• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Shooting buddy had one of the 30Carbine Ruger revolvers.
    Way back then .30Carbine USGI ammo was available for cheap. He shot it quite a bit.
    It’s very loud. Lots of muzzle blast. Accuracy was okay. TBH it got tiresome after a few rounds. My old .357mag hit harder.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I just inherited a Blackhawk 30 Carbine from my dad. I did not even know he had it. Seems he bought it new many years ago and stuck it in his closet. Never fored it and it still has the yellow disk between the cylinder and frame. I have not fired it yet, but from what I read they are fun.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I have an Old Model. Picked up two, New Models (consecutive serial #’s) and gave them to my sons for Christmas several years ago. All 7.5”s. That’s the only barrel length Ruger offered in the 30 carbine.

You are welcome to shoot mine anytime you’re up this way. They are a hoot, throw a big fireball, and require earplugs and earmuffs.

Yeah you ain’t joking about the fireball.

Mine looked like it jetted a flame about 14” in length outta the muzzle when I touched it off.

It was cool as anything when I shot it at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scattergun6

Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I've owned a couple of .30 Carbine Blackhawks. I had the first one drilled and tapped and put a scope on it. It was great fun to shoot but kind unwieldy...the second one I left untouched and did a lot of reloading for...they are, as everyone has stated here, very loud and fiery. Really gets the attention of folks shooting next to you! I let both Blackhawks go for some reason or another, sold or traded away. Seems like there is always someone who wants one of my guns more than I do at the time.... though I wish I had kept one of 'em.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Was visiting with my grandparents yesterday. My granddad wants a new carry gun, so I've been showing him guns and trying to help give guidance on modern guns. He's a revolver guy thru and thru but has decided (on his own) he wants a higher capacity semi auto to keep handy, as he's concerned about multiple attackers. After showing him some of my pistols and trying to setup a time to take him to the range to rent some other guns to try - he showed me some of his collection. There were some interesting pieces for sure - the most interesting to me was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Factory gun, not a conversion. Beautiful blued finish with FAT walnut grips. Definitely more of a target grip feel, than a working gun feel. He had a stainless Blackhawk in .357 Mag for the working-gun needs, and one of his primary defensive pistols is an Astra Cadix 6 inch .38spl five shot.

That Astra was neat, I'd never seen an Astra revolver in person before. Sweet trigger.

The .30 Carbine Blackhawk though was the most interesting handgun though, its heavy enough of a gun that it has to be an absolute pup to shoot, and the .30 Carbine is probably scooting out the barrel (IIRC it was 7 or 8 inches - it was on the long side) with some pep to it.

Anyone here have first hand experience with a Blackhawk in that caliber? When we go to the range, I'm going to see if I can't get him to bring that one to try out. Should be a hoot.
    I fired one then went with the Super BH 44 mag, the carbine is EFFIN LOUD and presents a nice muzzle flame for onlookers...but both the 357 and 44 are superior shooters.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anyone here have first hand experience with a Blackhawk in that caliber?
    Yes, but not as much as many of those who have already replied.

I'll keep it to just one comment, then.

Make sure you wear muffs AND plugs. I have a 9-inch .30-30 that's definitely more thump-you-in-the-chest loud but those carbine Blackhawks are, for some reason, worse. They seem to have a "crack" to the report that I theorize is coming from the cylinder gap. No matter what causes it, the quality of the report is like a knife in the ears. It's not just a boom; you'll know what I mean as soon as you fire it.

Dman62

Jan 9, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    I have a friend with one. Like others have said, it's LOUD! Don't use steel case ammo in it. His at least needed the cylinder to be taken out and the cases to be knocked out with a hammer and punch. Brass ammo shoot just fine.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Yes, but not as much as many of those who have already replied.

I'll keep it to just one comment, then.

Make sure you wear muffs AND plugs. I have a 9-inch .30-30 that's definitely more thump-you-in-the-chest loud but those carbine Blackhawks are, for some reason, worse. They seem to have a "crack" to the report that I theorize is coming from the cylinder gap. No matter what causes it, the quality of the report is like a knife in the ears. It's not just a boom; you'll know what I mean as soon as you fire it.
    You said it best. I fired one ONCE without hearing protection out in the woods. I literally couldn't hear anything for over an hour... felt like someone drove 16 penny nails into my ears.... stupid.

Those are still the loudest handguns I've ever fired...... close second would be the CZ 52 in the 7.62 bottlenecked round. Plus, they FLING the brass... we're talking 20-25 feet away....

Top Bottom