0a4e859629f252e201406144546bd0bb.jpg
    Target Sports

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I have a big square one that I use for searing steaks. It doesn't have any markings on it so I don't know how old it is. I clean with a little salt and a paper towel. Water never touches it.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got four cast iron items: a 6" skillet, a pre-1960's 10.5" skillet, a super-thick Smart's/Findlay 12" round griddle, and my fancy/recent Le Creuset enameled dutch oven. The 10.5" skillet gets used the most, probably twice a week or so.
    Le Cruset is the best stuff to come out of France since St. Emillion wine. Expensive, but bad ass

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    For my regular cast iron pans, I clean with a stainless steel chain thing, dry it then oil it for the next use. The chain gets all the food off the pan without damaging the finish. For my LeCruset pans, those are porcelain coated so usually scrub those with one of those green scrubbers.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    How do you like that carbon steel skillet? I just recently found out about them and have been checking them out.

I like that they are essentially a middle ground between a heavy cast iron pan and a regular lightweight stainless pan, or at least that's what I understand.

It’s my go-to pan. A sunny side up egg with slide across it...

It like anything else. It’s a tool, fits well into my cooking.

it is less mass so it heats up faster than cast. Gets a bit hotter imo.

Sooo. I use it for eggs frying.

when I want some heat. Blackening, fish, searing steaks or pan burgers (crap you can’t beat it for a burger)

Does great on pancakes. Breakfast sausage.

If I’m making a hash, or browning meat I still use cast. Because of the sides, going up is difficult.

Bacon still goes in cast too.

IMO everyone should have a couple.

Basically I use some form of cast or carbon for everything but soup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Going to have to try a carbon steel pan. I've had my eye on a DeBuyer 10" carbon steel pan on Amazon for a while. I need a good omelet pan. I like the idea of an egg sliding out of the pan and onto the plate by justing tilting my hand. Can't do that with my cast iron pans.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Grew up using a cast iron skillet and that is what I was taught cooking on by my grandmother. Back then, skillets were better than they are now, but if seasoned right, will do just as good. The good thing about cast iron skillets, you can do anything with them. Stove top, oven, charcoal pit or open camp fire. Not to good on a electric stove, but does ok. Still have one of my grandmother's 12" cast irons (my mom has the rest) and I wont part with it for nothing

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Anybody thought about sanding down one of the newer ones cast with the more coarse sand to get the old-thin surface. Got a Lodge and a random orbital sander...

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Anybody thought about sanding down one of the newer ones cast with the more coarse sand to get the old-thin surface. Got a Lodge and a random orbital sander...

Yup, there are many videos on YouTube showing how to do exactly that. All mine are older smooth pans but if I bought a new one I'd probably smooth it out a bit before seasoning.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    That's the only way to go with the newer stuff. Degrease the skillet good before sanding or the sandpaper will clog up almost instantly. I use a moderately coarse grit to start with then switch to finer. You can see the depth to which you are removing metal. It will be darker at the bottom of the "pitts" and shiny at the top where you are actually cutting. I do not try to get a perfectly smooth appearing surface, but one smooth to the touch.. Use some sandpaper in the hands to get sides , not as much work as the bottom. Then wash and re season. I also got a carbon steel pan and did it the same way.

With all my trouble, I cannot get my wife to use it, she wants the non stick stuff, which to my mind after a few months is not so non stick any longer, not much better than good cast iron or carbons steel. She looks at the cast and simply says it's too heavy. I have cast iron from a little 8" skillet to a big round bottom 5 gal pot.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    With all my trouble, I cannot get my wife to use it, she wants the non stick stuff, which to my mind after a few months is not so non stick any longer, not much better than good cast iron or carbons steel. She looks at the cast and simply says it's too heavy. I have cast iron from a little 8" skillet to a big round bottom 5 gal pot.

Patience ... IME, takes awhile to teach a modern woman about cast iron utensils.

First thing my new, stubborn as an Arkansas mule bride did in the kitchen some 34 years ago was put one of my cast iron skillets in the dishwasher. She was forbidden to touch them after that for about another ten years.

Finally realizing that good cast iron skillets, properly cared for, were more non-stick than any of the modern non-stick skillets she's purchased, that's now all she'll use.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom