• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Anyone have an opinion ( Lord! I'm so funny some days!) on recent cordless drill developments? I'm looking to buy a new one.

I doesn't need to be a 'hammer' type and I'd prefer it be not to large, (I have a 3/4" corded for heavier work.)

Somewhere in the $100 - $150 range?

TIA,
    Mike
    Target Sports

Last edited:

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I would recommend a 2 piece kit. A drill and impact driver. Dewalt and Milwaukee will be the better brands, but I have been quite pleased with the Bosch set I bought a while back. http://www.lowes.com/pd_472190-353-CLPK26-181_1z0wclz__?productId=50217719&pl=1

Once you use the impact driver you will only want to use the drill for drilling.

I own 2 dewalt sets, 1 bosch and a craftsman diehard set to keep in the house for small stuff. For the money I like the bosch.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I started with Makita but replacement batteries were hard to find and cost 2/3rds the price of the drill.

I went with Dewalt cuz there's extra batteries everywhere. Everybody sells Dewalt. I've used ryobi but have never owned one.

It's said that most cordless drills have the same motor and guts.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    LOL on opinion.

Mine is based on both daily use, and making a living with my tools.
    My choice is the Makita 18v, 1/2" drill.
    Home Depot often has a helluva deal on this Makita combination drill/hammer kit, which I was just walking out to the truck with as I saw your post:

jj49av.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've known people that would pop apart the battery case on Makita after the battery died and used the batteries out of a dewalt or Milwaukee. In the Makita pack.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I like the bosch cordless stuff, personally. I own about five of them of various types. Not sure they make something as large as what you're asking about. I think they specialize in smaller, lighter, powerful for size.

corded stuff, I stick to the red brand, Milwaukee.

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I've known people that would pop apart the battery case on Makita after the battery died and used the batteries out of a dewalt or Milwaukee. In the Makita pack.

I own both DeWalt and Makita cordless, and I've had to buy fewer Maktia batteries than DeWalt, but that is strictly my own experience. I usually keep the DeWalts in the shop, and take the Makita's to the job.

Like'm both ... the OP can't go wrong with either.
    Until recently I routinely had the DeWalt batteries rebuilt, but their lithium's seem to keep ticking longer than they used to for me.

When it comes to tailed, I usually buy Milwaukee.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The tricky part is the budget. $100-$150 is usually a brand new drill without the batteries. No charger. Just the drill body.

Things like Black &Decker fit the budget. Makita and Bosch not so much. You can find them used in that price range. New, it's gonna be tough.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    The tricky part is the budget. $100-$150 is usually a brand new drill without the batteries. No charger. Just the drill body.

Things like Black &Decker fit the budget. Makita and Bosch not so much. You can find them used in that price range. New, it's gonna be tough.

good point, maybe OP will have to cross fingers have to wait for a black friday deal. I seem to recall getting all the bosch's at a discount on sale. looking at the bosch website, I have 2-12v drills, 1 12v impact driver, 18v drill, 18" impact driver. i love the lightweight 12v drills for woodworking.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DDB181-...=UTF8&qid=1444325451&sr=1-2&keywords=Bosch+18

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'd vote Makita. I've got two 3/8" chuck ones I've had for many years with zero problems (except two batteries replaced after 5+ years of use.)

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    As long as you don't use them..IMO

While I usually don't buy there, some of HF stuff, while cheap (in the worst sense of the word), can be a smart buy, especially if it is a tool that is going to be used on a job site by other folks.

Have two HF 18ga brad nail guns that are still ticking after ten years, $14.95 each. Also know a few tradesmen who use the HF multi-tool onsite, it works, and if it walks away, not a big deal.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It's not a really popular brand, but it should be. Hitachi. I've had their stuff for years, professionally and personally. Hammer drill, circ saw, recip saw, and lights. Batteries last longer, charger quicker, and the torque on the drill could break your hand. I've used it to go through tile and concrete. They aren't sold everywhere and online offers best pricing is the only draw back. Other than that, Milwaukee and Bosch take my picks. The only thing with Bosch is you have to guess which of their tools are "home use" and which are contractor grade as they make both lines. Ryobi is a step up from black and decker IMO and is OK for average home use. Dewalt has really lost quality the last decade. I had a craftsman drill years ago that was flawless but they stopped making batteries for it. I don't have too much experience with Makita.

Top Bottom