• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you carry a primary & a back-up handgun, which do you think is the best choice:

• 1. The same exact make & model of pistol or revolver as my primary.

• 2. Same make using same mags as primary but a different model with the same controls as primary.

• 3. Any make that accepts the same loading devices as my primary but has different controls.

• 4. Any type of handgun other than my primary carry.

• 5. Both the same general type - semiauto/semiauto or revolver/revolver but different controls..

• 6. I carry more than one back-up, one using same loading devices/controls as primary & one maybenot.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am failing to see “sharp ass fixed blade” in your back up categories.

As any deadly force encounter you experience will most likely be at 6 feet or less from the threat, it would be faster to clear a knife if your gun fails than it would be to try for the “New York reload”
    Military Camp

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    None of the above would make no sense in this poll. I am asking which of the given choices do you think is the best choice - not asking if you carry that way, if you think they all suck, or whatever - just which of the given choices do you think is best as compared to the others.
    None I have no desire to carry a backup gun. Reason I replied None of the above.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not sure why it would need to be the same caliber, they're both loaded.

For one, if something happens to the primary, then you will have extra ammo for the back up!

For example, if one were carrying a Springfield XDM-45, then a XDs-45 would make for a smart BUG.

Carrying a smaller caliber back up gun doesn't make sense to me, but I subscribe to the old mantra of never shooting a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet!

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX

Speaking of backup guns, this is what Cullen Baker had on him when he died

df40d888cb89d38105f40d7c84e1730c.jpg

1 Shotgun, 4 revolvers, 3 derringers and 5 or 6 pocket knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• df40d888cb89d38105f40d7c84e1730c.jpg
      df40d888cb89d38105f40d7c84e1730c.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 573

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    So you were clear you are not interested in what anyone does but their opinion on choices you formulated. I don't do any of those things and have opinion on your contrived options. Not trying to be rude but it's just a very odd question to ask and I don't comprehend how there would be any value to the response.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Colt 1911 Officer's model with laser grips!
    e&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.crimsontrace.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fl%2fg%2flg-404_ghosted_web_6.jpg

I've had one for many years (45ACP, of course!) and it shoots very accurately.

If one was carrying two guns, two of the above with 7 rd. (or even 8 rd.) mags with one in the chambers would work great! You'd have 16 rds. +/- depending on how you configured it, utilizing small guns shooting 45 ACP!

Attachments

• e&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.crimsontrace.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fl%2fg%2flg-404_ghosted_web_6.jpg
      e&f=http%3a%2f%2fwww.crimsontrace.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fl%2fg%2flg-404_ghosted_web_6.jpg
      18.4 KB · Views: 302
    Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    EDC - Canik TP9SF Elite with an extra magazine, and 2" pocket knife.
    Backup Boot Gun - Taurus 605 loaded with (5) powder coated 200 gr .38 special rounds (heaven forbid I ever have to use them... they are devastating in the gel block).

Top Bottom