• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    I bought my knives from wholesalers except for two that I bought from dealers, The SOG Flash II and the HK Turmoil. Beside the two all my knives are from United Cutlery with names like Mtech, Tac-Force and Master USA. I like the full tang fixed blades the best but the folders are quite decent especially the Colt (Frost Cutlery?) with a D2 blade for $15.

Target Sports

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    What I have here is cheap cheap, about $4-$6 and change for most. The better ones are $8-$15+. They're not bad at all but for the light tasks. The better one are stronger and probably can handle themselves in the woods.

At least good enough for SD. :)

I kept track of what I have and paid so you can check 'em out yourselves. Some of them are quite good for the money and some retailers are asking more money for them but I buy 'em from the wholesalers.

Premium Milano Collection Spring Assist Knife - White Pearl TF-575WP 1 $5.55

4.75" Black Spring Assisted Folder Knife with Lanyard Hole TF-770B 1 $5.25

Mtech Xtreme Ti-Coated Fixed Blade Tactical Knife - Black G10 Handle MX-8120 1 $24.59

Survivor's Outdoor 7 Inch Fixed Blade Knife with Fire Starter - Brown Pakkawood Handle HK-106321BW 1 $5.55

5 Inch Closed Midnight Blue Stiletto Style Spring Assisted Knife 6M1-P106-BL 1 $5.29

Mtech USA Xtreme 10 Inch Stone Wash Fixed Blade Tactical Knife - Black G10 MX-8133BK 1 $14.99

Spring Assisted Opening Knife with Green Skull Handle & Hawksbill Blade TF-816GN 1 $6.59

Master USA Stone Wash Fixed Blade Knife - Black Handle Clip Point Blade MU-1125CB 1 $4.95

Master USA Stone Wash Finished Fixed Blade Full Tang Knife - G10 Black MU-1132 1 $15.95

US Army Strong Tactical Spring Assisted Knife - Satin A-A1026SS 1 $6.98

Mtech USA Ballistic 5 Inch closed assisted opening spring knife blue handle MT-A874BL 1 $4.59

Mtech USA Ballistic Spring Assisted Folding Knife Orange Handle MT-A895OR 1 $4.99

Master USA 9 Inch Fixed Blade Knife Satin Drop Point Blade MU-1149 1 $5.95

1 of : Dual Action Wild Frontier Knife Woodsman $8.39

1 of : Heckler & Koch Turmoil OTF Automatic Knife 3.5" Satin -14808 $119.99

Colt CT591 - D2 steel blade and G10 handle - $14.95

1 x Tac Force TF-794T 8.5" Spring Assisted Folding Knife $7.99

1 x XtremeTac XT472-50BK 9" Stiletto Spring Assisted Folding Knife $7.99

1 x U.S. Army A-A1007CS "Soldier" Licensed Spring Assisted Knife $14.99

1 x MTech USA Xtreme MX-A802 Spring Assisted Knife $8.99

1 x Tac Force TF-547BK 12.5" Stiletto Spring Assisted Folding Knife $10.99

1 x Tac Force TF-575WD 9" Spring Assisted Folding Knife $7.99

1 x UC2776 RAMPAGE STILETTO ASSIST BLACK 1 $9.98

1 x KG148 KRIEGAR GERMAN STILETTO BLACK WOOD 1 $16.99

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'd rather have a $15 Morakniv than a $300 whatever. Does everything a knife needs to do except maybe self-defense (not the worst but not the best). If you need more than that get a Ka-Bar or a sword.

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    I have one of those Kalishnakov auto knives.
    that thing has been a very good knife.

Interesting box they come in. :)

By the way I got six more I'm going to order, all full tang fixed blades. After that no more. :)

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Collecting cheap knives. Why?

Once you have a quality knife, you toss out the junk (or give them away). I admit I have a few around in the garage and such, just so I can pry open a can or something. You certainly don't want to leave a good blade in a toolbox or some other place it might get stolen.

I watched a knifemaker shave the edge off of a shiny Chicom knife, then chop it in half with his good blade.

The OP did mention that one of the knives is made of D2, which is pretty good steel. Notably, that's a steel commonly used for the tips on dozer blades.

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    Two of my knives are D2, the HK Turmoil and the Colt. :)

Yes they are cheap knives and I collect them to admire. I don't have have any heavy demands on knives and yet they are decent and useful for light duty and SD.

