• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok guys and gals, what are some good cache ideas of yours? I'm thinking about volunteering to give a class at a LGS during one of thier survival meetings, and the first one I've been asked to cover is caches. To me, this is just one of those kinds of things that I automatically do without much thought.

A good cache should be stored somewhere difficult for someone to stumble across. Caches differ in size, so I'm just going to cover a few ideas for compact cache storage. You can pickup small plastic boxes with water tight lids at walmart. Some basic items to put in the box could include:

-A compact handgun and mags such as a SIG P938 or Smith and Wesson Shield.
    - Coat hanger to make an impromptu barrel holster
    -Watch
    -Compass
    -Sturdy Steel Pen
    -Write in the Rain note pad
    -Razor
    -Knife
    -Mouthpiece (good for hand to hand combat)
    -Cuff key
    -Mini Compass
    -Cash
    -Small LED light
    -550 Cord
    -Hankerchief
    -Loose Change
    -Lighter
    -Cigarettes
    -Sunglasses
    -Kevlar shoe laces

Now, the items I listed for that box are more so if shit hits the fan, and you need to get going - that can help you get where you're going. You could keep it in a bug out bag tucked away somewhere, bury it out at an empty lot, tuck it away in an abandoned shack, etc. Just make sure if you bury it or hide it, you have some control of the lot to where it won't be seeing any drastic changes without you knowing - such as construction improvements.

That right there may cover 5 min worth of talking. I'll cover medium sized caches that have food/shelter, and larger caches witg full sized guns and ammo storage as well. What other tips can I articulate that I may have forgotten or just don't know?
    Capitol Armory ad

99taws6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    I would add a fire starter instead or in addition to a lighter, a sharpening stone, cable saw, leatherman and a signaling mirror. Also maybe a box or two of extra ammo to go with said pistol. You can also go cheap by using sections of 4" PVC pipe glued and capped. Will never leak and stay dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    All you need is a long range rifle, a spotting scope, and ammo. Once you find the guys going to his stash, take him out and reap the rewards. Lather, rinse, repeat....

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Think about the size of the cache in terms of your escalation of needs over time. I think people tend to make one big cache and put too much stuff.

A small cache is for short term/immediate like getting somewhere that day. It may only need a lighter, sealed water packet, handgun, leatherman, &0.99 poncho and cash. You most likely already have a phone w a light on you for light and comms. If you have urgent meds then those too.

Medium cache is for more than just part of a day. Maybe two days.

And so on.

Just my 2 cents.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Mouthpiece for what? I think how to hide it and mark the location are good topics.
    Mouthpiece is to give you an advantage for taking hits to the face. Like I noted - it'd be for if you see yourself about to get in a fist fight.
    I would add a fire starter instead or in addition to a lighter, a sharpening stone, cable saw, leatherman and a signaling mirror. Also maybe a box or two of extra ammo to go with said pistol. You can also go cheap by using sections of 4" PVC pipe glued and capped. Will never leak and stay dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The lighter is to go with your cigarettes and help you blend in. It's also got other good uses - as do cigarettes. I'd probably put the all weather matches in my mid-sized cache with my wilderness survival supplies. I think it's a good idea to have supplies to survive in wilderness as well as urban environments. If shit goes down and you're in the middle of Dallas, you may have to get out on foot. A cache for that may be best left in your spare tire carrier or vehicle jack kit.
    All you need is a long range rifle, a spotting scope, and ammo. Once you find the guys going to his stash, take him out and reap the rewards. Lather, rinse, repeat....
    That's good in theory, but first you'd have to know where the hidden cache is. If you know that, you might as well go rob it yourself.
    Think about the size of the cache in terms of your escalation of needs over time. I think people tend to make one big cache and put too much stuff.

A small cache is for short term/immediate like getting somewhere that day. It may only need a lighter, sealed water packet, handgun, leatherman, &0.99 poncho and cash. You most likely already have a phone w a light on you for light and comms. If you have urgent meds then those too.

Medium cache is for more than just part of a day. Maybe two days.

And so on.

Just my 2 cents.
    Great input. I'll include that.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    People are creatures of habit, and paranoia. Hoarders will lead you to their stash if they think no one is watching.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Mouthpiece is to give you an advantage for taking hits to the face. Like I noted - it'd be for if you see yourself about to get in a fist fight.
    Oh, hahaha... I was thinking like a mouthpiece on a saxophone or something similar. I can see how to use that in hand to hand combat, but I was having a hard time understanding why to cache one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    5' copper wire for snares.

20' spectra fishing line, stainless hooks. Freeze dried mill worms for fish.

Compact butane torch with extra fuel and or 5 pack of Bic. Steel wool compacted in a sealed taped bag. Magnesium striker.

Hammock. The $20 net hammock from academy. It'll be one of your most cherished items. Inflatable pillow.

Tooth brush and baking soda.

Baby powder. Unscented.

Mini dike wire cutters. (Effective hand and toe nail trimmer, 550 cord, plastic, nylon strap, etc)

Bug spray. Lots of bug spray. Cream or spray. Spray the inside of your boots at night. Also in you hat hanging up.

Folding knife. About a 2-3" blade. Diamond sharpener.

Aspirin, salt, pepper and Tabasco. (Morale)

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Laminated topography map of areas you plan to be around.

Tiki torch refill cans have an hour rating. Ones enough to light a camp sight where a ground fire can't happen or is dangerous.

Rose Bush trimmers. Fairly heavy duty. It's usually small limbs that get in the way. These make easy work of it. Fiskers are the lightest. Camp axes too.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hole dug to where there's 3+' above the top of the container. I'd suggest a big army surplus pelican box. Big enough to store it.

Add a foot of dirt on top of the sealed box. Throw a few chunks of metal on top of that. Brake rotors, bicycle handle bars, general metal crap. Fill the hole up. The dirt has to be compacted or you'll get an low spot.

Take a couple gallons of high test sugar water and pour all over the spot. Camouflage till the vegetation grows back.

Map the location.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I dunno, I've always heard that when most think it's time to bury you should probably be digging them up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom