Lynx Defense

Close Range Gunfighting Coming to San Antonio TX!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    This is our flagship course and goes as far as you can safely go on a square range with live-fire pistols. The dynamic curriculum surpasses the traditional handgun methods commonly taught in most institutions and focuses of the use of the pistol in aggressive close range applications likely in individual civilian street encounters.

The class begins with a tune-up of the fundamentals, then we progress quickly to new skills such as Proactive and Reactive Manipulations, Shooting While Moving Off The X, Reality-Based Multiple Hostiles Engagement, 360 degree CQB Movement, Danger-Close Fighting, Bilateral Shooting, 360 degree After Action Assessment Methods, and Integrating the Flashlight and Other Tools into the Firing Platform. This is the life-saving material that is often ignored in many other programs. In two days, you will receive more information than most armed professionals ever get!

We must point out that THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE SHOOTER. If you have not received basic instruction, or have a question about your skill level, please call us first.

enroll here
    Target Sports

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Enrollments have started early, this class will be capped at 15 students maximum. I'm the host and of course Jon Payne is the instructor. If you'ld like to make a deposit to hold your spot, click here and call the SI office, Company Policies

Course description and info, July 28-29, 2012 - Close Range Gunfighting - San Antonio, TX
    CRG is NOT for the novice.

IF you are interested but have no prior training, please consider getting some basic handgun training first. Ben Branam and I are teaching a real cost effective basic defensive handgun class. More info, INTRO TO DEFENSIVE HANDGUN COURSE | HandgunWorld Podcast

Don't buy any more guns until you get some training to get the most out of what you already own!

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    This course is getting all kinds of attention from all over the central and south TX area. Don't miss this event! It's an easy drive from Austin and Houston and will be the first of many SI courses brought to this area.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    This class is shaping up nicely. While CRG is an intermediate class, if you have attended a basic class with another company and you understand weapon safety with a firm grasp of proper gun handling skills you will do fine and really enjoy this class. There are several members of TGT that live in the San Antonio area and attending this kind of training will never be more convenient.

If you have questions on whether you're qualified to attend this class just ask. If you aren't I will tell you and point you in the right direction to build your skills to where you are.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I recently found out from the range owner, that we will have 2 bays available to us for this class and we can run them at the same time. So if this course gets large (and I think it will) we can split up in to a couple groups. Jon's going to have an assistant instructor, so this will make a real nice training experience.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    This class is 1/3 full and there's 3 month left! I have a question, how many of you have taken as many training classes, equal to the number of guns you own? Are you buying hardware or getting the most out of what you already own? After this class and 2 others I'm taking this year, I will have taken the amount of training courses, equal to the number of guns I own (7.) How about you?

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The enrollments for Close Range Gunfighting in San Antonio are doing very well and I expect this course to sell out. As an added bonus, Bob Mayne of the Handgun World Podcast will be in attendance and I'm sure he'll do some interviews for his very popular show. This is going to be a great two days of training and with the response we're getting I'm sure SI will be presenting more courses in the San Antonio area.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    One area focused on in Close Range Gunfighting is the After Action Assessment (AAA). During the AAA, there are several questions to be asked and answered and there tasks to be performed. The first question you must ask yourself is did it work is he down? If he is down does he appear to be out of the fight? What kind of visual input might you receive to tell you the answer to the first question? Does he have any friends? Do I need to top off my pistol? Am I ok, was I hit? We will examine how to answer these questions in Close Range Gunfighting.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    This class will be the first of some really good training coming to San Antonio. We are going to explain and train off line movement, using SUL, 360 degree After Action Assessment, and ambidextrous shooting. If you want to get the most from PSP or Advanced CRG you need to own the skill sets in Close Range Gunfighting. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself if you can fight with your pistol. This isn't about sporting the starched 5.11s and shooting pretty little self-gratifying groups, it's about getting down and dirty learning to fight with what you have.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    This class is a little over 2 months out. If you're within a few hours drive you don't want to miss out on this training. There are students from Austin, San Antonio, and Houston attending so far. To read reviews of a CRG class look here

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    There are only a few slots left in this class! If you've thought of attending but are "on the fence" don't wait too long. Spots are filling rapidly and I will close enrollments soon.

If you can't attend this class, I will be teaching CRG again in Dallas Oct 13-14. I already have several pre-enrollments for the Dallas class, so the sooner you sign up for either class the better. Thank you for all the support, these are going to be some of the best classes I've attended to date!

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    There is still two months before this class begins and there are very few spots left. This course is going to be EPIC. Don't miss out, this will set the tone for future training in San Antonio!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have a question, how many of you have taken as many training classes, equal to the number of guns you own? After this class and 2 others I'm taking this year, I will have taken the amount of training courses, equal to the number of guns I own (7.) How about you?

I don't think anyone here would discount the importance of training, but I think you could make your point without such flawed logic. You are saying that if I have one gun, one class is enough. Likewise, if I have 200 guns, I need to take 200 classes.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I don't think anyone here would discount the importance of training, but I think you could make your point without such flawed logic. You are saying that if I have one gun, one class is enough. Likewise, if I have 200 guns, I need to take 200 classes.

When I read his post I understood he meant you should invest sometime in your skills with what you have before you buy more firearms. I don't see that as flawed logic. You really can't buy your way into proficiency or competence when the problem is the software not the hardware.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    True, but i don't think I'm required to be proficient in every weapon I own. Have an understanding of function, yes. I take a lot of training courses, many including nonweapon combative and defense. But if I find a good deal on a pistol, I'm not going to pass it up just because I haven't made a 1000yrd shot with my 50cal yet, lol.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    When I read his post I understood he meant you should invest sometime in your skills with what you have before you buy more firearms. I don't see that as flawed logic. You really can't buy your way into proficiency or competence when the problem is the software not the hardware.

In a limited context, such as someone on a limited budget buying a second or 3rd AR15 instead of spending that money on training with what they have, your point is very valid with no disagreement from me. But, to say that if I have 100 firearms I should take 100 classes is just not sensible. That was my point about the flawed logic.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    What I remember most about the first time I took CRG is doing the after action assessments. It's extremely important to learn and a technique that can't be practiced at most public ranges. Too often we get stuck in the competition rut or the plinking at a square range rut. If that's you, don't be afraid to admit it yourself and join us at CRG in San Antonio. Don't buy another gun, until you've learned how to get the most out of what you already own. See you there, this will be my 3rd time.

Top Bottom