Texas SOT

Battery replacement is more than the car is worth.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Nearly $30k to replace battery. KBB says car is worth $24,000-$27,000 :laughing:

1661535076775.png
    Lynx Defense

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Based on the odometer, that battery costs 42 cents per mile...but think about all the money they saved by not buying gas! Based on $30k plus charging costs, that little Volt was comparable in cost to a gas engine getting about 7 or 8 mpgs at best.

I also just read where Ford's Mustang Mach-e price will go up as much as $8k due to increased battery cost...similar with the F150 lightning. Yeah, I though battery costs were suppose to go DOWN once more EVs became available.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    That's a rip off if there ever was one - Prius battery replacements are/were only about $10-12K for the whole shebang, if you weren't capable of doing it yourself. I'm sure their battery design has changed, but on gen 1 prius, it was basically a series of laptop batteries (a LOT of them) - my old boss bought a used prius for a song, because it had a "failing" battery. His son - journeyman electrician - tested each cell, determined only 2 were bad. Bought replacement cells online and replaced them for about $400. His wife is still driving that stupid thing. The 12v battery in them tends to last about 7 years - its the same size as a 51R (typical Honda civic battery) - but its an AGM with skinny terminals, so instead of a $100 replacement part, its $250.

I'm not sold on the notion of battery cars yet, either full electric or hybrid - but I think a hybrid that operates like a diesel electric locomotive would be great.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    My wife just bought her 2nd (combustion engine) RAV4 with all the bells and whistles.

Even though, I'm a pick up kinda guy, it is quite the looker...

ev vehicle?...never in my rather limited (her's too) lifetime.

Yep, we're geezers with no love of 'elitist's' ideas of what's best for us plebes...

What the 'elites' want is for us to go back to horse/plow/buggy...fk. them.

Yeah, cannon fodder...?

Fine by me...maybe my contribution will help...

I have 6 years as an infantry guy...might still be worth a little...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Only $10-12k ???

Compared to $26k, 12k is a bargain. Still worth more than the rest of the car, at that point. Even at $5K - that's more than most any other system repair on an aging car. A replacement transmission would average around $3500, with a disgusting markup by the shop (a shop owner shared with me once that he was getting transmissions for $6-800 depending on the model, and it took about a day of labor - so @ $50 / hr - that's still only $400 for labor charge, and his techs weren't getting the full $50 - so for $1,000-1200, he'd make $2300-2500 per job over costs - and this was a busy shop that rarely had slow periods)

12K is still being raped without lube, but its at least getting the reach around vs the $26k raw dogging you get on a Volt.

OneGunTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2021
    Houston
    I tried to respond to the "Fuel Prices" thread, but it evaporated. My post there applies to this thread as well:

California is a failed state! The governor provides us with plenty of evidence. We can start with the legalization of theft that has allowed organized rings to empty stores without fear of arrest or prosecution. Another example is the exodus of native Commiefornians to free states such as Texas and Florida. Unfortunately, they bring their liberal ideals with them. And then we have the recent ban on gas-powered vehicles, lawn equipment, etc. Considering that CA experiences brown-outs due to insufficient power generation capacity, imagine when all of these new electric cars are charging. However, the Governor is myopic because he has no real implementation plan and has not figured out how to solve the solar panel and battery disposal problem. Both items contain hazardous chemicals that cannot be landfilled. Most of all, how will CA replace the fuel taxes? I expect CA will impose a tax on breathing air, but I could be wrong. What I fear the most is the mass exodus of people because they can't afford to purchase these expensive electric vehicles and they also move East toward the free states. I am in favor of walling off CA from the rest of the lower 48 states. I'd be happier if we could kick CA out of the USA.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Compared to $26k, 12k is a bargain. Still worth more than the rest of the car, at that point. Even at $5K - that's more than most any other system repair on an aging car. A replacement transmission would average around $3500, with a disgusting markup by the shop (a shop owner shared with me once that he was getting transmissions for $6-800 depending on the model, and it took about a day of labor - so @ $50 / hr - that's still only $400 for labor charge, and his techs weren't getting the full $50 - so for $1,000-1200, he'd make $2300-2500 per job over costs - and this was a busy shop that rarely had slow periods)

12K is still being raped without lube, but its at least getting the reach around vs the $26k raw dogging you get on a Volt.
    $12k for batteries is NEVER a bargain in my book. It is outrageous. $26k is just more outrageous.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Considering the power pack is essentially the engine for these things, I have a hard time accepting a life-limited engine that (generally) can’t be rebuilt.

Imagine if your lates F-150 needed the 302 ci V8 replaced every couple of years.

Disposable power packs, whether internal combustion or electric, bothers me. Seems counter to conservation efforts in a lot of ways.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Yeah but you are not taking into consideration the ecological savings of an EV. No tail pipe emissions. Of course there are those darned pesky coal powered generating plants we need to power the EV along with lithium and a bunch of other rare earth stuff mined by children. But lets not focus on the negatives. (this is my sarcasm font)

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Considering the power pack is essentially the engine for these things, I have a hard time accepting a life-limited engine that (generally) can’t be rebuilt.

Imagine if your lates F-150 needed the 302 ci V8 replaced every couple of years.

Disposable power packs, whether internal combustion or electric, bothers me. Seems counter to conservation efforts in a lot of ways.

And it would be counter to them...if conservation was actually the goal. Kind of like public safety isn't actually the goal of the gun control industry.

P

Prelude97

When we traded in our 2018 Volt, at Carmax, they gave us $27,850k for it. I was shocked that they gave us such a great price. Our entire household drives EV's now. Weve been on them for awhile with no issues at all. Our electric bill gas gone up very insignificantly.
    But too boot, one of our EV's is violently fast, like ridiculously fast.
    Really liked our volt when we had it, but it had its time and place, like most things, it was time to move on.
    What really like about our current EV's other then the fact that they have actually gone crazy up in value, are ridiculous fast, and have made driving such a dynamically different change in our lives but that they are made in the US.
    The US is leading the way in automobile industry again. Im proud to support that. Also Tesla, which we own, is a Texas company.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I tried to respond to the "Fuel Prices" thread, but it evaporated. My post there applies to this thread as well:

California .... Most of all, how will CA replace the fuel taxes?
    How? By increasing the tax on electric power. Have you seen how much they are paying for power there?

Top Bottom