Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Induction cooking, uses magnetic force to cook with and cast iron is as good as it gets...
    Induction cooktops and cast iron go together beautifully, so I'm told. For that reason, I looked into an induction cooktop a while back but wound up so mesmerized by my desire for things like this: Garland GI-SH/WO 3500 Countertop Induction Wok Range 3500W that I eventually gave up on the idea completely and just continue to use my old electric coil unit.

After all, that unit is special purpose (although if I had to cook everything in a wok, I could) and bumping up close to $2K. It's possible to spend nearly $12K on a single station: Dinex DX1011208 Countertop Induction Heating System, 208v/3

When I find myself trying to justify purchases like that I (usually, luckily) snap out of it and just walk away from the whole subject. If I ever build a new house, though, there will be some mighty expensive induction cooking units in the kitchen.
    Target Sports

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Mexicans can't be yuppies

I think of myself as more of a pretty hard core country boy that has infiltrated executive mgmt of Corporate America. I am not fond of it, or living in town, but it's what my oldest son needs right now - gotta do the right thing for your family.

Hoping the top dogs in NYC don't figure me out, lol

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Are you talking about the Finex with lid? Those are made in the U.S. See the video in the OP. What makes me let out with a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot about their products is that they've patented the octagon. Seriously.

Read here: FINEX Cast Iron Skillet Product Details & Manufacturing

It' probably a necessary first step towards going after the inevitable Chinese counterfeits that will pop up on eBay for $50 brand new. The whole "Pouring thing" seems like BS to me. It's a skillet, not a sauce pan. Half the sauces anyone would ever want to make contain tomato so you shouldn't be cooking them in cast iron anyway.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Since we're talking about good old made in USA quality- anyone else intentionally go after other older, quality American cooking accessories? I've managed to amass quite a collection of old Revere Ware pots from thrift stores over the years. They usually go for around $7. Matching lids are still pretty easy to find, too. Copper bottom, all steel, no teflon, made in USA. They also have quite an interesting history:

"The Revere Copper Company was the business that operated North America's first copper rolling mill. It was started by Paul Revere in 1801 in Canton, Massachusetts and developed a commercially viable process for manufacturing copper sheets." - Wikipedia

Not exactly "The" Paul Revere- but his dad! (Wikipedia incorrectly links to the famous P.R.) I pity the fools who miss out on these when the market dries up. Have you seen the prices of Chinese copper bottom pots?!

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I started cooking on cast iron and My wife and I will continue until we die. I use all lodge and 1 from the early 1900s that was inherited from a great great great aunt. (Not sure if I got all the greats). It's finish is tougher than the lodges and it it warped a little so it's not as flat on the bottom. It has a marking on the bottom that I don't understand. Buy them cheap and keep them seasoned. The coarser the finish the more flavor they add. They should smell awesome when you heat them up before you cook with them.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    10616220_10202678471469459_2102347541824346839_n_zpse4706203.jpg

here's a Lodge chicken fryer my MIL picked up for me and a antique store for $6. cleaned it in my Etank. oldest two I have is a Lodge and a BSR pan both from the 30's. I picked them up for $10total. I wont inherit any, so I am starting my own collection.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Induction cooktops and cast iron go together beautifully, so I'm told. For that reason, I looked into an induction cooktop a while back but wound up so mesmerized by my desire for things like this: Garland GI-SH/WO 3500 Countertop Induction Wok Range 3500W that I eventually gave up on the idea completely and just continue to use my old electric coil unit.

After all, that unit is special purpose (although if I had to cook everything in a wok, I could) and bumping up close to $2K. It's possible to spend nearly $12K on a single station: Dinex DX1011208 Countertop Induction Heating System, 208v/3

When I find myself trying to justify purchases like that I (usually, luckily) snap out of it and just walk away from the whole subject. If I ever build a new house, though, there will be some mighty expensive induction cooking units in the kitchen.
    Ben, neither of those are suitable for a home unit or even cooking with, they are made for producition line cooking, in the case of the DINEX its where you want to heat 4-6 trays a min.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, neither of those are suitable for a home unit or even cooking with, they are made for producition line cooking, in the case of the DINEX its where you want to heat 4-6 trays a min.
    I'm aware. Sometimes it's just fun to over-spec your hardware, kinda like the guys who spend $700+ on a bipod for their AR.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I love my cheap lodge stuff. The grill pan is great for getting grill marks and searing a steak inside on a stove. The big pan is good for everything and anything else.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I love my cheap lodge stuff. The grill pan is great for getting grill marks and searing a steak inside on a stove. The big pan is good for everything and anything else.

Cast iron is pretty much the only thing for searing! Steel and aluminum just can't handle that kind of heat without warping. That reason alone is why anyone with more than a passing interest in cooking should learn the fine art of cast iron cooking.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Cast iron is where it's at. Poopoo on all these 500-1000 buck cooking pans. I get even heat, a wonderful non-stock surface with cast iron.

Use it every day. Just take a little care. I'm using 3 I stole from my folk house when I moved out. Not sure how old they are. One is a lodge. The other unmarked. Look, messycan food just plain tastes better over cast iron. Dunno why but it just does.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got several cast iron cookwares. Some old inherited stuff and some new $15-$20 stuff from Academy. The old stuff is smoother due to generations of use, but the new cheap stuff works great, too. I can cook on anything, but when it comes to steak and corn bread cast iron is the only option.

Top Bottom