• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Was visiting with my grandparents yesterday. My granddad wants a new carry gun, so I've been showing him guns and trying to help give guidance on modern guns. He's a revolver guy thru and thru but has decided (on his own) he wants a higher capacity semi auto to keep handy, as he's concerned about multiple attackers. After showing him some of my pistols and trying to setup a time to take him to the range to rent some other guns to try - he showed me some of his collection. There were some interesting pieces for sure - the most interesting to me was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Factory gun, not a conversion. Beautiful blued finish with FAT walnut grips. Definitely more of a target grip feel, than a working gun feel. He had a stainless Blackhawk in .357 Mag for the working-gun needs, and one of his primary defensive pistols is an Astra Cadix 6 inch .38spl five shot.

That Astra was neat, I'd never seen an Astra revolver in person before. Sweet trigger.

The .30 Carbine Blackhawk though was the most interesting handgun though, its heavy enough of a gun that it has to be an absolute pup to shoot, and the .30 Carbine is probably scooting out the barrel (IIRC it was 7 or 8 inches - it was on the long side) with some pep to it.

Anyone here have first hand experience with a Blackhawk in that caliber? When we go to the range, I'm going to see if I can't get him to bring that one to try out. Should be a hoot.
    Gun Zone Deals

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah. It’s neat. I got to shoot one a long while ago. I don’t really have a desire to own one though.

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yeah. It’s neat. I got to shoot one a long while ago. I don’t really have a desire to own one though.

I wouldn't run out to buy one right yet - cowboy guns are not really my mug of coffee (cups of tea are for women and the British :roflfunny:) - but it was an interesting piece, and I certainly wouldn't mind playing with one. I just looked up some YouTube vids - looks like they're loud as hell. Should be fun times at the indoor range! :what: I might have to download a decibel reader app on my phone and see which is louder, the .30 carbine blackhawk, or my 10.5 inch AR.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I took my first handgun whitetail buck with my .30 carbine Blackhawk. I used to handload for it back in the ‘80’s when I had it.

Made a dandy head shot with it at about 35-40 yards.

They can be very accurate, and loud as all get out. Shooting side by side with my friend one afternoon was fun. He was shooting a 4” S&W 29 .44 mag.

He told me to get further away from him because the sound from that .30 carbine round was hurting his ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I wouldn't run out to buy one right yet - cowboy guns are not really my mug of coffee (cups of tea are for women and the British :roflfunny:) - but it was an interesting piece, and I certainly wouldn't mind playing with one. I just looked up some YouTube vids - looks like they're loud as hell. Should be fun times at the indoor range! :what: I might have to download a decibel reader app on my phone and see which is louder, the .30 carbine blackhawk, or my 10.5 inch AR.
    It’s definitely cool I just don’t wanna come across wrong. It’s his money and if he’s happy he’s happy.

It’s just not something for me. It’s like a revolver in 10mm. Just not into it.

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It’s definitely cool I just don’t wanna come across wrong. It’s his money and if he’s happy he’s happy.

It’s just not something for me. It’s like a revolver in 10mm. Just not into it.

Yeah, grand dad is an old coot and all his guns were aquired in the 1950's thru 70's - nothing in his collection I saw was what you could call "modern" or even close to it. The only "plastic" gun he has was a neat Remington Model 700 .223 bolt action pistol - think Thompson Contender - with a scout / pistol scope. He used to shoot bullseye / silhoettes, and hunt with it. He also had a .223 single shot rifle that is as compact as you can get without being an SBR. Said it was his deer gun when he'd hunt from a blind.

Right now he's really thrilled with the ergonomics and weight of my M&P 9, and the ease of picking up the red dot sight on it. We'll see how he does actually shooting it next week. A LEO friend from church told him to try a P365. He's also liking how I have my Walther setup, with the MRDS and the light. We've got a list of about half a dozen or so guns he wants to try right now before he decides what to get.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah, grand dad is an old coot and all his guns were aquired in the 1950's thru 70's - nothing in his collection I saw was what you could call "modern" or even close to it. The only "plastic" gun he has was a neat Remington Model 700 .223 bolt action pistol - think Thompson Contender - with a scout / pistol scope. He used to shoot bullseye / silhoettes, and hunt with it. He also had a .223 single shot rifle that is as compact as you can get without being an SBR. Said it was his deer gun when he'd hunt from a blind.

Right now he's really thrilled with the ergonomics and weight of my M&P 9, and the ease of picking up the red dot sight on it. We'll see how he does actually shooting it next week. A LEO friend from church told him to try a P365. He's also liking how I have my Walther setup, with the MRDS and the light. We've got a list of about half a dozen or so guns he wants to try right now before he decides what to get.
    Information overload for him I’m sure.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have an Old Model. Picked up two, New Models (consecutive serial #’s) and gave them to my sons for Christmas several years ago. All 7.5”s. That’s the only barrel length Ruger offered in the 30 carbine.

