• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Get out the pitchforks....I have butter in the house, but I use margarine almost always. I don't notice a difference. I guess I'm a caveman when it comes to taste and I'm a cheapskate when it comes to food.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Butter! Margarine and all those "vegetable" oils are crap.

Olive oil is great, but I've switched to tallow and lard for all my cooking. Animal fats don't cause inflammation; unless you have a rare meat allergy that is.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Butter... Parkay...

Seriously, wife has had me on a Land of the Lakes spread which is part butter part canola oil.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Not that I am aware of, but maybe that is just my Alzheimers acting up.
    :laughing: ..but seriously; unless you are in the approximately 15% of people with an APOE4 gene, dietary cholesterol isn't something you really need to worry about.

Swings in your blood sugar and insulin have more impact on most people's small dense LDL than anything else.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Get out the pitchforks....I have butter in the house, but I use margarine almost always. I don't notice a difference. I guess I'm a caveman when it comes to taste and I'm a cheapskate when it comes to food.
    Wife and I eat very well, I did not spend 70+ years climbing the food chain to eat sticks, weeds and gravel when I arrived.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    If you spend your life worrying about every little thing you eat, are you really living?
    Tell that to the ultra marathoners that drop dead from a clogged LAD (lower anterior descending artery - cardio docs call it the widow maker) when they never even had a clue.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Tell that to the ultra marathoners that drop dead from a clogged LAD (cardio docs call it the widow maker) when they never even had a clue.
    I quit running after Jim Fixx, whom wrote about how running is good for your heart, died of a heart attack while running.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't do margarine. If I use butter, the salted HEB brand is usually what we get. Kerrygold is pretty good stuff!

Dietary fat may not be the boogie man we've been indoctrinated to believe it is.
    no it isn't
    Good dietary fats are needed for your body to produce hormones, like Testosterone. They are an important part of your macro nutrients
    I generally eat about 70-80 grams of fats a day and try to make them good fats.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    In order of most-to-least used:

Peanut oil, olive oil, butter (unsalted), toasted sesame oil, vegetable oil spray (canola?), margarine.

- Peanut oil for anything going on the grill (high flash point).
    - Butter or olive oil for most cooking inside (based on flavor needed).
    - Toasted sesame oil or vegetable spray for certain dishes or cooking needs.
    - Margarine for anything we're buttering up at the table like cornbread or corn on the cob (my wife's preference).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting to see the number of folks eating unsalted butter. Personally, can't stand the taste of unsalted butter.

Besides, salt's evils are way overrated.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't do margarine. If I use butter, the salted HEB brand is usually what we get. Kerrygold is pretty good stuff!

Dietary fat may not be the boogie man we've been indoctrinated to believe it is.
    That's what I said..
    The right kinds are good for you and an essential part of your calorie intake

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Everything in moderation. I was told to eat low fat due to high cholesterol years ago. I've been diabetic for 8 years and told low carb. Recently, I spent an ungodful week trying to pass a kidney stone which they said could be caused by too much protein. No fat, carbs or protein...what's left?

Top Bottom