Guns International

Browning Buck Camper or Ruger Mk IV for plinking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I’m ready to purchase a .22 pistol just to add some less costly shooting after I practice with my carry guns. Both the Browning Buck Camper and the various Ruger Mk IV models get good reviews. I would be interested in any opinions and maybe a suggestion for which Ruger model for general fun target shooting.
    ARJ Defense ad

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Well, all the 4 Ruger .22lr firearms here, with 3 being the MARK IV series,
    and hitting human-sized steel at 50yd with red dots about every time,
    I might be a bit bias... ... ... but I say Ruger...

We LOVED the Mark III series, but the dingle-berry hammer strut pissed off my wife, even more than me...
    AND I knew how to work it... but it still pissed me off, but that is only for reassembly and cleaning,
    it shot straight as an arrow, but I can't speak for other MGRs/models.
    The Mark IV is a VERY improved design.

Same goes for the GP-100, I only have the .357 Mag revolver,
    but want a used GP-100 in .22lr because my GP-100 .
    in 357 MAG is a hell of a gun, and I can also hit steel with it
    at 50yd almost every time!

Since selling off the Mark III's the Mark IVs were a bit pricey,
    especially for the Hunter series, during the panic, but I bought 2, just myself.

WELL WORTH THE PRICE!

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Browning Buck Mark if you want the best, most accurate pistol out of the box.

Ruger (any Mark version) if you want something you can customize until you finally get bored or run out of money.

I have several of both and neither are picky about what you feed them. When they start to get dirty, they'll let you know with a FTE or a stove pipe. Spray them with some lube and keep shooting, then clean when you get home.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Browning! All day long!!

I love Rugers. They are all heavy duty, well made, dependable and easy on the eye.

I had a Ruger Standard but the hammer strut just completely turned me against these Ruger 22s. I don’t even have any interest in giving the Mk IV or 22/45 a chance.

I have a Buckmark and a 1911-22. Both are really awesome. I favor the 1911-22 of course, but I believe they are discontinued - well worth chasing one down on the secondary market.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I appreciate the comments. I‘m thinking I might start with a Ruger Mk IV if I can find a trade for my Glock 43. Thanks

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Sig pretty much has the 22lr pistol on lock right now. 20 and 25rnd magazines, Optics ready, threaded muzzle, and ambi controls for $400. I've only function shot mine into the woods so I can't vouch for accuracy, but the barrel is mounted to the frame and the trigger breaks at 3.5lbs. I expect it to be adequate at least if not pretty damn good. Next range visit will tell.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Depending on your EDC, it may be worth it to find a good analog (if available). When I carried M&P9, I bought an M&P22 for the exact same purpose. The .22 had the same ergos, used the same holsters, just about everything was the same except trigger pull.

For 1911 guys, the Ruger 22/45 is a close emulator from an ergo perspective.

I always suggest dot torture as a real good 50-round drill ran once a week, whether rimfire or centerfire.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Sig pretty much has the 22lr pistol on lock right now. 20 and 25rnd magazines, Optics ready, threaded muzzle, and ambi controls for $400. I've only function shot mine into the woods so I can't vouch for accuracy, but the barrel is mounted to the frame and the trigger breaks at 3.5lbs. I expect it to be adequate at least if not pretty damn good. Next range visit will tell.
    I am hoping I shoot the p322 as well as my p365

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    The four of us (siblings and I) learned to shoot pistols with a early 1950s Ruger Standard. It is still my favorite .22 pistol.

Many folks would not like the lack of a slide stop or the lack of the lock open after the last round fired but It works for me.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I am hoping I shoot the p322 as well as my p365
    They're supposed to be analogous to each other for the same reasons Toddnjoyce was talking about. I really like how the p365, p322 and I assume the p320 trigger breaks in the center of the trigger gaurd at 90⁰ instead of all the back. It really seems to help me stay on target and to keep the gun from rotating in my hand.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    If you can find one, get a Ruger MKII. Everything after the II was designed by lawyers
    TRUE-TRUE, however with a flip-over of the mag-disconnect spring, or an add-on part this can be "fixed".

I came across this in my search...

That is the first thing I did on the Mark III's and on the Mark IV's too...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom