• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I swapped out the factory mounts on my new Gamo Raptor Whisper rifle a couple of days ago. Went to a solid machined aluminum mount with double the number of set screws and blue glued them in. Today I went out back to sight it in at 35 yards. First group of 4 shots were tight but high and to the left. The scope adjustments are not the best so it took me about 15 shots to get it into the center red. At that point, I tried to shoot 5 more for proof but I was no shaky from having cocked that thing so many times that my shots were all over the place; one would go dead center than the next 2-3 would dance all around. I don't believe I have ever cocked one of these more than 5-6 times at one session but I am telling you it wore me out.

If I could have afforded it, and if there was a decent air refill station nearby, I would have gone with PCP. The gun is accurate and quiet but if I don't hit the target with the first 5 shots, I might as well lay down and take a nap.

I hate getting old.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    gdr_11,

I know, I know...

If I listed all the 'no longer works right' stuff regarding my ancient carcass, I'd be posting into the 'wee hours'...

PS, I too have a break over pellet rifle that I 'can't' properly operate any longer...

Plus, every morning upon waking, I'm surprised I'm still above ground...of course one morning (maybe morning) the pain will be 'all gone'...

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I just never could warm up to break barrel guns but do have a couple lever cocked springers, but just don't care to shoot them.
    So I bit the bullet and got a PCP and a compressor.
    Now I have 3 PCPs and no regrets.
    Powerful, accurate, and not picky about what optic you mount on them.

It is also nice to pump one up, go to my backyard range with targets at 30, 50, and 85 yards, get off 75 to 100 shots and not break a sweat.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I just never could warm up to break barrel guns but do have a couple lever cocked springers, but just don't care to shoot them.

It is also nice to pump one up, go to my backyard range with targets at 30, 50, and 85 yards, get off 75 to 100 shots and not break a sweat.
    Sounds nice; I just could not justify the cost of a nice pcp and a compressor. There is no doubt pcp is the way to go. I wish I could swing a nice bullpup in .25.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Sounds nice; I just could not justify the cost of a nice pcp and a compressor. There is no doubt pcp is the way to go. I wish I could swing a nice bullpup in .25.
    I get that, but I shoot a lot! PCPs have allowed me to shoot almost daily without disturbing neighbors and the cost of the compressor was offset by not buying expensive conventional ammo.
    If you only shoot occasionally, then it probably is not worth it.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My bench rest PCP is running at 4500 psi, but is regulated.
    My .25 cal Airforce TalonP non regulated gun is rated at max 3000, but I only fill it to 2600 psi

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    I’ve got an old Beeman R7 I need to rebuild. It’s too much for my current backyard though. Been using a pump Crossman pistol to keep the rats at bay.

Just picked up a Diana R8 pistol to get better sites and a bit more umphfff. It’s a lot to cock without the cocking aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

I get that, but I shoot a lot! PCPs have allowed me to shoot almost daily without disturbing neighbors and the cost of the compressor was offset by not buying expensive conventional ammo.
    If you only shoot occasionally, then it probably is not worth

Could you give more specifics ?

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Could you give more specifics ?
    What kind of specifics?

Lets go with this.

My first PCP was an entry level Umarex Origin. I bought it because it was cheap and easily hand pumped. In fact it came with a pump.
    I put over 7000 pellets down range in less than a year when it developed a leak that I should have fixed myself, but it was under warranty so I sent it in and they sent me a new one that I have since put many more rounds through.

IMG_1865.JPG

My second was an Airforce Talon P. I bought it for pest control (raccoons in the chicken pen). Being a single shot I have not put near as many shots through it, but still probably 3000 rounds since I got it.

TalonPsmallimage.jpg

The hook was set by then and I have been fully addicted to PCP air rifles, so my most recent acquisition is my RTI Prophet performance.
    Last count I was around 12000 rounds through it.

Untitled-1.jpg

So now, calculate the cost of 22,000 rounds of 22lr, 9mm, and .223 in less than 2 1/2 years and also the amount of trigger time to refine my shooting skills and I feel that the advantage of a PCP is pretty clear.

BTW, while the Origin and Talon P can be filled with a hand pump, I did have to buy a compressor for the Prophet, so that was an additional $500, but there are both cheaper and more expensive options.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    What kind of specifics?

Lets go with this.

My first PCP was an entry level Umarex Origin. I bought it because it was cheap and easily hand pumped. In fact it came with a pump.
    I put over 7000 pellets down range in less than a year when it developed a leak that I should have fixed myself, but it was under warranty so I sent it in and they sent me a new one that I have since put many more rounds through.

View attachment 392584

My second was an Airforce Talon P. I bought it for pest control (raccoons in the chicken pen). Being a single shot I have not put near as many shots through it, but still probably 3000 rounds since I got it.

View attachment 392585

The hook was set by then and I have been fully addicted to PCP air rifles, so my most recent acquisition is my RTI Prophet performance.
    Last count I was around 12000 rounds through it.

View attachment 392598

So now, calculate the cost of 22,000 rounds of 22lr, 9mm, and .223 in less than 2 1/2 years and also the amount of trigger time to refine my shooting skills and I feel that the advantage of a PCP is pretty clear.

BTW, while the Origin and Talon P can be filled with a hand pump, I did have to buy a compressor for the Prophet, so that was an additional $500, but there are both cheaper and more expensive options.
    <>

Thanks for the details. We are on rural 3.5ac w/ lots of waterfront; and have problems with feral animal predation of native wildlife & birds.

I haven’t fired an aiirgun in over 60 years, but the newer ones, as you showed, seem pretty advanced.

leVieux

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    For your situation, I would take a hard look at the Airforce line of airguns.
    Mine has plenty of power for most small to medium predatory animals. It is single shot only, but I do my part and it is one shot kill.
    Very simple gun too. If it ever develops a leak. there are only 4 O rings in the gun and all are easily replaced. I have yet to have a leak on mine, but have a baggie with spare rings in the event that I ever do.

Airforce has other much more powerful options too, and other than the German made barrels, the guns are all made in Texas.
    BTW, mine in the picture I posted earlier has an aftermarket stock. The off the shelf guns are pretty bare bones. TalonP.jpg

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    If considering a PCP air rifle, take a very close look at the new rifles being brought in by JTS, of Katy, TX. I have their Airacuda Standard in .25 and it is accurate, powerful, well-thought-out and very well made by Xisico in China.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    If considering a PCP air rifle, take a very close look at the new rifles being brought in by JTS, of Katy, TX. I have their Airacuda Standard in .25 and it is accurate, powerful, well-thought-out and very well made by Xisico in China.
    I agree. They look to be a well thought out design at a very reasonable price.
    I considered on but while JTS is a Texas based company the Aircudas are made in China and I try not to send my dollars to them.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Damnit guys, don't yáll know I CAN'T afford another hobby. Hell, I can't afford me as it is with the hobbies I already have.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. (ggrrmmbblll ggrrmmmbl grrrrr)

Although I will say, some of it does look interesting. Expensive, but, interesting.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    If you only shoot occasionally, then it probably is not worth it.
    Sorry to pester you, but which compressor did you go with to g the presume shown on most of the pcp rifles? Thanks

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    It is a GX CS3 and I had the price wrong. It was $400
    I got it because it is portable and can be run off of a car battery.

I also have one of the Chinese water cooled Youn Heng compressors that I want use to compress dry nitrogen to 4500psi. If that works and I don't blow myself up doing it, I will try to post the details of the project here.

Top Bottom