Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Article mentions reopening a mine in the US. The problem much like oil, the company(s) will sell the product to the highest bidder which includes the non-US market which could cause a US shortage or forced high prices.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Why aren't our engineers/scientists working on inventing different propellants?

Cause they need to invent better safe spaces.

I sure am glad we gave piles of ammo to a corrupt country.

Reopen the mines, designate them as national security items and under ITAR control. Hammer anyone who sells a grain of sand from there to any foreign nationals. But that would make it America first and that’s racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    IT"S NOT CHINA'S FAULT!

It's our fault. Why on earth would an American powder manufacturer allow themselves to be dependent on China? Why would the US government allow such a critical industry to be in that situation?

Greed probably explains some of it. Unreasonable regulatory environment no doubt has a part. (I spent 45+ years working with that, so I know how bad it can be.) Some of it, maybe most of it, could be intentional on the part of certain powerful people.

Nitrocellulose used to be called gun cotton. You treat cotton (which we grow) with nitric and sulfuric acids (which we make) and you get the base for smokeless powder. There are other ingredients, but we easily have the capacity to make them and we have made them in the past - for at least 100 years. In double base powders, you add nitroglycerin which is made by nitrating glycerin, a waste product from making soap.

So how do we close the gap between "we can easily do these things" to "We're doing them again!"?

I really should pay less attention to what's going on. It tends to aggravate the hell out of me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Article mentions reopening a mine in the US. The problem much like oil, the company(s) will sell the product to the highest bidder which includes the non-US market which could cause a US shortage or forced high prices.
    That still means more supply for the same overall demand. And since china will be cheaper anyways due to an overall lack of any safety or environmental regulation and dirt cheap wages they will most likely be the cheaper product for anyone they haven’t refused to sell to.

That said, it’s going to increase prices here regardless.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    IT"S NOT CHINA'S FAULT!

It's our fault. Why on earth would an American powder manufacturer allow themselves to be dependent on China? Why would the US government allow such a critical industry to be in that situation?

Greed probably explains some of it. Unreasonable regulatory environment no doubt has a part. (I spent 45+ years working with that, so I know how bad it can be.) Some of it, maybe most of it, could be intentional on the part of certain powerful people.

Nitrocellulose used to be called gun cotton. You treat cotton (which we grow) with nitric and sulfuric acids (which we make) and you get the base for smokeless powder. There are other ingredients, but we easily have the capacity to make them and we have made them in the past - for at least 100 years. In double base powders, you add nitroglycerin which is made by nitrating glycerin, a waste product from making soap.

So how do we close the gap between "we can easily do these things" to "We're doing them again!"?

I really should pay less attention to what's going on. It tends to aggravate the hell out of me.
    Naw they would just Unionize it and make it too costly to be worth while.

Top Bottom