The fixed blades I have are heavy enough for heavy duty and 440C are pretty good steel.

By the way, here's the Colt, D2 blade and G10 handle for $15. Sharp as hell out of the box.

Last edited:

Legolas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Austin
    I would suggest there are cheap knives and there are cheap knives...meaning there are inexpensive knives made in China and Pakistan, and there are inexpensive knives made in China and Pakistan that suck.

Two folders that I've nearly worn out in every day carry over the last four or five years are branded Buck and S&W. All metal liner locks with thumb studs and pocket clips. Both were made in China and both came off eBay for some silly price less than $8, shipping included. I also have simple Buck (Smidgen) and S&W branded neck knives that I got for about $6, the same knives I see for sale now at nearly $20. And I recently bought a set of classic-styled Boker lock backs, with handles in five colors, for $10-12 each, shipped. They're gorgeous knives, paper wrapped with an instruction booklet, in a nice box, sealed in plastic, with a Boker MSRP of about $23.

These are all good knives; good fit and finish, hold an edge, good sheathes, came in boxes not just plastic bags. And I believe they're good because the Chinese manufacturers have had to up their game in order to get contracts from Buck and Boker and S&W. Are they as good as American-made Case or Buck? of course not. But they're not $40 or $60 or $100, either.

My point, I guess, is that in buying or even collecting cheap knives, you can be as discerning as you can in buying expensive knives. Among cheap knives, there are those that are truly "cheap", and those that better deserve to be called "inexpensive."

I know that S&W, Winchester and Colt are not knife manufacturers, but their brands are valuable enough that knives bearing their names are good, inexpensive knives, not cheap.

My "go-to" cheap brands are Rough Rider, MTech and Colt.

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    You made me realize that what I called my knives cheap cheap was wrong because I remembered a couple of cheap cheap knives I had and they're in the junk drawer where they belong.

Inexpensive is the right word for my set. United Cutlery has both cheap and inexpensive knives and from what I've read about them from users they were junk but not no more. I know China make cheap stuff but it's all in the contracts. If you want them to make good stuff they can. These knives are US contracted Chinese knives and they are quite decent. The fit and finish is excellent.

I bought tools so I can do a once over on the knives and got them sharp (most were pretty sharp out of the boxes) and tensioned for smooth operation.

These are what I like to carry the most:

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I have a few El Cheapos around. My favorite is a knife with a kind-of U-shaped blade. Damn thing acts as a tuning fork.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Collecting cheap knives. Why?

Once you have a quality knife, you toss out the junk (or give them away). I admit I have a few around in the garage and such, just so I can pry open a can or something. You certainly don't want to leave a good blade in a toolbox or some other place it might get stolen.

I watched a knifemaker shave the edge off of a shiny Chicom knife, then chop it in half with his good blade.

The OP did mention that one of the knives is made of D2, which is pretty good steel. Notably, that's a steel commonly used for the tips on dozer blades.

Most knife collectors I've met strongly strike me as the types would would get filleted by a ghetto thug with a 25 cent plastic box cutter. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

My $15 Mora is the most useful knife I have. I think they have a version out in D2 now, too.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I'd rather have a $15 Morakniv than a $300 whatever. Does everything a knife needs to do except maybe self-defense (not the worst but not the best). If you need more than that get a Ka-Bar or a sword.
    London, Looking at Mora Companion it seems for the 4.1" blade there's either an 8.6 or 8.8" overall length. Is the shorter grip ok or does it need to be 1/4" longer?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    London, Looking at Mora Companion it seems for the 4.1" blade there's either an 8.6 or 8.8" overall length. Is the shorter grip ok or does it need to be 1/4" longer?

I have no idea what length(s) I own. I've got an od/black one and two all black ones. I can tell you that completely unimpressive looking knife has a very comfortable and controlable handle.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have no idea what length(s) I own. I've got an od/black one and two all black ones. I can tell you that completely unimpressive looking knife has a very comfortable and controlable handle.
    Yep... Buying a Mora is the best $15 you'll ever spend on a knife.

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    Four more added to the stable (not six I thought I'd get).

The top one is thick and heavy, really cool.

Second from top, black aluminum handle.

Third, the one I wanted. Very nice and 440C steel.

Last, big as heck. Head turner for sure. ;)

Top Bottom