• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyrod40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2016
    Our church does not have any 30.05, .06 or .07 signs posted; however, two issues:

1. I remember several years before covid closed our church, the pastor announced at the beginning of the service for three Sundays in a row no guns in church. About one year ago the church moved to a new location several miles away. Does the actual knowledge of the "no-gun" policy apply to the new building, assuming you originally heard it?

2. I recently noticed the 30.05, .06 and .07 notices posted in the Sunday bulletin in very, very small print (not bold either) down at the bottom of one of the pages. Does that prevent someone from carrying in the church? Especially, if you never heard the original policy from probably about four years ago or never saw it in the bulletin?

Thanks in advance. I am anxious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Our church does not have any 30.05, .06 or .07 signs posted; however, two issues:

1. I remember several years before covid closed our church, the pastor announced at the beginning of the service for three Sundays in a row no guns in church. About one year ago the church moved to a new location several miles away. Does the actual knowledge of the "no-gun" policy apply to the new building, assuming you originally heard it?

2. I recently noticed the 30.05, .06 and .07 notices posted in the Sunday bulletin in very, very small print (not bold either) down at the bottom of one of the pages. Does that prevent someone from carrying in the church? Especially, if you never heard the original policy from probably about four years ago or never saw it in the bulletin?

How about the direct and honest approach? Ask him for a monument of his time. Take time to allow him to explain his feelings and see if he will allow you the time to explain yours. If he finds your position untenable, first he is not a sensible person, second you have options to find another place to worship with like minded individuals. .

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you receive written notice that is sufficient notice. Find another church.

Not effective notice and I’d have a field day in court with this by simply asking can you prove I picked up that bulletin?

But let’s back up the how TPC30.06 really works. A sign is posted and a license holder goes past it. Someone has to get LE involved to write the ticket. Who’s calling the cops and on what grounds, because nobody on staff has the authority to write the citation.

Continuing with that, let’s say a staff member says I’m sorry, but you have to leave. Okay, I leave; no violation.

Wait, the staff says “you’re can’t leave until the cops get here to trespass you.” Nope; illegal detention by the staff member and I relate to the cop that I tried to leave and was detained against my will. Staff member gets arrested.

Just checked the DPS statistics; still zero 30.06 convictions and a grand total of 4 UCW by a license holder convictions.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    You attend church there. I would say it's time to have a conversation with the Elders because normally, they would be the decision makers in a church. We have a security ministry at my church, most of them are armed during service and in the parking lot.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ldaniel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2022
    Humble

So, to reiterate, the Church must have The Sign(s) posted on the building where people are likely to see it, or someone who works at the church can say "No Guns." as you enter. If none of this occurs and they discover you with a weapon and they tell you to leave and you leave immediately, that is a defense to prosecution.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Not effective notice and I’d have a field day in court with this by simply asking can you prove I picked up that bulletin?

But let’s back up the how TPC30.06 really works. A sign is posted and a license holder goes past it. Someone has to get LE involved to write the ticket. Who’s calling the cops and on what grounds, because nobody on staff has the authority to write the citation.

Continuing with that, let’s say a staff member says I’m sorry, but you have to leave. Okay, I leave; no violation.

Wait, the staff says “you’re can’t leave until the cops get here to trespass you.” Nope; illegal detention by the staff member and I relate to the cop that I tried to leave and was detained against my will. Staff member gets arrested.

Just checked the DPS statistics; still zero 30.06 convictions and a grand total of 4 UCW by a license holder convictions.
    The op said he read it in the bulletin. He has been given effective notice. Not disagreeing with everything else that you wrote but notice can either be by signs, verbal or written and op said he read it in the bulletin. If he wasn't honest about it then he may not have received effective notice.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    So, to reiterate, the Church must have The Sign(s) posted on the building where people are likely to see it, or someone who works at the church can say "No Guns." as you enter. If none of this occurs and they discover you with a weapon and they tell you to leave and you leave immediately, that is a defense to prosecution.
    Or written notice. Op read it in the church bulletin.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    He may have read it, but he was given verbal notice 3 sundays in a row.

But evidently verbal notice has an expiration date.

All notices, written or verbal expire as soon as you leave the building.

For example if today a business has a sign up and tomorrow it doesn’t, you can’t be charged tomorrow because there is no effective notice at the time the event occurred.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    All notices, written or verbal expire as soon as you leave the building.

For example if today a business has a sign up and tomorrow it doesn’t, you can’t be charged tomorrow because there is no effective notice at the time the event occurred.

Okay, I can understand that.
    Didn't make sense before.
    Thanks.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Todd keeps it simple, and clear
    If you don't have a Todd you need a legal dictionary, and the statues in front of you to figure out if you are in compliance.
    As we are discussing statues, we are in the realm of effective notice, at the time of the occurrence, and not constructive knowledge of an intention.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Todd keeps it simple, and clear
    If you don't have a Todd you need a legal dictionary, and the statues in front of you to figure out if you are in compliance.
    As we are discussing statues, we are in the realm of effective notice, at the time of the occurrence, and not constructive knowledge of an intention.
    Yes, for us dummies....

Top Bottom