• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Slammed trucks go against Texas and everything Texas is about. They are an abomination.

Leave them in Kali where they belong.
    ARJ Defense ad

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'm not a fan of lowered trucks either. But to say "it ruins the point of having a truck" is incorrect. You can still tow the same amount with them.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Yep. Capacity can be dimensioned or increased depending on how it's done.
    As far as GVWR, it will remain the same.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yep. Capacity can be dimensioned or increased depending on how it's done.
    As far as GVWR, it will remain the same.

Not if major suspension work has been done. GVRW is what the vehicle is rated to haul total and suspension change will completely change the factory rating.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There is NO difference in frames between a 1/2 ton truck, & a 1 ton truck, I figured there was?

If one was to swap the parts from a 1 ton truck to a 1/2 truck, then the 1/2 ton truck could carry 1 ton?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Since HS I have always wanted a 70SS

209635d1305054592-what-classic-muscle-car-would-you-own-70chevelle7leftside.jpg

There we were, LBJ Frwy (635) in N Dallas around 1 am on Sunday nite (Mon morn). We met up there a couple of times a month. Head E on LBJ, take the Preston Rd Exit, Texas turn around and reenter on to LBJ, pull over around Marsh La IIRC there will be a group of guys pulled over. Mostly Chevy iron, lot of Corvettes from the Corvette club. We would have drag races and bench racing out there. Sometime the cops would come over radar us then tell us how fast we were going. In those day there was NO traffic. I had a '69, 427, 435 Hp Corvette and it was fairly fast, could been a lot quicker if I could get rid of those 3:55 rear cogs.

I had run a couple of other vettes heads up and beat them, stood around a bench raced a while, getting late and needed to head home. One of the vette guys said same and says will race you to Inwood Rd, I said sure. We lined up and dropped and he saw nothing but tail lights. I will take the next exit after Inwood to get home. I NAILED it to the firewall and was in 3rd gear when I see some headlights come down the exit ramp, suddenly this (70?) Chevy SS SUCKS my vette into its intake as he goes past me...WTH and he is nothing but tail lights. I look down and I am around 135 mph getting ready to hit 4th gear. I see his brake lights come on and time I get to him he is sitting on the side of LBJ smoking a Camel. I pull over...He is a airline pilot and this Chevy SS is his race car. He had raced that day over at Green Valley and came home and done some work in his rig then headed to LBJ to wring it out. I told him what we did and where. He showed up, was a great guy and that SS was a stormer. He was running in high 10's with that thing IIRC. That was FAST for a street legal rig back then...I will never forget as it was not often I got my doors blown off like that.

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    There is NO difference in frames between a 1/2 ton truck, & a 1 ton truck, I figured there was?

If one was to swap the parts from a 1 ton truck to a 1/2 truck, then the 1/2 ton truck could carry 1 ton?
    Material wise there is not much difference but overall deminsions usually are depending on year. Older vehicle's there isn't hardly a difference but today there is due to options and sheer size difference. Between 3/4 and 1 1/2 ton there is little to no difference besides suspension and drive train options.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

I will assume you are kidding.

Frame, engine, axle sets, transmission, drive shafts, just about everything except the bodywork.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I will assume you are kidding.

Frame, engine, axle sets, transmission, drive shafts, just about everything except the bodywork.

Actually it was a question due to the following post....

Not if major suspension work has been done. GVRW is what the vehicle is rated to haul total and suspension change will completely change the factory rating.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Actually it was a question due to the following post....
    I answered it to an extent. Like I said model and vehicle type vary.

Not sure if that's where your question was meant to go though or if the concept of Gvrw is fully understood. It is what the factory vehicle is rated to move around not tow. Any changes in suspension will affect it be it more capacity or less.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Not sure if that's where your question was meant to go though or if the concept of Gvrw is fully understood. It is what the factory vehicle is rated to move around not tow. Any changes in suspension will affect it be it more capacity or less.

Yes, you did answer it, I was replying to Ole Cowboy's comment, & his difference of opinion.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Incorrect.
    GVWR is what it comes with. Making the suspension stiffer or softer will not change what is printed on the tag in your door jamb. The only way to truly change the GVRW is to get it recertified.

And you can lower a truck and still load it with the same weight or more. Again, it depends on how it's done.

Depends on make and years.

Like you said, GVRW pertains to how much can be moved.
    Not how much you can set on the back of the truck to make it squat or not.
    So, suspension changes will not change the GVWR if done right.

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Incorrect.
    GVRW is what it comes with. Making the suspension stiffer or softer will not change what is printed on the tag in your door jamb. The only way to truly change the GVRW is to get it recertified.

And you can lower a truck and still load it with the same weight or more. Again, it depends on how it's done.

Depends on make and years.

Like you said, GVRW pertains to how much can be moved.
    Not how much you can set on the back of the truck to make it squat or not.
    So, suspension changes will not change the GVRW if done right.

Gvrw is what it can move in factory form cargo included. Towing is different.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/gvwr.htm

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    And? Just like it says in the article. It's a weight limit to what you can tow (ETA: tow being total traveling weight, whether it be on a trailer or not). Not how much weight you set on the back of the truck....
    You can remove all but 2-3leaf springs and do all the things you can with the 10-12 that are on a typical 1ton if you use air bags.
    And guess what, won't change the GVWR

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    And? Just like it says in the article. It's a weight limit to what you can tow (ETA: tow being total traveling weight, whether it be on a trailer or not). Not how much weight you set on the back of the truck....
    You can remove all but 2-3leaf springs and do all the things you can with the 10-12 that are on a typical 1ton if you use air bags.
    I don't disagree with that provided the air bags are rated for it. That would be a proper example. Cutting leafs out or heating springs is wrong. Drop spindles and shackles work but can change other factors.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I don't disagree with that provided the air bags are rated for it. That would be a proper example. Cutting leafs out or heating springs is wrong. Drop spindles and shackles work but can change other factors.
    Nah. Ghetto...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

This is incorrect. GVWR is the weight of the vehicle on the axles. It has nothing to do with towing capacity besides hitch weight. You have a total GVWR and each axle is rated independently on the door jam.

Top Bottom