• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    Friday I looked at a Colt Detective Special at the Pasadena Carter's Country. The manager offered to set it back for me if I wanted, I called Saturday and ask if it was still there, he said it was and at my request he put it back for me to come and buy it Monday after work. I was told it would happen, and today I was told it was done. I went in there to put it on lay away. But someone sold it Saturday, on lay away. Basically after agreeing to sell it to me then they sold it out from under me. :banghead:
    Target Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    So this was your first time dealing with Carter's?

There are a couple of threads around here with similar stories of dissatisfaction.

There are times when you just have to walk away, take your money somewhere else, and even if it cost you more money, take satisfaction that your money didn't go to someone who would treat you that way. That advice applies to far more than Carter's, but it seems to especially apply to them.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Friday I looked at a Colt Detective Special at the Pasadena Carter's Country. The manager offered to set it back for me if I wanted, I called Saturday and ask if it was still there, he said it was and at my request he put it back for me to come and buy it Monday after work. I was told it would happen, and today I was told it was done. I went in there to put it on lay away. But someone sold it Saturday, on lay away. Basically after agreeing to sell it to me then they sold it out from under me. :banghead:

You might be the person that put it back on Saturday ... that's happened before at where I work. I put a pistol back and the other work crew told the guy that it was sold. Guy came in and I asked him how he liked his pistol, he said I sold it from under his nose to my bewilderment. I then go in the vault, pull the gun, and sell it to him.

I would double check.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    You might be the person that put it back on Saturday ... that's happened before at where I work. I put a pistol back and the other work crew told the guy that it was sold. Guy came in and I asked him how he liked his pistol, he said I sold it from under his nose to my bewilderment. I then go in the vault, pull the gun, and sell it to him.

I would double check.

yah cant make that stuff up...

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake

I would double check.

I talked to one of the managers there and he checked, the gun is still there but someone else has it on lay away with money on it. He went over the paperwork and told me it was sold after he put it back. So either it was not put back (I have no reason not to trust this guy, he has shot straight with me in the past), or someone got it out of where he put it.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Oh yeah - if you were going to pay cash, I'd get the manager to sell it to you anyway and tell the guy that put it on lay-a-way that it was previously sold but inadvertently unmarked. You already had a sales agreement.

Eli

kasTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I'm not surprised at all. Bought my first gun from them years ago. Bought another from them before I got shafted on the first (gun had issues). Never bought another gun from them, but will buy reloading components there in a pinch.

Just last year I was in the Pasadena store picking up some powder and saw a like-new CZ in .308 in the used rack for a really good price. I asked they guy to take the cable off so I could look at it, and as he was taking the cable off he said, "Hey, what is this doing here? This is supposed to be on lay-away." He left me standing there while he took it in back, and never returned.

Like I said, I'm not surprised at all.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I am beginning to wonder how he stays in business. His prices are high and Bass Pro Shops and Academy has a better selection of hunting gear.

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    Do you have a credit card?
    What would have been the difference in giving them your credit card number over the phone so you have some skin in the game
    go in and do the paperwork as soon as you can and then paying for it that way and then over time paying it off?
    Other than a tiny bit of interest with having it on layaway?
    Layaway kinda started back when not everyone and their kids had 12 credit cards open-
    I'm not saying folks should by guns on credit but to make a deal on a scarce item sometimes it works for the best?

Top Bottom