• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    View attachment 163317 There was a TON of section 8 housing. You know 20 story tall red brick apartment buildings. They would be built in plots of 4 to 8 buildings and you could tell 5 thousand people lived in each one. I'll let you guess the demographics yourselves :D

NYC is a lot cleaner than I had expected and it did not smell like I had expected. It's an interesting place and I do not mind visiting. I got to see the 9/11 memorial, the NY federal reserve bank, and wall street. Those would be the main things I'm interested in checking out as a tourist. I only ate out twice.

I plan on going again for another weekend. I've got several friends that live up there behind enemy lines and as much as I hate liberal meccas I love them more.

EDIT here is a picture, I wish I had zoomed in more the white plaque in front of it is a dedication to some politician.

Next time you go try Carmine's Italian. Great food.

The one thing I will never forget about NYC is that they charge you for each refill. I let my kid have all the Dr Pepper he wanted since it was vacation, and our bill included $45 in DPs. Could not believe it.
    ARJ Defense ad

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    The people were moistly rude Does that mean they pee on you?
    My first trip to NYC, 62. Went to see the Rockeetes, after the show, street was lined with LEO, bomb scare. Flight out was delayed die to bomb threat, board, un-board, get your luggage and security checks every bag, re-board, un-board, etc. Wasn't too bad walking around by yourself then. No way now.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I had to make a trip to New York City this weekend. I had a pretty good time, but I even told my buddies there I felt NAKED without a gun (or even a pocket knife thanks TSA.) A few observations.

1) New York City is not like the rest of the US. There are businesses and cultural phenomenon that would not exist anywhere else in the United States

2) almost NO ONE in New York City is fat. They're all walking 10 + miles a day

3) People are generally friendlier than what is said. As long as someone isn't trying to get somewhere you can stop and talk to them

4) The cost of things isn't as high as I expected. The real price difference is Rent. My buddy pays 3k a month for an apartment in manhattan literally smaller than my bedroom.

5) Within 5 hours of landing I had met an MS13 gang member, in a bar. I checked out some gun shops the next day. (no pics they're strict) Let me tell you. It's MUCH easier for me to get a firearm illegally than legally. It's not even THAT expensive. I checked.

I realize a lot more now why the electoral college exists. I met plenty of Trump supporters, but they're discouraged and don't vote. For every Trump person I met there were 20 people acting as if he was the anti christ. They're woefully uninformed voters, even though many people in the city are highly "educated." they take their marching orders from the talking points and it shows.
    My Daddy stopped there going to and fro the Big War. He said he couldn’t understand what they talking about or what they ate in the restaurants. He just pointed at stuff on the menu. It was like a furrin country.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    My uncle, a native Texan, has a beef farm in upstate NY. Long story but upstate NY is like most rural areas of the country. Sheriffs dont enforce unjust laws, people are good although more cold on a first meeting than a southerner.

He bitches all the time about the blue politics and I always ask him why the hell did you leave Texas. He got tired of the heat but I really dont get it:facepalm:
    Worked with and have some upstater pals. They seem like down to earth folks. One cute story at a school I went to had a capt of the Noo Yawk upstate police. He said they had stout rules that anytime it snowed the Trooper persons was supposed to put chains on their tires which they carried in the trunk. Came a big blizzard one day and a nice old lady called in and said, “I have an NY state cop car upside down in my front yard.” The dispatcher ask her..well is the driver hurt? She say, “I don’t think so..he is busy putting on his snow chains.”

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    The people were moistly rude Does that mean they pee on you?
    My first trip to NYC, 62. Went to see the Rockeetes, after the show, street was lined with LEO, bomb scare. Flight out was delayed die to bomb threat, board, un-board, get your luggage and security checks every bag, re-board, un-board, etc. Wasn't too bad walking around by yourself then. No way now.

EXACTLY!!!

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    I was in LA a few weeks ago. Every single news story on the local channels out there is either about Climate Change or Hate Crimes (with a pic of Trump)

My coworker out there lost some guns in a tragic boating accident

I feel naked as well walking around strange cities without my gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a POW in the LA area until I retired last year. As far as gun laws go, California is nuts. The LTC licenses are left up to the local Sheriffs and Police Chiefs. Live in a rural area? An LTC is generally simple to get; live in a large city, like LA and it's impossible. I had 4 out of state permits but could not get one in CA due to my residence.

Was your coworker a member of Calguns.net? A TBA was a common reason one would give whenever confiscation of certain weapon types would begin......now that Gavin Newscum is the GOV, it's just a matter of time.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Since I'm drinking and on the internet I'll share a couple big city trips.

Been to NY a few times. But the last was in Aug 2001. My group of friends had made friends with a group of philly girls on a cruise a year or two before then. We took a trip up to see them. We hung out in philly, the Jersey shore and NY. On the taxi ride from the airport in philly we saw a guy jump a cop and a construction worker help the cop subdue the guy. We had a good time there with our friends being our tour guides.

We went to NY to hang out with a couple of the girls friends. They both worked in one of the smaller world trade center buildings. Had fun there too. I still remember 7 of us stayed in a hotel room with the footprint of a king size bed. One of my buddies said I can't find the tv remote. I said are you fucking kidding me. I reached out and started changing channels with my finger bc the tv was so f'ing close and said what do you want to watch dumb ass.

My gf and I just got back from boston. She had never been and wanted to take a trip for Valentine's day. I lived there ~10 years ago. I like boston. Most of the people i worked with were conservative. But they didn't like me saying "no ma'am, yes sir". I really can't remember the reason why now. Maybe they thought it was condescending in some way. My gf mentioned the same thing about people being nicer than she thought they would be. My exp is if you aren't being a dumb ass or getting in someone's way they tend to be nice. We met some people at a bar while waiting to be set at a restaurants. Turns out they were the owners and comped(sp?) us some appetizers that we would not have tried on our own that turned out great. They also gave us since other suggestions for our trip.

I know some people don't want anything to do with the craziness and crazy people in big cities. They are a pain in the ass. But I find there are times where I want to just hang out on the rim of the grand canyon and block everything else out. But there are also times I enjoy taking the T in boston and discovering what restaurant or bar is at the next stop and having a shot of powers with someone I've never met before.

Ok. My gf is finally on her way home from work so hopefully ya'll will be spared any further drunk musings(sp?) for the rest of the evening. Carry on

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We had some pals who moved to Boston. They loved it. Best beer joints in the world they said

Home of the 1lb "chicken" lobster.
    Other than a good crawfish etoufee, and some Gulf red snapper/flounder, best things in life ...

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Home of the 1lb "chicken" lobster.
    Other than a good crawfish etoufee, and some Gulf red snapper/flounder, best things

We had the chicken fried lobster with waffles at a place called saltie girl in the back bay. It's a small place and they don't do reservations. You might not think that would be a good dish but the the syrup, buttered waffle and fried lobster was a decadent combination.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Made a couple of trips into NYC in the late 70s. Stayed at the upper end of Central Park and wandered the streets in the area at night no problems. Bought couple of magnums of champaign one night and boarded a handsome cab for a ride around the park. Driver let the horse drive, turned around and enjoyed drinking with us. Said the only problems in the park was at the Harlem end. He was Aussie.
    We had fun at P.J. Clarkes..friendly people liked to hear the north vs south talk with accents and food was good. The Tavern on the Green...not so much; people and food sucked.
    Years later met several folks from upstate and have never met better people!!!
    And that is all I have to say about that place........................

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I drove charters and tours in the northeast for 10 years.
    A forty foot coach is a bit of a bother in NYC and Boston. Try finding a parking space for a bus.

Top Bottom