Bolt Action in 7.62x39: Howa 1500 or Ruger American… your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I’m shopping for a bolt action in 7.62x39 (sold my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 a while back… just wasn’t a fan of that one)

I’m down to either a Howa 1500 or Ruger American (Ranch or Gen II)

- I won’t be hunting with it (unless SHTF) but will be shooting some paper targets and steel occasionally… you might call it just a plinking rifle
    - Both come with adjustable triggers so I can get them to about 3.0 lbs
    - Both can be had for about the same price
    - Extra mags are about the same price too

I bought a Ruger American Gen II in 5.56/.223 about 10 months ago and really enjoy shooting it… but I read good things about the Howa 1500

Anyone have a thought to share?

Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have a Ruger American in x39 because it was in stock at Academy. It's a pretty decent shooter. Took a few different ammos and it liked most of them. It really likes Monarch from Academy. Those are 100yard groups.

Only thing I don't care for is, you have to apply upward pressure on the mag or it has trouble chambering a round.
    20221011_175744.jpg

20221010_173752.jpg

Last edited:

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I have a Ruger American in x39 because it was in stock at Academy. It's a pretty decent shooter. Took a few different ammos and it liked most of them. It really likes Monarch from Academy. Those are 100yard groups.

Only thing I don't care for is, you have to apply upward pressure on the mag or it has trouble chambering a round. View attachment 476193
    View attachment 476194
    Good shootin’!

Yep… the mag thing would bother me… maybe Ruger would send you a new mag if you called and let them know

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Not the most accurate round for targets, but if you already have them...I get it.

You know the Ruger, so I might stick with that brand, but Howa has good reputation, too. I'll just sit here on the fence. :)

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Not the most accurate round for targets, but if you already have them...I get it.

You know the Ruger, so I might stick with that brand, but Howa has good reputation, too. I'll just sit here on the fence. :)
    Yep… I just want a bolt action to go with the couple of semi-autos in that same caliber. Makes the range trips more fun.

Top Bottom