lead dust up. Melt it with the rest. Take a long shower after.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Ok. Been casting since Eisenhower was in the White House. Castings not my problem, but cutting this latest slab 'o lead is. Big xray plate 18"x24"x1". Its that 1" that's got me. I no longer have my forge. No anvil or cold chisel. Been cutting 2"x4" chunks off it with a hatchet and 4# maul. It works, but its tough on an old man recovering from a mild stroke that kinda numbs the right hand. I'm looking for a better way. And here's the rub, I exist, and I mean exist on a police pension that pays the bills and maybe a pound of powder and 1K of primers now and then. So... Got any real cheap yet easy on the hands methods to cut thick lead?
    Where you at in ET?

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Great Zoikes! Guys, my right hand was weakened by a stroke. I tried to rip a 2x8 a month ago with a skill saw and it jumped kerf and near took a bite outta my arm! Hand got numb and lost the grip. Things were much easier when young. Oh well.

Tried a propane torch but got nowhere. Neighbor has a portable bandsaw, but is often busy or "into his cups" as the British say. Well, reckon its hatchet & maul again.
    My thanks for the responses guys. I'm just too old and busted up to use power tools anymore.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use a MAP gas torch to melt metal off the large piece. As the molten metal drips down into the catch pan it builds into small blobs. These can be made as small or large as you like.
    Takes a little time but its easy on the old back.
    A propane torch will work but its much slower as it doesn’t get nearly as hot.

Yep, that Mapp gas is the real deal.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Great Zoikes! Guys, my right hand was weakened by a stroke. I tried to rip a 2x8 a month ago with a skill saw and it jumped kerf and near took a bite outta my arm! Hand got numb and lost the grip. Things were much easier when young. Oh well.

Tried a propane torch but got nowhere. Neighbor has a portable bandsaw, but is often busy or "into his cups" as the British say. Well, reckon its hatchet & maul again.
    My thanks for the responses guys. I'm just too old and busted up to use power tools anymore.

Moonpie has your solution.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A friend gave me some honking huge lead counterweights. These things were about six inch diameter cylinders approx. two feet long.
    No easy way to cut them
    I would roll them up onto a short block of railroad tie.
    Set an old pan under the end and start up the MAPP torch. Melting the end. As the drippings made small blobs I would place these in the melting furnace and cast out clean ingots. It was slow but it was easy on my bad back.

Top Bottom