Bolt Action in 7.62x39: Howa 1500 or Ruger American… your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I’m shopping for a bolt action in 7.62x39 (sold my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 a while back… just wasn’t a fan of that one)

I’m down to either a Howa 1500 or Ruger American (Ranch or Gen II)

- I won’t be hunting with it (unless SHTF) but will be shooting some paper targets and steel occasionally… you might call it just a plinking rifle
    - Both come with adjustable triggers so I can get them to about 3.0 lbs
    - Both can be had for about the same price
    - Extra mags are about the same price too

I bought a Ruger American Gen II in 5.56/.223 about 10 months ago and really enjoy shooting it… but I read good things about the Howa 1500

Anyone have a thought to share?

Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have a Ruger American in x39 because it was in stock at Academy. It's a pretty decent shooter. Took a few different ammos and it liked most of them. It really likes Monarch from Academy. Those are 100yard groups.

Only thing I don't care for is, you have to apply upward pressure on the mag or it has trouble chambering a round.
    20221011_175744.jpg

20221010_173752.jpg

Last edited:

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I have a Ruger American in x39 because it was in stock at Academy. It's a pretty decent shooter. Took a few different ammos and it liked most of them. It really likes Monarch from Academy. Those are 100yard groups.

Only thing I don't care for is, you have to apply upward pressure on the mag or it has trouble chambering a round. View attachment 476193
    View attachment 476194
    Good shootin’!

Yep… the mag thing would bother me… maybe Ruger would send you a new mag if you called and let them know

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Not the most accurate round for targets, but if you already have them...I get it.

You know the Ruger, so I might stick with that brand, but Howa has good reputation, too. I'll just sit here on the fence. :)
    Yep… I just want a bolt action to go with the couple of semi-autos in that same caliber. Makes the range trips more fun.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    When to 4 LGSs today… no luck

I didn’t expect to find one (Howa nor Ruger in 7.62x39)… but I gave it a shot

Now have to pick one and search online for best price

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    When to 4 LGSs today… no luck

I didn’t expect to find one (Howa nor Ruger in 7.62x39)… but I gave it a shot

Now have to pick one and search online for best price

If the shop is private owned they should be able to order you one from one of their vendors & have it in 3-5 days with no transfer fee or shipping.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    If the shop is private owned they should be able to order you one from one of their vendors & have it in 3-5 days with no transfer fee or shipping.
    Yep.. I have them do that frequently

But I still shop online first to get a feel for pricing... so I know what bargaining power I have on price

I give a lot a business to several of my LGSs (I buy sell and trade frequently) and understand they must make some $$ on the deal... and I want them to stay in business!

But I need to be an informed buyer.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Brownells sells 1500 barreled action in the 7.62x39. pick your stock and good to go.
    Yep..

They (Brownells), as an Iowa company and just 1.5 hrs from me, are one of my go-tos....I always look there.

They often have coupons available to make gun deals and parts quite attractive

Often I can get a complete rifle for less than the two components (stock and barreled action)... depends upon if I like the stock on the completed rifles

If you ever drive by Grinnell Iowa on I-80... it's worth a stop to see the large selection in there retail store... LOTS of selection!

Spend your money in Iowa!

Top Bottom