• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Cast iron is where it's at. Poopoo on all these 500-1000 buck cooking pans. I get even heat, a wonderful non-stock surface with cast iron.

It heats more evenly than aluminum or steel (because it is thicker), but the claim that it heats perfectly evenly is a myth. Fill one up all the way to the edges with pancake batter and let it cooker longer than you should. You'll definitely see a ring on the bottom of the pancake mirroring the heat source you used.

I'd like to plate the bottoms of mine with copper one day just to see what the difference would be.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    It heats more evenly than aluminum or steel (because it is thicker), but the claim that it heats perfectly evenly is a myth. Fill one up all the way to the edges with pancake batter and let it cooker longer than you should. You'll definitely see a ring on the bottom of the pancake mirroring the heat source you used.

I'd like to plate the bottoms of mine with copper one day just to see what the difference would be.

Iol compare that to your pos walmarts pan of comparable cost (pre-hipster fandom)

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I got my Iron from a vendor at First Monday in Canton. There are/were several vendors all with antique cast iron skillets. All mine predate 1910 and are smoother than the current made stuff because the sand molds used real fine grain sand. Mine as so smooth I can't see the texture.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It heats more evenly than aluminum or steel (because it is thicker), but the claim that it heats perfectly evenly is a myth.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. I have one of the original pattern Lodge woks that's a smooth curve on the inside with an extra amount of iron on the bottom to give it a flat bottom surface. It's sits perfectly on a standard, small electric burner.

And it doesn't heat evenly. It's designed not to. The center will smoke olive oil while the handle is still cool. That's perfect. I use a proper wok chan to scrap the food off the bottom and the least-cooked food then automatically falls to the hottest part of the pan. It's an incredibly efficient way to cook. Any idiot can, for example, scramble a dozen eggs at once with perfect results.

Yeah, even heat is a good thing for flat pans. Most of the time, though, I want the exact opposite.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    We've welded handles on old tractor disks and use them as woks on an outdoor burner. Cast iron.
    Disks are not cast iron, they are in most cases mild steel or hardened steel. Cast iron is way to soft to use as a disk, nor does it weld very well, it gets very brittle at the point of weld for what is already a brittle metal.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Go to the antique shops find nice ones cheap

hey dude, the words "antique shop" and "cheap" don't go together.

I've found older American made cast iron in some of these places and it is sky high. I have found some at flea markets too, but it is mostly Chinese crap

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    hey dude, the words "antique shop" and "cheap" don't go together.

I've found older American made cast iron in some of these places and it is sky high. I have found some at flea markets too, but it is mostly Chinese crap
    Pffffffffffft logic does not come into play

Top Bottom