• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I don't see why they wouldn't honor the coupon. I wouldn't take no for an answer. It's just like going for a oil change with a coupon, but also getting some work done on your brakes. Whether or not you get the brakes done, should not have any difference on the validity of the coupon.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ha! Checked my mail tonight and there was a coupon from the nearest Honda dealer - for what you ask? Timing belt replacement!

If you'll remember, I got a quote of $960 from them sight unseen for a timing chain replacement. I called and asked if the $495 coupon could apply to a chain replacement with an adjustment in price for the difference in the cost of parts. She has to research that and will call me tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Dude, that would rock. If you can get away for under $800, you're doing alright.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
    Coupon has typical disclaimers of 'not all cars have belts & see your owners manual' blah, blah, blah....

Been driving the truck and what happened a couple of days ago but ... "Change engine oil" light comes on. Mothe ... fuc ... bit ...
    Been doing that this evening plus talkin' smack with the neighbors. Ya know, best us caucasians can n all :p

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
    Coupon has typical disclaimers of 'not all cars have belts & see your owners manual' blah, blah, blah....

Been driving the truck and what happened a couple of days ago but ... "Change engine oil" light comes on. Mothe ... fuc ... bit ...
    Been doing that this evening plus talkin' smack with the neighbors. Ya know, best us caucasians can n all :p

GM truck? Change the oil, turn the key on and within five seconds, press the accelerator to the floor three times (too fast and it won't pick up). Light's out!

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Don't know if you have it fixed yet but an idea. Back in Illinois I found a Toyota mechanic who worked at a dealership. He gave me a card and said if you need repairds let me know I can do it for 1/2 the price. Try craiglist and see if you can find one, put it up in the auto parts section and you might get lucky. Never had to use him but I did pass that information around.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Cars loaded and going to Honda for diagnosis tomorrow.

Confidential:
    Thank you, that was a very generous offer!
    Also, their price was the same as Honda without the extra drive through Houston.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Honda called, the chain has 'slipped' and timing is off
    No compression too. Want to tear it down further thinking its the tensioner and maybe send head out to be inspected.

If the cams/crank are far enough out of alignment COULD that keep it from getting compression?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If there is a valve open during the compression stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thats what I thought but I didnt ask the question right

With chain connected to all 3, can they be so far out of alignment it cant get compression?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    If the chain jumped then yes it's possible and highly probable that the valves are open at TDC when they check for compression.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Just met with the shop foreman and he said out of alignment probably caused lack of compression.
    Also said when they turn crank, cams dont rotate and vice versa. Weird, they did for me at home.
    They are going to open chain cover and see where things stand.

There is some good news to report, I jacked the car up last Mon with the Craftsman floor jack and it stayed til I dropped it last night

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    GM truck? Change the oil, turn the key on and within five seconds, press the accelerator to the floor three times (too fast and it won't pick up). Light's out!
    Hey, I may not be some hot shot mechanic but I know how to turn off my idiot lights :p

Just talked to Honda, chain tensioner didn't break but it is not keeping tension so apparently that one 'clack' I heard was the jump.
    About $700 OTD and should be ready tomorrow as long as no other damage was caused.
    Damn that would buy a lot of Tannerite :(

orbitup: your inbox is full

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    700 is more like it. Sounds like you got away without a seriously huge repair. By comparison, I'm doing a scheduled maintenance on an Audi that's more than that.

Top Bottom