• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    IIRC, Black Talons were the top of the line back in the day, but were removed from the market due to their name being somewhat too...aggressive. Also, the anti-gunners managed to spread the lie that the round opens up and tears through flesh like a buzz saw, or words to that effect.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    IIRC, Black Talons were the top of the line back in the day, but were removed from the market due to their name being somewhat too...aggressive. Also, the anti-gunners managed to spread the lie that the round opens up and tears through flesh like a buzz saw, or words to that effect.

Found these today while viewing another of his videos.

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)

I remember the bashing campaign, I was living in Florida and they were classified as "Cop Killers", used by the Colombian and drug dealers in the street of South Florida.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just make sure none of them have setback from being chambered multiple times over the years.

This. A friend of mine had a bunch of them, and they were set waaaaaayyyyyy back. Pulled a few to recycle, and wound up just giving him half a box of HST.

FWIW, the Talons weren't all that; they just got a bunch of media hype for absolutely no reason other than their mean-sounding name and scary appearance. There are bullets out today that meet or exceed their performance. Unless you're an ammo collector, they're basically range ammo, IMO.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    They look interesting. They remind me of what we used to do with .22's as a kid. We'd cut an "X" in the top of the lead bullet with a razor blade, and it would open up similar to that. Made quite a difference in squirrel hunting.

Look at their gel images. More expansion means more frontal area, which means more drag, which means less penetration. Their performance in gelatin is very unimpressive.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Look at their gel images. More expansion means more frontal area, which means more drag, which means less penetration. Their performance in gelatin is very unimpressive.

Less penetration but a more serious open wound, not to mention stopping power. You still wouldn't want to get shot with one of these, regardless.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

it wasn't a lie. When a Black Talon enters the body, it speeds up and every couple inches it changes direction and keeps going until it has devastatingly destroyed every major organ in the body, but not before entering the brain and turning it into white jello. Truth.

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    it wasn't a lie. When a Black Talon enters the body, it speeds up and every couple inches it changes direction and keeps going until it has devastatingly destroyed every major organ in the body, but not before entering the brain and turning it into white jello. Truth.

Must be, I read it on the internet. But I think it severs all major arteries before it goes to the brain.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Less penetration but a more serious open wound, not to mention stopping power. You still wouldn't want to get shot with one of these, regardless.

Stopping power had become a catch phrase for marketing, much like "knockdown power". Both are misleading. Expansion is good but meaningless without adequate penetration. Adequate penetration is always good even with out expansion, but if you can have both it's more better.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

You left out the most important part, it does all that after defeating level iv body armor.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Stopping power had become a catch phrase for marketing, much like "knockdown power". Both are misleading. Expansion is good but meaningless without adequate penetration. Adequate penetration is always good even with out expansion, but if you can have both it's more better.

If they marketed a round that, once fired, expanded in midair and hit the target exactly like a reinforced brick wall at 60mph without penetrating, I'd buy it. THAT is stopping power. It's also a slight violation of several laws of physics...

Otherwise, yeah, I'm gonna look for penetration and punch in the same round, and I'm gonna use several of them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If they marketed a round that, once fired, expanded in midair and hit the target exactly like a reinforced brick wall at 60mph without penetrating, I'd buy it. THAT is stopping power. It's also a slight violation of several laws of physics...

Otherwise, yeah, I'm gonna look for penetration and punch in the same round, and I'm gonna use several of them.

Rocket powered bullets? Solves the recoil problem.

Top Bottom