• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So with all this talk of body armor what are y'all doing to protect you heads & groins? Years ago I was doing some hefty bank drops by myself, so I bought a soft vest. I wore it about 8 times for les then 2 hours per. It sucked IMHO. Still have it it & 2 carriers. They have some anti taser shit in the carriers.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    So with all this talk of body armor what are y'all doing to protect you heads & groins? Years ago I was doing some hefty bank drops by myself, so I bought a soft vest. I wore it about 8 times for les then 2 hours per. It sucked IMHO. Still have it it & 2 carriers. They have some anti taser shit in the carriers.
    I have a milsurp groin protector.

You also have to realize you cannot protect from every threat and lack of mobility will get you killed as fast as anything else. I.e. dont get hung up on deltoid/groin/etc protection. It's nice to have at times, but it will slow you down and wear you out faster...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Ive got a helmet but no groin protector.
    Hopefully my lower body would be behind some type of cover...or ill be moving for new cover. I guess then i gotta worry about being shot in the ass.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A buddy gave me an old PASGT Helmet when I first got night vision. It had the old ratchet strap shroud on it so I figured why not take it. I remember the next morning after wearing for 4-5 hours. My neck, shoulders & upper back killed me. Way hotter & heavier then I liked. I upgraded the suspension with a rather expensive upgrade. Next trip out was only slightly better.

I ended up with a Team Wendy Carbon Exfil helmet.(yeah I know they are as evil as Benchmade) Not sure I would want to run around with plates & a helmet. Depending on what gun I have it & ammo is chore enough if on foot. I have a real nice London Bridge Trading vest I would wear when we went out on foot hunting hogs @ night. My hats off to the GI's toting around a full load out.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I'm curious about these AR500 plates, are they covered in a spawl liner?
    Paxcon is the trade name, XS-350 is the name of the in house blend recipe. Same product we sprayed on the interior of all of the exterior walls of the Pentagon for blast mitigation.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    You can make your own steel reinforced plates in whatever shape, thickness or configuration you want. They are intermittent layers of Kevlar fabric and plate steel bonded with urethane glue and then encapsulated with the outer layer of polyurethane as final stop for fragmentation and of course aesthetics.

ETA: The boding is only the outer edges of each layer, not the entire surface of each layer so it has flexibility when absorbing rounds/shock.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    PASGT:

main-qimg-d6f9f5c58294f55b8b5ae9c222641b40.jpg

ACH:

main-qimg-3ac9278f10bffb1cf2305ca71514ac83.jpg

PASGT helmets were effective but extremely uncomfortable. Wear one for anything more than a half an hour and you'll find yourself constantly trying to adjust it. They also had a bad tendency to slide forward when you leaned over, especially when wearing body armor. Some individuals got rashes from the leather helmet band. The chin straps also had a reputation for coming unbuttoned...

The ACH pad system and clipped adjustable chin strap work much better. About the only downside is that the pads will absorb sweat after a while and will get nasty, but they are washable! The one above has the improved brow pad.

Attachments

• main-qimg-d6f9f5c58294f55b8b5ae9c222641b40.jpg
      main-qimg-d6f9f5c58294f55b8b5ae9c222641b40.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 837
    • main-qimg-3ac9278f10bffb1cf2305ca71514ac83.jpg
      main-qimg-3ac9278f10bffb1cf2305ca71514ac83.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 803

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    PASGT:

View attachment 210747

ACH:

View attachment 210748

PASGT helmets were effective but extremely uncomfortable. Wear one for anything more than a half an hour and you'll find yourself constantly trying to adjust it. They also had a bad tendency to slide forward when you leaned over, especially when wearing body armor. Some individuals got rashes from the leather helmet band. The chin straps also had a reputation for coming unbuttoned...

The ACH pad system and clipped adjustable chin strap work much better. About the only downside is that the pads will absorb sweat after a while and will get nasty, but they are washable! The one above has the improved brow pad.
    The upgraded suspension systen I bought is pretty much all those pads seen in a ACH. The helmet is still heavy & hot to wear for my needs. It's just something else I need to sell.

Old_Sarge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    South TX

Attachments

• Battle_Steel_Level_IV_.png
      Battle_Steel_Level_IV_.png
      160.9 KB · Views: 880
    Top Bottom