Guns International

Car in the backyard... what do you do? (endless quest adventure)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do

• Step out onto your back porch unarmed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    Quiz time!!

The following scenario is based off of a recent real event...

It is between 12:00 midnight and 1:00 AM on a weekday morning. A car pulls into your backyard via a neighbor's driveway. The vehicle headlights are shining on the back-porch. You are not expecting anyone. You own a 9mm handgun and have working phone service via both you and your wife's smart devices. There are two young minor children who live in your home with you.

What do you do?

ETA2: "A car pulls into your backyard via a neighbor's driveway." Did not crash, did not careen into sliding and braking. Pulled into the neighbor's driveway then threaded through an opening between a carport and a telephone pole. The car drove controlled 20 yards into you backyard and stopped. It is 100% obvious the driving into the backyard was intentional.

"You are not expecting anyone." Not expecting visitors, parking in the backyard has never been allowed.

Option 3- calling 911 includes a non-emergency call if you desire.

Thank you for the opportunity to add to the understanding of the situation.

ETA1: I will be submitting a series of these based on a real event. I will ask you to make decisions at key moments in the events that unfolded that morning and then tell you what decision the person made and present the new what would you do options. This could be both fun and educational.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Wish polls worked on Tapatalk.

Did they drive through the fence into your backyard or is it unfenced?

In my yard I'm flipping on the lights and hanging out w an AR watching the back door. My wife can grab a phone and go back to the kids' rooms.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah the call part is really dependent upon info we don't have.

They'd have to crash through my back fence to be in my yard. I'd call 911 anyway because of the crash.

Unfenced back yard might be different. Out in the country a couple hundred yards past your gate may be different.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    if they were in the driveway, no big deal. in the yard? idk man. i may not be so quick to call 911, but i'd definitely be armed and ready

Headlights shining on the back door. Driving through the yard. It's not much of a sneak up. I'd pay attention to them but I wouldn't go condition red.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Quiz time!!

The following scenario is based off of a recent real event...

It is between 12:00 midnight and 1:00 AM on a weekday morning. A car pulls into your backyard via a neighbor's driveway. The vehicle headlights are shining on the back-porch. You are not expecting anyone. You own a 9mm handgun and have working phone service via both you and your wife's smart devices. There are two young minor children who live in your home with you.

What do you do?

ETA: I will be submitting a series of these based on a real event. I will ask you to make decisions at key moments in the events that unfolded that morning and then tell you what decision the person made and present the new what would you do options. This could be both fun and educational.

Why are you calling 911 in your calmest scenario response? The paranoia level seems really high and potentially going to have the police come and take YOU away. Except for response #4 which is the most prudent of course.

Also where's the "while the Wife provides covering fire, you belly crawl to the enemy vehicle, plant sticky bombs on it wheels and take out the aggressor with your tacticool pen?" :)

Last edited:

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Yeah the call part is really dependent upon info we don't have.

They'd have to crash through my back fence to be in my yard. I'd call 911 anyway because of the crash.

Unfenced back yard might be different. Out in the country a couple hundred yards past your gate may be different.

True points.

Someone pulling "into you yard" could be
    1. right next to the driveway and making space for other vehicles to come in.
    2. a newcomer confused on the house.
    3. Your drunken brother in law (in which case fire away!! er I didn't say that ...)
    4. The Jade Helm Ninjas have finally come for you.

Seriously though, fact patterns matter on this, and it would be unnerving regardless. As another noted, my yard is fenced in, so thats a different scenario.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I guess the 3rd choice minus the call 911. Also, my lights would already be on. Never understood turning porch/yard lights off at night to be honest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Look at the house as the center of a dart board. Each ring around the center(house) is a zone. The house is red, 20 yards outside is orange, 50yards yellow, down the street is green.

The closer someone gets, the more attention is paid. Readiness go's with the color of the ring.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I guess the 3rd choice minus the call 911. Also, my lights would already be on. Never understood turning porch/yard lights off at night to be honest.
    There you go. You are protected in the house, are aware, and are not committing any crimes.

Look at the house as the center of a dart board. Each ring around the center(house) is a zone. The house is red, 20 yards outside is orange, 50yards yellow, down the street is green.
    Just remember, the white zone is for passenger loading and unloading, not the red zone!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Too many questions, too many variables. What happens if the car is an unmarked police car?

Somebody who's lost, doesn't know the area and by chance they ended up in your yard?

Might be one of your kids buddy?

Chinese food?

One of the local drunks forgetting where he or she lives?

Top Bottom