Guns International

Browning Buck Camper or Ruger Mk IV for plinking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Ruger mkIV. I love my tactical
    Point Blur_May102022_162433.jpg

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Ruger but mainly because it’s what I grew up on. I have a MKI and two MII. Love them, I’ve shot the browning, it didn’t do anything the rugers weren’t already doing. Plus the added benefit of adding anything you want to the ruger.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    For years I owned and shot MkIIIs (Std, 22/45, Competition), all modified having removed the mag disconnect and LCIs, great shooters. I eventually sold them and now have a MkIV 22/45 Lite and it is a lot of fun. Has a threaded barrel, one of the main reasons I bought it, and with a Dead Air Mask, everyone loves plinking with it, it is very enjoyable.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Ruger but mainly because it’s what I grew up on. I have a MKI and two MII. Love them, I’ve shot the browning, it didn’t do anything the rugers weren’t already doing. Plus the added benefit of adding anything you want to the ruger.
    Well, I hadn't thought about the upgrades, and that is really the big benefit leaning on the side of Ruger...
    The aftermarket parts/replacements with newer-tech. add-ons and upgrades would put Ruger as the logical choice.

TANDEMKROSS, Volquartsen, Butler Creek, Black Dog Machine, and more make some primo-upgrades/add-ons and/or mags.

I think Ruger was losing money to 3rd-party mag MFRs for cheaper, larger-cap 10/22 mags, they had to compete and start producing 25rd mags, when they initially said they would only make 10rd-ers (and the former-owner or founder that said this... died as I understand)
    Black Dog Mag had a very similar design, so Ruger had to compete with the BX-25 mags, for a "similar" price-point...

The Ruger Mark-series has even more options available for cosmetics and upgrades than even a Beretta 92FS/M9 does, from what I've seen.
    (Not that it's a handgun, but the 10/22 Fun-Gun looks as sweet as they come for cosmetics...
    i425.photobucket.com_albums_pp331_Bill_Akins_Scottwerx_20Thompbc9ff277463d2e4cbbfe53ba81d41083.jpg

But it appears their web site is no longer hosted, and the domain name is parked. [Used to be http://www.1022fungun.com/store/] )
    For years I owned and shot MkIIIs (Std, 22/45, Competition), all modified having removed the mag disconnect and LCIs, great shooters. I eventually sold them and now have a MkIV 22/45 Lite and it is a lot of fun. Has a threaded barrel, one of the main reasons I bought it, and with a Dead Air Mask, everyone loves plinking with it, it is very enjoyable.
    My wife has the 22/45 Lite, and loves it. I'm partial to the Hunter series, but until recently, every time I was looking for one, there was a panic (which is pretty common with all the craziness Dems are pushing, constantly), so I didn't get Hunters until this year.

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Yep. Love the 22/45 Lite with the threaded barrel. Tandemcross makes some cool accessories for it too. My vote is for the Ruger 22/45 and silencer following.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    It goes both ways most do changes looking for better performance and never actually get any. They settle on the looks for the money the spent.
    Well, I never even fired my Mark III, and swapped the LCI out, but really didn't know if there was a feeding issue OOTB...
    BUT I didn't want an LCI to begin with, it just had one, as I know how to press-check & chamber-check...

Additionally, removing the mag-disconnect is way-more than cosmetic, but logical, not tacti-cool. :D

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Well, I never even fired my Mark III, and swapped the LCI out, but really didn't know if there was a feeding issue OOTB...
    BUT I didn't want an LCI to begin with, it just had one, as I know how to press-check & chamber-check...

Additionally, removing the mag-disconnect is way-more than cosmetic, but logical, not tacti-cool. :D
    There are a few exceptions such as yours but for the most part......

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think it also depends on how much is a person willing to spend initially. The initial cost of the Buckmark is considerably higher than most of the Rugers. The upside of the Rugers, is that they have much better aftermarket support in parts and accessories than the Buckmark. A person can also biuld a Ruger type pistol and not use one Ruger part in building it.

Top Bottom