• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So...I've been laughing about this lately.

I've got flat dark earth holsters, black holsters, OD green slings, USMC digital desert backpack, coyote plate carrier and on and on.

Anyone actually stick with one color?

I'm certainly not going to go back and buy everything to match so I can look like a Ken doll, but I have been thinking about just how many colors/patterns I have lately.

I think it just kind of happened, like the USMC camo pack, it was nearly half price compared to the new high speed army camo pattern.

The flat dark earth holster? I used to wear khaki colored pants and figured it would blend in, now I wear dark grey pants and use the black holster but just bought a coyote tan belt! Yes, I try to conceal, but showing happens.

I'm not over thinking this and not losing any sleep over it, more than anything I'm getting a kick out of my mismatched "kit". I suppose for my probable future role, my stuff should look pretty rag tag, right?

Anyone here been consistent or have you chased the cool new color/pattern, chased deals or?

I don't have any super high speed low drag urban camo gear. If you rock the German flektarn camo, you win it all.
    Hurley's Gold

Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    I started collecting foreign camo over thirty years ago as a hobby. I've sold some of it recently, but still have 20 different patterns scattered around. I also, have a mix of current camo and solid patterns for my various range bags and packs. I like the mixture for a couple of reasons. First, it allows me to to "color code" my gear (rifle stuff, pistol stuff, med stuff, etc.). Second, I want to avoid any misrepresentation as being associated with or desire to be associated with a particular organized "unit". I say use what works best for the application and let the color or pattern fall where it may.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't like wearing all the same pattern or color at the same time. Looks too much like a uniform. I am definitely not uniform :laughing:

I don't really wear camo anyways. Subdued natural colors work just fine for my needs.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I tried to get a new sheath made in Kryptec but the guy says its unobtanium. Was almost cool.

I've got some forest camo, khaki, real tree, green, etc, etc

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't like wearing all the same pattern or color at the same time. Looks too much like a uniform. I am definitely not uniform :laughing:

I don't really wear camo anyways. Subdued natural colors work just fine for my needs.
    Thats what I always bought in hiking gear. Just random greys, greens and browns.

Ive really been thinking about the popularity of the coyote and flat dark earth colors. For most of us that seems wildly impractical as we are not in the sandbox.

I try to buy the least military looking gear that I can but sometimes I find a deal that adds some weird pattern or color.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    One of the best camo's I ever saw used, as well as being very effective in a variety of instances, was old burlap feed and potato bags.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wear a custom ghillie suit made from BDUs and dyed burlap. I also caver all my gear. I keep separate suits to cover different seasons and terrain.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, I really have put serious thought in to building a Ghillie suit.

Just cause I think I would be cool to have.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I pulled some pics from a game camera and saw myself in the camo I normally wear hunting. I was surprised how different it looks with the IR camera!

I read an article some years ago that said if you want to see how good your camo is, take a black-and-white photo of yourself in front of the area you will be hunting in. Since most animals don't see color, that's how they will perceive you. It's surprising how different it can look.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Interesting, never thought about trying that.

Generally animals aren't completely color blind. Certain colors will stand out. IIRC, blue is fairly visible to deer and will stand out, where as hunter orange blends in with foliage.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Interesting, never thought about trying that.

Generally animals aren't completely color blind. Certain colors will stand out. IIRC, blue is fairly visible to deer and will stand out, where as hunter orange blends in with foliage.

Colorblind, in school used the pink crayon on everything until I learned to read, and have rarely been fooled by camoflauge. It became particularly noticeable when calling in artillery fire out of aircraft, in that I could see many things my pilots, who are required to have color acuity, missed entirely.

Can see Texas blue bonnets though ... thank gawd.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Well, I really have put serious thought in to building a Ghillie suit.

Just cause I think I would be cool to have.

One of younger brothers has one and it's pretty slick. I have a 3d camo poncho and I don't recommend them if you're stalking because they get caught on everything. His ghillie suit is more of pants and a shirt and snags a lot less because it's strips that hang off instead of the 3d cutouts.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've got what was on sale.
    It doesn't really match. I look like the redneck that I am.

Top Bottom