• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Let's try and have an intelligence and insightful discussion on this topic...no insulting remarks towards politicians or individuals who may be affected by this measure if it does become law. Just state your stance on the topic and why you support or are against it...

Committee wants to make English official language of Texas

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- English would become the official language in Texas and all official functions would have to be in English, under a law approved by the House State Affairs Committee.

The measure passed the committee late Thursday on 7-3 vote along party lines.

State Rep. Leo Berman authored the bill, which the Legislature has repeatedly debated in the past. The bill declares that the traditional and common language of the United States and Texas is English. It goes on to say that knowledge of the common language is essential to exercising constitutional rights.

Opponents argue that the law would hurt citizens who don't speak English and ignore Texas' Spanish-language history.

The bill will now be considered by the full House.
    Capitol Armory ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't see any problem with this. Personally, I think our state and federal government could save a lot of time, effort, and money in doing away with all the multi-language printing of things, and instead only print things in English. In turn, we could allocate state or federal funds to allow for FREE English classes for anyone that is here legally. Instead of trying to cater to everyone, encourage them to go take free classes so that they can better understand the language and become more productive members of society. I truly think something along those lines could have a positive effect on our society.....if we stop worrying about the "what if" factors.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    question-mark11-e1300880293834.png

I thought English was already the official language. Shows how much I know.

In my opinion, this should have been happening all along.
    Now since we, along with California, Arizona, and New Mexico are border states, it seems like it would be good sense to have some things translated for people from Mexico that are regular tourists.
    Remember, there are lots of Mexican citizens that legally come here on vacation, etc. Not everyone here from Mexico is an illegal. The illegals are just the ones that get all the news.

I do not believe that every single thing that comes out of Austin should have a Spanish translation though.

I think a lot of common sense needs to be applied here.

We are in the United States of America. The official language here is English.
    We are also a state that borders a nation that speaks a different language from us.
    Many citizens of that nation come here legally as tourists throughout the year.

Just placing yourself solidly on one side or the other is very closed minded.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    English is the most widely spoken language in the US, all of the original founding documents I believe were written in English and though there is one border alongside a country that does not have English as an official language there is another, longer border in which English is an official language. It makes sense, it would save money.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    The persons who for decades refuse and refused to join the party and be and act as Americans will not be moved into that direction by any law but I am 100% for American-English being the official language in all things in our Texas....I personally speak passible Spanish and will and do use it to converse with they who can't speak English as on the ranch years ago. I will use Spanish to be friendly to my Hispanic friends and neighbors occasionally, BUT...Its time to cut out the bi-lingual forms and paper work, If you choose to live here, live as the rest of us do ! You won't be mollycoddled in English south of the Border and what's fair for the goose is likewise fair for the gander ! Es tiempo para habla in ingles en Tejas !!!!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It is, IMHO, perfectly reasonable to publish all official State, County, and City documents in English only. There should never have been "press ONE for English, and another number for any other language."

We should not have translations of any legal document, including voting registration forms and ballots.

One of the Federal requirements for immigration or resident visas is to demonstrate a working knowledge of English!

On the Other Hand, places that cater to tourists should not be prohibited from posting directions, instructions, and such in multiple languages.

Just last year, I took my German guests to the NASA Space Center in Houston, and all the German signs were so horribly misspelled or grammatically incorrect, my guests laughed and said the English signs were much more informative.

Seit Gut!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Before I decided to completely retire, I was actively trying to get work as an industrial trainer (I am a retired teacher). I was turned down for several jobs because I don't speak Spanish. I love the Hispanic people but that is soooo wrong! This is the United States and we speak English here. To deny a US citizen a job that I was well qualified for because I don't speak Spanish sucks beyond belief!

Flash

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I don't see any problem with this. Personally, I think our state and federal government could save a lot of time, effort, and money in doing away with all the multi-language printing of things, and instead only print things in English.
    I gotta go with Sig on this one as far as the added costs. our country wastes $$ catering to every dang language under the sun. take the DMV for example, all driving related signage along roadsides is printed in english as it should be. and yet you find 10 different languaged study books to take the test. if you cannot speak and read english, why in the heck should you be given a license???? its only laziness/lack of repect in my opinion anyone doesnt learn the English language living in this country.......

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I gotta go with Sig on this one as far as the added costs. our country wastes $$ catering to every dang language under the sun. take the DMV for example, all driving related signage along roadsides is printed in english as it should be. and yet you find 10 different languaged study books to take the test. if you cannot speak and read english, why in the heck should you be given a license???? its only laziness/lack of repect in my opinion anyone doesnt learn the English language living in this country.......
    SOMEONE CALL THE LAW!!! This can't be Skeeter posting. No caps and no emoticons? His account has been HIJACKED!!!

Top Bottom