• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Don't shoot crap in your AR's.

Makes no sense whatsoever to spend $900+ on a quality AR-15 platform weapon and then try to save a few bucks firing sub standard ammunition.

That steel cased Eastern European ammo is cheap for a reason. It is best reserved for amateurs and those interested only in turning money into noise. Americans still make the best ammunition in the world; man up and pay the extra money for some Lake City Match to see what you and your weapon are really capable of.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

Makes no sense whatsoever to spend $900+ on a quality AR-15 platform weapon and then try to save a few bucks firing sub standard ammunition.

That steel cased Eastern European ammo is cheap for a reason. It is best reserved for amateurs and those interested only in turning money into noise.

Relax there Seal Team Six,

If you are shooting 1000s of rounds it absolutely makes sense. The steel cased european stuff is cheap because people there work for $3 a day and dont belong to unions like they do in the U.S.
    I have shot tens of thousands of steel cased rounds. They work fone for 90%+ of people who shoot ARs.

And by the way, a $900 AR isnt a top notch gun.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Relax there Seal Team Six,

If you are shooting 1000s of rounds it absolutely makes sense. The steel cased european stuff is cheap because people there work for $3 a day and dont belong to unions like they do in the U.S.
    I have shot tens of thousands of steel cased rounds. They work fone for 90%+ of people who shoot ARs.

And by the way, a $900 AR isnt a top notch gun.

^^^ This...Want a good quality AR? Prepare to spend between $1600-$2400 dollars. Don't get me wrong, 900 dollar ARs are great, my wife has one since she bought it for her first rifle years ago and loves it. But if you want the best of the best, shelling out the money is required. As far as the steel cased, as I said, AK's love it and alot of other russian made weapons do too, like the mosin nagants, SKS's, etc. Personally, I don't use steel unless I shoot my AK but that's just because I can reload brass. Brown Bear and Silver Bear are some of the cheaper bulk you can buy and work flawlessly for me in my AK. I have yet to shoot steel out of my wife's AR and I don't think I ever will honestly.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    If you want the best, you will become a reloader. There is no better ammo than a round that was perfectly tuned to your rifle. No mass produced store bought ammo can come close to a good reload. Once you get set up, you can load match grade ammo for 1/3 or less of what it costs in the store.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've never had an issue shooting steel, although I hate the cleanup after. Anyone shot the zinc coated casings the vendor sells on here? Curious on those and the good price.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

That steel cased Eastern European ammo is cheap for a reason. It is best reserved for amateurs and those interested only in turning money into noise. Americans still make the best ammunition in the world; man up and pay the extra money for some Lake City Match to see what you and your weapon are really capable of.

With all due respect....

Some folks have to be careful (okay, cheap) in terms of the cost of their ammo. It works for them, it's their gun - so be it. A $900 AR is a (relatively) cheap one - if I were "into them" the way I am .45's, I can easily see having $2400+ into a quality build WITHOUT all the bolt-on stuff folks love ta add - and that is still relatively cheap.

By comparison, just 4 of my .45's would represent a $15,000 insurance claim if they were stolen - and I routinely shoot reloads (of my own make) in them - and will stack the results against ANY "match grade" ammo out there.....and I've friends with that much in just ONE of their .45's.

Steel cased is cheap because of the high cost of brass, and the low acceptance level of steel-cased ammo. Folks are resistant to something different, so you either make it cheap, or else it ain't gonna sell.

And if you're gonna talk about "quality" ammo....there's at least 3-4 vendors with better results on their match-grade ammo than Lake City....but yer gonna pay for it.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    My DTI upper chews up steel and spits it out just fine. The only time I really use it is in lost brass situations. I HATE losing brass. Tula is about the only steel case round I have used. I have yet to have a single issue.

Had a good laugh at one gun snob one day. He was spouting off about his AK and it was so good, he'd never ever dirty it with steel cases. Some people never learn.

prometheus

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Rockwall
    I have a rock river m4 carbine in 5.56 with the slidefyre floating stock and a 100rd betamag. A buddy of mine made a wager that if i burned off 200 rounds rapid-fire the intense heat would warp the barrel to such a degree that it would dramatically increase my MOA from the factory advertised .5 inch at 50yards. The ammo i used was steel cased "monarch" russian fmj's and fired two betamags through it very rapidly. The barrel was glowing, i could light a ciggerette off the barrel. He loaded a 30rd mag and took some aimed shots with impressive accuracy. The point is, even heating it up as bad as i did, using the cheapest ammo i could get my hands on, i have no residue build-up, no ftf/fte. The thing ran like a top. I think it has more to do with the composition of the steel used to make the barrel than the casings that determine level of fouling.. just a thought.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    With all due respect....

Some folks have to be careful (okay, cheap) in terms of the cost of their ammo. It works for them, it's their gun - so be it. A $900 AR is a (relatively) cheap one - if I were "into them" the way I am .45's, I can easily see having $2400+ into a quality build WITHOUT all the bolt-on stuff folks love ta add - and that is still relatively cheap.

By comparison, just 4 of my .45's would represent a $15,000 insurance claim if they were stolen - and I routinely shoot reloads (of my own make) in them - and will stack the results against ANY "match grade" ammo out there.....and I've friends with that much in just ONE of their .45's.

Steel cased is cheap because of the high cost of brass, and the low acceptance level of steel-cased ammo. Folks are resistant to something different, so you either make it cheap, or else it ain't gonna sell.

And if you're gonna talk about "quality" ammo....there's at least 3-4 vendors with better results on their match-grade ammo than Lake City....but yer gonna pay for it.

Not to mention that match grade ammo isn't a fit for all users. My AR is a carbine set up for close-in shooting; it really wouldn't benefit me to run ammo that brings accuracy to the .5MOA realm when 2 MOA is still more accurate than I need for the kind of shooting my rifle is set up and intended for.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Cheap steel case ammo makes my AR dirty, but I wouldn't want to own any gun that would make me hesitate to shoot steel case ammo.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have a G17 that has never seen brass ammo....runs fine. Myself and MajorMadMax ran some through some ARs yesterday morning.

It seems that (according to post #21) we must be amatuers.

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    So I guess we will have to throw Hornady into the cheap steel ammo group along with Tula, Wolf and Monarch since they make .223, 9MM. and .45 ammo with steel cases...????

I have shot a lot of .45 Wolf with no problems and Tula .223 in my AR before I started reloading. When I don't feel like picking up brass that is still what I shoot.

TM

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've never had an issue shooting steel, although I hate the cleanup after. Anyone shot the zinc coated casings the vendor sells on here? Curious on those and the good price.
    Which vendor and ammo you asking about? I've shot quite a lot of silver bear and really like it. It's dirtier than most brass cased stuff, but not that bad in my opinion. Definitely never had a stuck case. Zinc is a very "slippery" coating.

Top Bottom