Patriot Mobile

Car in the backyard... what do you do? (endless quest adventure)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do

• Step out onto your back porch unarmed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I guess the 3rd choice minus the call 911. Also, my lights would already be on. Never understood turning porch/yard lights off at night to be honest.
    This; my porch lights are always on. I wouldn't call 911 if it was an open yard and it's not likely that they hit any of my property, but if it were my house they would have crashed through my fence, ran over my garden and possibly the ducks. I'd be calling 911 to get an official report and then calling Zinc to sue their ass.
    Guns International

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You can always just hang out on the porch. Sitting in a rocking chair with a shotgun across your lap.

Do the creepy slow rock. Rubbing the shotgun with a rag.

Seems legit.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    This; my porch lights are always on. I wouldn't call 911 if it was an open yard and it's not likely that they hit any of my property, but if it were my house they would have crashed through my fence, ran over my garden and possibly the ducks. I'd be calling 911 to get an official report and then calling Zinc to sue their ass.

Dan is clearly the man.

You run over a Man's ducks, much less Dan's ducks, and there will be heck to pay.

Needs more banjo
    I'd be more afraid of a guy slow playing a banjo than a guy with a shotgun. :pig:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Someone pulls into my driveway at night, the shotty is at ready, let alone my yard. I would shine high powered light back in their direction to signal recognition they're there, to blind them as I'm blinded by their lights, and to possible light up to cabin to see what they're doing.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    1. Get armed.
    2. Get wife and kids taken care of.
    3. Turn out all interior lights except maybe hallway lights so intruders can be seen.
    4. Call 911 and tell them of the situation and that I am armed and do intend to defend myself and family and property if need be.
    5. Turn on lights in back yard if they are not on motion sensor.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    What are you calling 911 about again? It doesn't sound extreme that, absent any other facts, you're going to tell 911 you are armed etc.?

Not criticizing, trying to understand why you would call in such a manner. I could see calling if it got weird, but not initially and not declaiming that you're armed.

I agree with 1-5 by the way, but I would hold off 911 until it develops. Too many "oops" reasons depending on the fact pattern and the location.

Barney_Fife

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    I don't like any of the options. Call 911, sure. Then what? Huddle in the house and wait for them to kick-down the door and come after you and your family. Hell no. Best defense is a good offense, and if the threat is real the best response is to bring the terror TO them, and not piss yourself waiting from them to bring it to you.

Turn ON back porch light? Stupid. When things go tactical you don't need to blind yourself and do a bad job of illuminating the potential bad guys. Plus if you need to leave the house you have just backlit yourself, and if you turn it off prior to leaving you've telegraphed that you are "doing something". Best to leave it real dark In fact, my very first response would be to turn off every light in the house while calling 911. Your backyard is tactically your battleground and you know what's what and what's where. If things go Full Retard, you'll want to get real close in order to kill as many of them as possible as fast as possible without giving them any warning or opportunity to escape. Unless you want to kill 2 and have the 3rd convict you of murder by telling believable lies to a jury, and then have a civil judgement take everything you own. Two words: George Zimmerman.

I know a drunk that fell asleep in the drive through of a Taco Bell. When the Police Officer woke him up, the 1st thing he said was "Do you mind if I ask why you pulled me over, Officer?"

So I don't like your poll. And in these situations there's too much nuance that cannot be boiled-down into a handful of words in a poll. Is the car running? Is there music blaring? Can you hear people's voices? Is anyone moving around in the car, in the yard, etc... What kind of car is it? Is it a nice car or some hood-cruising ghetto-mobile with rented tires and a bunch of meth-addict retards playing deep-bass booom booom booom music? Do you have a Section 8 house nearby, with a house-full of pasty colored, flabby-muscled and retarded drug addicts wearing black and red bandanas selling drugs every weekend? Or does the elderly neighbor have early-stage Alzheimers, and despite being told to stop by everyone she knows, she still insists on driving herself to mass.

Etc...

I once had someone shooting my front window and the rounds were hitting the glass less than 12" from my head, and the decision I had to make at the time was whether or not it was a BB gun, and the next step was to call the Police, or if the incoming rounds were .22 and the next step was to return fire. There's a 17 yo alive today because I made the right choice. You can't encapsulate that moment in any "poll". .22 rounds continue travelling across the living room and embed themselves in the opposite wall, and BB gun pellets just shatter the glass. I made that calculation in less than a second. There's no training, no "poll", no manual or "how to" guide that is going to prepare a person for that critical moment.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'd just like to insert one idea here. If they're in your backyard with thier headlights on the back of your house, why would you go near any windows or doors if you're the least bit alarmed? There's no way to look out without them seeing you, so go out the front door, and flank them from the rear or side. This leaves you the element of surprise and let's you check things out without being blinded. You can walk just normal and everything - just take the long way.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I'd just like to insert one idea here. If they're in your backyard with thier headlights on the back of your house, why would you go near any windows or doors if you're the least bit alarmed? There's no way to look out without them seeing you, so go out the front door, and flank them from the rear or side. This leaves you the element of surprise and let's you check things out without being blinded. You can walk just normal and everything - just take the long way.

Thats cruising for a confrontation though. Do you really want to do that?

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    So I don't like your poll. And in these situations there's too much nuance that cannot be boiled-down into a handful of words in a poll.

I like this observation and have made the same arguments myself.

However, this is exactly the information the actor had at the moment I stopped the narrative of events and where he made his decision. The poll includes the exact choice our real-life actor made and one clearly better choice than the others. If he had heard voices, I would have shared that. If he heard voices, I'd have shared that. If he could describe the car and contents, you would have had that, too.

So, share your thoughts because they are valuable to others to consider, then go hit C in the poll and quit whinin' 'bout it's imperfection. Cuz life is never perfect.

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Idk if most of y'all saying not to call police was before the edits to the OP I saw, but I would call without hesitation. They're on my property, in the middle of the night, not just an oops wrong driveway and back out again...the OP makes it sound like it was intentional and they're staying. That's a suspicious vehicle, and if it were an urban environment, it needs to be addressed.

In this scenario: arm up, protect family, don't be an obvious target in a window, and call 911.

When will you post what really happened? :-)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    this is exactly the information the actor had at the moment I stopped the narrative of events and where he made his decision. The poll includes the exact choice our real-life actor made and one clearly better choice than the others.
    I think it's more fun trying to guess what actually happened... I'm gonna vote he did #2, and I'm going to up the ante by speculating that it was a cop car and he had an uncomfortable night.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Oh ya, and to those who said don't call because what if you get arrested and such, wtf are y'all hiding in ya backyards lol...is that vehicle there to collect something?!?

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I've got the luxury of a police station at the front of my neighborhood.
    they'll get the call, I'll sit inside and watch the show. Armed, obviously.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I've got the luxury of a police station at the front of my neighborhood.
    they'll get the call, I'll sit inside and watch the show. Armed, obviously.
    There ya go, who doesn't enjoy a good show?!

Top Bottom