• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Would love to try Sous Vide. I notice burgers come out much larger. But is the taste that much better?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Would love to try Sous Vide. I notice burgers come out much larger. But is the taste that much better?

Only been doing it for a few weeks, but it depends.
    I will say that IME the better the cut of meat, the better the outcome.
    And, within a much longer time frame of cooking, in both time and temperature

Success appears to have a lot to with the amount of connective tissue versus muscle in the cut.

Cooked an el cheapo rib steak that was overall tough to chew due to the connective tissue, but the actual muscle itself was awesome in flavor and tenderness. A balancing act between time and temperature, as with all types of cooking, so experimentation is necessary for your setup.

Thus far the best proteins I've cooked sous vide are salmon and chicken breast, both of which tend to be too overcooked for my preference. Cooked sous vide, both are awesome ... flavorful and tender, with just the right texture ... left too long in the bath at the same temp and the naturally tender meats will tend to get a mushy texture.

Lots of guidance on youtube ... just be ready to separate the wheat from the chaff, as the BS content is pretty much you would expect on youtube.

This was chicken breast, cooked sous vide and seared in a hot cast iron skillet, with olive oil. The "pot liquor" left in the bag after cooking was added to the searing skillet, cooked down, and made a helluva gravy/sauce.
    sousvidechicken.JPG

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "Thus far the best proteins I've cooked sous vide are salmon and chicken breast"

I know you're a pro with the residual heat method of cooking pork, but you HAVE to sous vide some thick center cut chops (followed by a quick sear). You're welcome. ;)

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    "Thus far the best proteins I've cooked sous vide are salmon and chicken breast"

I know you're a pro with the residual heat method of cooking pork, but you HAVE to sous vide some thick center cut chops (followed by a quick sear). You're welcome. ;)

Just experimented with a small pork tenderloin, sous vide; turned out good, just not spectacular.
    Very tender and juicy, but it lost too much texture.
    Going to cut the time down to 1 1/2 hour from 2 1/2, at 135F.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Still waiting on my lunch/coffee invite. I'll shoot you a PM soon, catch up a bit.

Retired, spent late spring through the fall fishing in AR.
    Just go back in town in late Nov.
    Fixing to PM you, and voila, you showed up today.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I may have to try it. It is slower which is a negative for everyday meals. I'm usually looking for fast when I'm hunger. Usually do burgers, chicken, steak and etc on my BGE. Maybe one day.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't like sous vide cooked meat. It doesn't sear and just doesn't taste the same to me. It looks un-appetizing as well.
    You have to pat the surface dry and get your pan or grill screaming hot before you sear. It should only take several seconds to get some color on it. Also people tend to make the mistake of putting oil or butter in the bag with meat. While cooking with butter is normally amazing, you don't want to do it with sous vide as it dilutes the fat already in the meat. You just end up washing away a lot of the fat soluble flavors.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Just a heads-ip for those near a Costco... They have a two-skillet set (12" and 10.25") with two silicone handle protectors for $25. I checked the pricing on Amazon and they normally go for $55.

I don't need the 10.25" skillet but the 12" will come in handy. I'll probably sell the smaller one for 10 or 15 bucks and come out with a $30 skillet for $10!

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Mish-mashing this thread and the "What's for dinner?" thread a little bit.

Hit a cast-iron trifecta with tonight's dinner... Caramelized onions in the #5 skillet; roasted red potatoes in the #8 skillet; grilled a thick pork chop (which has thick cast-iron grates). Mmm, good eats.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I didn't look at all posts but has enameled cast iron been discussed here?

Currently own 2 lodge pans: One of the meat sweats and one for fish. Hard to beat fish from a cast iron.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've got a couple Le Creuset cast iron pans. I like mine. East to clean up compared to a regular cast iron.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I've got a couple Le Creuset cast iron pans. I like mine. East to clean up compared to a regular cast iron.
    We have one Le Creuset 3.5 QT dutch oven. Love it but the only issue is it's just the wife and I. Only time we use it is to cook a feast when friends come over.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    We have one Le Creuset 3.5 QT dutch oven. Love it but the only issue is it's just the wife and I. Only time we use it is to cook a feast when friends come over.
    You don’t hafta fill it to the top. You can keep the level of the contents low and use it as a skillet.

Top Bottom