• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm sadly entering the phase of life where it was necessary to give my teenager a phone. I wanted to hold off till he turned 16 (driving age) but honestly, he's more responsible in *some* ways than his grandma (who lives with us) so when my wife and I are away, and with the long damn days I'm putting in between work and school now, I wanted a way to directly communicate with him to keep the lines open.

I was looking at just adding another line to our existing account, but then I found the Bark Phone and decided that was the solution - it gives us control over the content he's allowed to consume, the apps he's allowed to use, it monitors his activity for signs of depression / mental health issues / bullying (I believe as the recipient or perpetrator) etc. I've got the phone locked down just enough that he can't use the stuff that is obviously rife with pedos and creepers (facebook, insta, snap, Roblox, etc) while still giving him some freedom (YouTube, texting, calling, games that don't have the ability for pedos to reach out, etc) - and better yet its cheaper than adding yet another expensive damn phone to the plan + the line for service. I opted for a service plan that only allows internet over Wifi for him, but has unlimited calls / texts.

They use a built in VPN for privacy, and I've got controls on both my phone and desktop to tweak settings / approve actions / get alerts of concerning actions.

As he gets older, the reins will losen as he matures but for now I think this is a good solution. His friends in our neighborhood all have horror stories of groomers / pedos trying to get them to talk or send pix (boys and girls) and while the parents have deleted apps, they didn't have solid parental controls installed and the kids just re-downloaded the shit, or worse yet in one girls case, an aunt redownloaded shit and made a secret TikTok account for her and of course pedos were almost instantly in her DM's. I think dad just wound up taking the phone and then reaming the ass of the aunt that went behind his / his wife's back on that one. I don't need my kid getting perved on by Chester the Molester so I like this more secure setup.

The phone isn't exactly state of the art, but its not terrible either, the one they sent is a Samsung Galaxy A. Good enough for a 13 year old.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My "kids" are 25 to 34yo now. Oldest two got phones at 16 and youngest one at 13. Sounds like they have better options now for locking down though my oldest ones had flip phones back then versus smart phones. We've always had computers at home which is where we worried about content back then.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Never heard of Bark phones before but thanks for the info. I'll be checking it out since I've got 12 and 13 year old boys and they'll be needing phones in the near future.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    With your proximity to the renfest DO NOT allow him to work or attend with just friends. That place is totally loaded with kiddie diddlers.

Ohyeah, *I* still haven't even been to renfest. Wife has, but I was working and she went with friends. Its reputation alone makes it not a place I'd let him go without one of us with him.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Never heard of Bark phones before but thanks for the info. I'll be checking it out since I've got 12 and 13 year old boys and they'll be needing phones in the near future.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ohyeah, *I* still haven't even been to renfest. Wife has, but I was working and she went with friends. Its reputation alone makes it not a place I'd let him go without one of us with him.
    When he is 18 and suffering with hormone rage & and fully aware of avoiding drugs and knows the importance of wrapping that rascal. Let him get a job as a bar back at the Sea Devil. He can earn serious cash and ogle all kinds of sweet young things.

Top Bottom