You are welcome to shoot mine anytime you’re up this way. They are a hoot, throw a big fireball, and require earplugs and earmuffs.

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Information overload for him I’m sure.

Turning out that way - he originally told me he wants "something with good capacity" with a safety (he is in his 80s and this might not be a bad idea, he's spry as hell, but he's used to shooting single action cowboy guns and double action revolvers so his trigger discipline isn't necessarily where most of us would like it) - I was steering him to the M&P Shield EZ, but then he saw my red dot, and really loves that. They don't have an optic ready EZ, but they do have models with high-viz sights. Going to have him try a Shield, the Sig, and maybe a double action pistol of some sort too.

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    That remington blends this one with the stainless hardware:

R.jpg

and this one with the larger grip with the flare at the bottom

9603385_02_remington_xp_100_640.jpg

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Was visiting with my grandparents yesterday. My granddad wants a new carry gun, so I've been showing him guns and trying to help give guidance on modern guns. He's a revolver guy thru and thru but has decided (on his own) he wants a higher capacity semi auto to keep handy, as he's concerned about multiple attackers. After showing him some of my pistols and trying to setup a time to take him to the range to rent some other guns to try - he showed me some of his collection. There were some interesting pieces for sure - the most interesting to me was a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Factory gun, not a conversion. Beautiful blued finish with FAT walnut grips. Definitely more of a target grip feel, than a working gun feel. He had a stainless Blackhawk in .357 Mag for the working-gun needs, and one of his primary defensive pistols is an Astra Cadix 6 inch .38spl five shot.

That Astra was neat, I'd never seen an Astra revolver in person before. Sweet trigger.

The .30 Carbine Blackhawk though was the most interesting handgun though, its heavy enough of a gun that it has to be an absolute pup to shoot, and the .30 Carbine is probably scooting out the barrel (IIRC it was 7 or 8 inches - it was on the long side) with some pep to it.

Anyone here have first hand experience with a Blackhawk in that caliber? When we go to the range, I'm going to see if I can't get him to bring that one to try out. Should be a hoot.
    Hey S,

They are LOUD...so if you are under roof (or on an indoor range?) you want to wear plugs & muffs.

Also, due to the high pressure side blast, be mindful of your grip/finger placement.

They are a joy to shoot, and pretty dang accurate! (coyote at 50yds accurate)...

Later, Mark

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey S,

If Gramps is a Revolver Guy?

Do you have a full size M&P (9mm plastic gun) to hand?

I have shot several, and the grip (can change back strap in a New York minute)..trigger reach and pull is very similar to a DA revolver, and are EASY to hit with.

I have a hard time hitting with a Shield...The M&P is very user friendly....and being a "full size" (4"?) the recoil is low...not sure if they are making an optic ready slide, as yet??

Do know they make a fiber optic front sight for them....

Hope this helps...

Later, Mark

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Sasquatch, that is an XP 100. If I remember correctly, they are the Remington Mohawk action built on a pistol platform. Many were chambered in 221 fireball.

Interesting. His is def .223 Rem - he did tell me that he had the gun customized for him - could've been rebarrelled. He liked the .223 as a low recoiling deer cartridge. Might've also been cheaper to shoot than .221 fireball?

Hey S,

If Gramps is a Revolver Guy?

Do you have a full size M&P (9mm plastic gun) to hand?

I have shot several, and the grip (can change back strap in a New York minute)..trigger reach and pull is very similar to a DA revolver, and are EASY to hit with.

I have a hard time hitting with a Shield...The M&P is very user friendly....and being a "full size" (4"?) the recoil is low...not sure if they are making an optic ready slide, as yet??

Do know they make a fiber optic front sight for them....

Hope this helps...

Later, Mark

Yes, I mentioned that he kind of fell in love with my M&P. I have a gen 1 full size that I chopped the grip to accept Compact magazines, and had a red dot sight installed on it. He really liked the ergonomics of that gun, and the red dot sight.

I had him handling my wife's Shield 2.0 (standard, not Plus variety) along with my M&P, and my Walther PDP - of the three he liked the M&P best, followed by the PDP, then the Shield. When I pointed out to him the larger guns typically are easier to shoot, and have less stiff recoil springs he took note. I showed him the 'easy' way to operate the slide by racking off of the optic, as opposed to trying to grip the slide and it made it far easier for him.

I think an M&P 2.0 with the optic plate and safety would be up his alley, but we'll see when it comes time to send lead down range.

Lol sas, get him a korth.

He'd balk at the cost, but he could afford it... the notion of a Smith & Wesson performance center 7 or 8 shot .357 did cross my mind, but they're real hard to come by and pricey. Would be the super familiar manual of arms to him, and gain +3 capacity over his Astra, and +2 over his Blackhawk .357.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    They made the XP 100 in various chambering, including .223. .221 Fireball was the cartridge it was designed around.

I was “into” them back in the ‘80’s. Then switched over to the Contender. Still have some of those.

Top Bottom