• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    So I've been gone for a while but I am happy to say "I'm back".

One of the things I've been having a lot of fun with is converting .303 into .410 shots shells, but I've run into an issue: after 3-4 reloads the case has swelled so much that it is almost too tight to fit into the chamber and makes it very hard to cycle in my old bolt action shotgun.

Do you masters of the reloading word have any suggestions about resizing the brass shotgun shells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    For the most part it works great but like all metallic cases it has to be resized.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys reload brass shot shells and how do you resize them.

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    I looked at the magtech brass but these were (1) more fun to make (2) .303 brass is pretty easy to find & (3) I get to say I made them.

I have an old rcbs .223 die that I don't use anymore I wonder if that can be opened up enough to use... Hmmmm

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    I would think that .45 Colt would be the correct sizing die. I don't know if the decapper pin and nut can be removed for the .303 case to extend???

bob

I wonder if a .44 mag die would work?

Reason I ask is I already have a .44 mag kit but not one for .45 colt

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    .45 Cold should be the right size but depth may be an issue. .460 S&W Magnum is the same size but longer. Probably still not long enough though.

45-70 may work but is technically a .458 bullet, not .454. It is a long dies though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I looked at the magtech brass but these were (1) more fun to make (2) .303 brass is pretty easy to find & (3) I get to say I made them.

I have an old rcbs .223 die that I don't use anymore I wonder if that can be opened up enough to use... Hmmmm

You would have to drill the die out and polish the heck out of it. It could be done but may not be worth the hassle.

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    I would take it to a machine shop that makes a lot of gun parts. I like doing stuff on my own but at the same time I understand sometimes it's best to let the pros handle things.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The bullet is .429 but is the shell casing sizing die the correct dia. I need to see if I can find a SAMI Printout for .410 and compare them.

The 410 handguns also chamber 45 Colt rounds that use a .454 diameter bullet. The .44 Magnum only uses a .429 bullet.

What I am saying is the 45 Colt is actually bigger than .45 plus the case (which is the size you need). The 44 Magnum is way under .44 caliber.

I think you will ruin your brass trying to run it through a 44 Magnum die, if it will even start in the die to begin with.

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    Ya know it really really sucks when Google is broken. I'll help ya out.

http://bfy.tw/3fkv

Thank you for that:

I have done several google searches my question wasn't if someone could google it for me it was what do y'all use? What works best for you in your experience. Customer reviews in the website (that are set up for you to spend your money at) are most often going to give good reviews.

I posted looking for neutral 3rd party input.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I fished around in "Cartridges Of The World" and gave it a look. For my 2 cents, the .303 British is not a good candidate for conversion to .410 shotgun shell cases. First, the primers are not correct. Shot shell loads are very specific about primers to use. Shot shell reloading uses "recipes" that combine case, primer, wads, powder charge, shot charge and crimp. Years ago, we used to push anything that would fit into a shot shell case and call it "good." It has become a lot more complex and technical.

Second, the .303 case is heavily tapered and that just isn't a good match for a straight sided case for the .410.

I'd suggest that you invest in some commercial .410 brass, instead. I reload 3" .410 rounds on a MEC 600 junior and can assure you that it's a fussy little round to load.

Here are some ready to roll .410 cases in 2 1/2" length.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151679/magtech-shotshell-hulls-410-bore-2-1-2-brass-box-of-25

Flash

Last edited:

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    I fished around in "Cartridges Of The World" and gave it a look. For my 2 cents, the .303 British is not a good candidate for conversion to .410 shotgun shell cases. First, the primers are not correct. Shot shell loads are very specific about primers to use. Shot shell reloading uses "recipes" that combine case, primer, wads, powder charge, shot charge and crimp. Years ago, we used to push anything that would fit into a shot shell case and call it "good." It has become a lot more complex and technical.

Second, the .303 case is heavily tapered and that just isn't a good match for a straight sided case for the .410.

I'd suggest that you invest in some commercial .410 brass, instead. I reload 3" .410 rounds on a MEC 600 junior and can assure you that it's a fussy little round to load.

Here are some ready to roll .410 cases in 2 1/2" length.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151679/magtech-shotshell-hulls-410-bore-2-1-2-brass-box-of-25

Flash

Primers: I find that large rifle/pistol primers both fit and both ignite the pistol powder

The tamper is easily removed by annealing the brass then opening the the case up with a light charge of Power Pistol some white rice a large pistol primer and some white glue

I have found published load data for brass loads using Powder Pistol, large pistol primer, 1/2 oz of shot. So far other than the brass needing to be resized I have seen no signs of pressure.

I understand the capitalist draw of just buying brass but I like the feeling of making things and it's even better when I'm told I can't. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452563593.942334.jpg

Thanks for your input and opinion that's what I like is place is we can discuss and exchange ideas.

Top Bottom