• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    IThe only thing with Bosch is you have to guess which of their tools are "home use" and which are contractor grade as they make both lines.

With Bosch: Blue is tradesman grade, Green is DIY.
    Stick with the blue if you have a need for a better tool.

IME, Bosch makes the best, most cost effective, jigsaw on the market.
    I own a bunch of Festool tools, but would not trade my old Bosch jigsaw for a Festool jigsaw.
    Capitol Armory ad

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    It's not a really popular brand, but it should be. Hitachi. I've had their stuff for years, professionally and personally. Hammer drill, circ saw, recip saw, and lights. Batteries last longer, charger quicker, and the torque on the drill could break your hand. I've used it to go through tile and concrete. They aren't sold everywhere and online offers best pricing is the only draw back.

Have a couple of Hitachi framing nailers. One of the reason why professional framing crews liked them is in most areas there is a trained, and most importantly, mobile, Hitachi repairman who will make the rounds of constructions sites and replace seals and other parts on the spot, and inexpensively. Saves a lot of down time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Have a couple of Hitachi framing nailers. One of the reason why professional framing crews liked them is in most areas there is a trained, and most importantly, mobile, Hitachi repairman who will make the rounds of constructions sites and replace seals and other parts on the spot, and inexpensively. Saves a lot of down time.

I bet they welcome a trade in from what you're currently using to their brand. And then they bust up the trade in before your eyes with a hammer.

Tool salesman are ferocious.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have been using Rigid tools from Home Depot. You have to register for the lifetime warranty but if you buy combo's Home Depot will try and fix it before it gets sent off to Rigid for repair.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt... can't go wrong with any of those. Watch some of this guy's tear down reviews. I really like the way he looks at the quality of components that make up the tools: https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/featured

Two words: Harbor Freight
    I would pick HF over Black&Decker. It's the same shit, but HF is cheaper. When using HF tools, the term to keep in mind is "duty cycle." If you use them lightly they are fine, but they will fail quickly over regular use.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I have a 12V Milwaukee drill. It's more of a screw gun than a drill, but I love the torque settings and I have a good attachment kit. You should be able to get a 10% veterans discount at Lowes or Home Depot on whatever you get. The weight of the 12V drills is great, but if you need torque, get an 18V.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt... can't go wrong with any of those. Watch some of this guy's tear down reviews. I really like the way he looks at the quality of components that make up the tools: https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/featured

I would pick HF over Black&Decker. It's the same shit, but HF is cheaper. When using HF tools, the term to keep in mind is "duty cycle." If you use them lightly they are fine, but they will fail quickly over regular use.

The ONLY cordless drill I've ever owned that would do this in 3500psi concrete was a Milwaukee:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355...key=Gv1sRgCM2M672etqm4iAE#5411822121950249330

s2tc7s.jpg

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've had a bunch of drills in my day. Don't use them professionally but have rehab several houses with them. Best IMO is Milwaukee but they ain't cheap. I have a Milwaukee hammer drill that won't die. A while back, replaced my dying Nicad Dewalt with one of the smaller Dewalts with a lithium ion battery. Not a powerful as my old Nicad Dewalts. But every time I pick it up, the battery isn't dead and works. I like that it holds a charge as the Nicad don't hold a charge.

Last edited:

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I have had Porter Cable, DeWalt, Craftsman, Black & Decker and some more. They are all about the same and then the battery dies and you can buy a new drill for what a battery cost (almost). The one I have now has been my favorite so far 18v Hitachi, it just keeps on going.
    My favorite for in the house use is a little 12v Craftsman, plenty of torque and battery life for in the house.
    When the Hitachi finally dies I will probably buy another one--it has been a great drill.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I prefer Dewalt. I've used them as daily work tools and home use. In both areas I prefer them to the competition.

I picked up one for $99 with batteries and charger. It was a cheaper version without the rubberized grip and only 2 speeds instead of three, otherwise worked just as well as the ones usually found. Might looks for that set.

Most batteries will have issues from sitting without use. DeWalt used to have a little green button on their chargers to refresh the batteries. Hit it and it would drain then charge the battery. Great for batteries not seeing much use. Haven't seen that style charger in a while though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I prefer Dewalt. I've used them as daily work tools and home use. In both areas I prefer them to the competition.

I picked up one for $99 with batteries and charger. It was a cheaper version without the rubberized grip and only 2 speeds instead of three, otherwise worked just as well as the ones usually found. Might looks for that set.

Most batteries will have issues from sitting without use. DeWalt used to have a little green button on their chargers to refresh the batteries. Hit it and it would drain then charge the battery. Great for batteries not seeing much use. Haven't seen that style charger in a while though.
    I believe that feature is automatic in their chargers now.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have wore out almost every brand out there. They are all about the same.

In general Hitachi makes the best tools all around. I use Dewalt because I got a good deal on it. I told myself I was going to buy a Ryobi kit but the Dewalt came up cheap.

Just be warned that most of the kits come with a crappy drill. Step up in price to get a good drill if you are going to need it much.

With all cordless tools take the batteries out (charger and tools) if they are going to sit more than a few days. The batteries will thank you.

Top Bottom