APOD Firearms

Better off to carry with none in the chamber than not at all?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah but if they started a new thread about carry condition you'd have pointed out there was already a thread on that :laughing:

IMO it's preferable to contribute to an old thread than start a new one.

Yes, I prefer contributing to existing threads as well.

As far as the rest, refer to post #123.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Some that carry appendix are reluctant to carry chambered. Understandable. However, statistically speaking, we have a nanosecond to react and draw. There have been incidents where the firearm could not be racked in time or effectively and it turned out badly for the defender.

And many times the defender shot themselves. Or never even predicted the trigger.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Since the OP, I've had some time to think about this.....

While chamber-loaded carry is the best option, chamber-empty carry may not be as detrimental as first thought. If a perp is close enough that racking a slide makes that much difference, then the perp may be too close for you to draw period. That's when you go for his weapon instead of yours. Also, chamber-empty carry can help foil a gun grab if you're in a situation where it could be likely....like around prisoners or the mentally ill. Then again, most carriers shouldn't be in those situations in the first place....

Again, I'm not advocating chamber-empty carry....just putting it in context....

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    These were some of my concerns as well. My advice was "carry however you will but you have to train for it".

I suppose this can be a start then perhaps said individual can move on to better carry techniques as they get more familiar and confident with carrying.

My main concern is that a person carrying a gun with nothing in the chamber, is counting on having time, distance, both hands and on and on. I am also more concerned about a gun grab if no round is chambered.

So that puts them at a disadvantage in many situations.

Not having a gun puts them at a disadvantage in all situations.
    <>

In my decades of OC & CC I have avoided actual violence by just firmly stating that I was armed.

Of course, if an attacker decides to try to “call that bluff”, I’d certainly want to have a round chambered.

I’ve never actually had to “draw” & fire for a Human attacker.

<>

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Once could always carry like the National Guardsmen in the airports right after 9/11, no round in the M16 and no magazine in the rifle. They could have at least had a bayonet....so they wouldn't have to just beat the bad guys with their rifle. But the sheep were probably pretty impressed with those scary looking M-16A2's.

I talked to a friend in the Guard and asked why they didn't have M9 Beretta Pistols, which would have made a better weapon for guarding an airport. He said because Army doctrine was that typically only officers and senior NCO's carried pistols.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I know it's an old thread but I appreciate reading the ideas on this. I carry chambered for the sole reason that IF I'm going to join a situation, I won't want the sound of racking announcing my entry; giving me more time for a quiet lethal shot.

Damn straight. I like the way you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

In my decades of OC & CC I have avoided actual violence by just firmly stating that I was armed.

Of course, if an attacker decides to try to “call that bluff”, I’d certainly want to have a round chambered.

I’ve never actually had to “draw” & fire for a Human attacker.

<>
    SO YOU GIVE AWAY ANY TACTICAL ADVANTAGE OF SURPRISE BY INFORMING A BAD GUYTHAT YOU ARE ARMED

Attachments

• why-wont-stupid-memes.jpg
      why-wont-stupid-memes.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 26
    Top Bottom